Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

Best place to buy MMD online?

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Right now I’m wearing a .9 carat earth grown diamond, but my fiancé said I can upgrade to a bigger stone once he gets back from deployment. I’m looking for a diamond in the 1.3-1.5 carat range that is at least a G color, eye clean, and super ideal cut. Where is the best place to buy online?

Last edited:

mwilliamanderson

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Right now I’m wearing a .9 carat earth grown diamond, but my fiancé said I can upgrade to a bigger stone once he gets back from deployment. I’m looking for a diamond in the 1.3-1.5 carat range that is at least a G color, eye clean, and super ideal cut. Where is the best place to buy online?
There’s a lot of crappy cut MMD out there from what I can see. Some of these are labeled super ideal when they don’t even conform to ideal standards. Rhino has a great reputation and is doing some beautifully cut stones. That’s where I’d look.

www.AugustVintageInc.com

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a thread in this section titled 'List of MMD sellers' or something like that - have a quick read if you can find it, but you would be in very safe hands with Rhino so that is an excellent option!

cursus

Rough_Rock
I bought mine from Better than Diamond and I'm very happy with it
Center stone Takara Lab diamond H/VS 2,04 ct

Reactions: JrJ

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I would look at Brilliant Earth to get an idea of what you like, they have a huge selection. James Allen sells MMDs now, but their selection is smaller and more expensive. I just purchased one from 1215 Diamonds, it is a Diamond Foundry diamond. I'm getting it tomorrow! They don't have 360 interactive videos, but do have a decent amount of videos and all have the certificates on the website, I just think its better to go there once you know what you really want.

What is your budget?

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
4K max

I would look at Brilliant Earth to get an idea of what you like, they have a huge selection. James Allen sells MMDs now, but their selection is smaller and more expensive. I just purchased one from 1215 Diamonds, it is a Diamond Foundry diamond. I'm getting it tomorrow! They don't have 360 interactive videos, but do have a decent amount of videos and all have the certificates on the website, I just think its better to go there once you know what you really want.

What is your budget?

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
$3199 Hearts & Arrows 1.38 GVS1 from Clean Origin

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
$3199 Hearts & Arrows 1.38 GVS1 from Clean Origin

Only scores very good with HCA. I'd keep looking.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I was gonna say haha a 43 PA is not acceptable
The pavilion angle is 40.9....Personally, I refuse to pay for the HCA calculator, especially since even jewelers on this very forum have said that diamonds can score over 2 and still have good light return, brilliance, etc. It’s just less likely that they will so you shouldn’t buy it without other imagery. Diamonds can score well under 2 and be awful. On Brilliant Earth you can restrict the parameters more than clean origin, I just think Clean Origin’s prices are a bit better. I hope you can find something you love! :kiss2:

Last edited:

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I saw your post over at Rockytalk and I totally get your thoughts. I too have a mined diamond that we're going to sell, as it's "tainted" by a bad experience (both me and my fiance share this sentiment).

I have ordered an AVR lab diamond for my new e-ring and I'm so excited! The mined one is 0,70 ct and the AVR will be approx 1,25 ct, so it'll be quite a difference :). I love science(so does my fiance) so going with a lab diamond seems great to us, but I can definately see and understand that others might not.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I saw your post of RT as well.. and the responses. First of all - lab grown diamonds are NOT synthetic. They ARE diamond.. just grown differently.

Secondly, this website is not indicative of the entire diamond/jewelry market. It is a mere sliver. The average $$ spent on an engagement ring is around $6000. That's stone and setting.

As with mined diamonds - the key to lab grown - is cut. There are great cutters out there (a few) but mostly run of the mill average cutters. Cut is what brings the stone to life.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Are you considering a purchase at Brilliant Earth? Read this!

I decided to upgrade my engagement ring and wedding band and I found a diamond I liked at BE so I called & put it on hold. There was a fee to place a diamond on hold which is something that Blue Nile, James Allen and High Performance Diamonds all do for free (at least, at time of writing). The fee was $150 for 48hrs or $300 for 6 days. Not wanting to rush, I used the 6 day hold certain I’d find a BE setting I liked.

**They don’t price match. I found the exact same stone somewhere else & they wouldn’t honor the price. They also charged me the hold fee 3 times! They told me they made a mistake and ran my card twice but that they would refund the extra charge. What they didn’t tell me was that they actually ran it 3 times. It wasn’t until I looked at my credit card statement did I realize they hit me with 3 $300 charges instead of 1. They did refund both extra charges.

While BE did have some settings I liked, I absolutely fell in love with a setting elsewhere. I cancelled the stone I had on hold and was told the $300 would be a credit to my account that I could use within a year. I wanted earrings too, so within a week, I placed an order for a pair of studs.

**They over charged me by $230. I realized this when I checked my credit card & it didn’t match my order. I called and was told that the price of my diamonds was more than what was listed on the website & in the email confirmation I received. After some back and forth, they agreed that they owed me a refund. A few days go by and no refund comes so I call them again. The rep confirms it wasn’t done so send sends the request off to be fixed.

So now I wait for my studs hoping that my troubles are over. I receive them on time and notice another issue (Sept. 19).

**They didn’t send me the Gia certificates (2) or appraisal for my item. I call BE again and they explain it is sometimes sent separately. They will have somebody email them to me and mail out physical copies.

**I go back to looking at my new earrings & I see a black spot on the post. Then I notice holes where the post meets the setting. The other one is fine so I know this is not normal. I call & set up a return. I receive the return authorization & it states that they will charge $250 for any Gia certificate not returned (the ones they haven’t sent me yet). I send more emails and wait for a reply.

**Nobody emails me back about these Gia certs. so I send the studs back without them the next day. Another day passes and still no response about the Gia certs. so I go onto their online chat where a rep tells me that they are no longer going to send them, and that I’m off the hook (Sept 20).

**The following day (Sept 21) I get an email confirming again that they are NOT mailing me these documents because I am returning the earrings. While I’m glad to get all of this in writing, the following day I get an email asking me for my address & saying that they are ready to send me the documents. They’ve had my address all along and I’ve had multiple people tell me the certificates won’t be sent, but now they want my address so they can send them. Maybe you can make sense of this, but I certainly cannot!

Sept 22 - earrings arrive back to BE.

Sept 27 - I follow up via chat and they say refund will be issued today **It doesn’t get issued**

Sept 28 (Sat) - I inform BE that I am giving them until end of business day on Monday to process the refund or I will be contacting my credit card company for a chargeback. To be continued when I know the end of this story...

Other notes:

• Document everything you do with BE. If you are struggling with them over an issue, they may ask you to sign an agreement in exchange for your refund, stating that you will not post a review of them publicly. There are multiple accounts of this on yelp and this is just from the people who didn’t sign it and are willing to speak out. How many people have agreed to these terms and are afraid to tell their story? If you are in this situation, you can open a dispute with your credit card company or try small claims court, instead of signing their agreement. Know your rights: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/consumer-review-fairness-act-what-businesses-need-know
  • Their faq state that they can make things in different metals (with the exception of silver). I asked about having some earrings made in rose gold that were offered in yellow gold but they said they can’t do this.
  • In the return authorization email I received, there are instructions that directly contradict each other. In one section it says that I do not need to return the materials sent with my item and in another section it says that I do. How is anyone supposed to follow instructions that make no sense?
I saw your post of RT as well.. and the responses. First of all - lab grown diamonds are NOT synthetic. They ARE diamond.. just grown differently.

Secondly, this website is not indicative of the entire diamond/jewelry market. It is a mere sliver. The average $$ spent on an engagement ring is around $6000. That's stone and setting.

As with mined diamonds - the key to lab grown - is cut. There are great cutters out there (a few) but mostly run of the mill average cutters. Cut is what brings the stone to life.

Exactly a lab grown is a diamond, you can't compare it to a moissanite (have nothing against those) as they're two different stones.
When it comes to value (mined diamond), I do believe you have way better resale value in the States than I have in my country, where they are very cheap on the resale market. This was also a determinating factor for us as we don't plan to sell the lab diamond in the future.

I don't have the gift of foresight and we'll see how the market changes, but it is what it is, and it doesn't bother me personally. My fiance doesn't love me less because we decided to go with a lab grown and we could have bought a mined one if we wanted to but we'd rather spend our money on other things.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sick of the attitude about MMDs from so many on rocky talky. Why are people so disdainful? Part of me wonders if they are concerned with lab created stones devaluing their mined ones? A diamond is a diamond is a diamond. And no diamond is a great investment...it still depreciates. I guess if you’re buying with the sole intent of selling it...but to me it’s a forever purchase. I’m buying one as an addition to my original engagement ring, not a replacement.

lovemochi

Rough_Rock
I’m so sick of the attitude about MMDs from so many on rocky talky. Why are people so disdainful? Part of me wonders if they are concerned with lab created stones devaluing their mined ones? A diamond is a diamond is a diamond. And no diamond is a great investment...it still depreciates. I guess if you’re buying with the sole intent of selling it...but to me it’s a forever purchase. I’m buying one as an addition to my original engagement ring, not a replacement.
Agreed.

I couldn't care less about what others get for their stones. The only thing that irks me is the ridicule against lab diamonds. I find that a lot of people who look down on lab diamonds are exclusive mined diamond sellers themselves (see the Reddit diamond community), and are probably worried that they will lose business. Their only reasoning ever for not getting a lab diamond is because "they have no resale value". Thank you for your opinion, but that only matters to people who plan on selling/upgrading, and even then, they don't get much back for it.

My lab diamond ring will be my forever ring.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I'm happy that you guys wrote and ventilated your thougths here (am sorry if we're hijacking the thread though).

I was a bit frustrated yesterday and did contemplate weither I should start a thread here, touching on this matter, or not.

Lately these three comments,(paraphrasing and not mentioning any names) from here and reddit, I found particularly disdainful.

First: To get a lab diamond is just fake as it's just a way to keep up with the Joneses.

In some cases it might be true but it's certainly not the case for me.
Well I'm sorry if you feel that way, I guess you would want every lab diamond owner to wear a visible sign that says that it's in fact not a "real" diamond in your ring, so those who want to can judge away.

Second: They're fashion jewelry because the allmighty De Beers says so.

It is a diamond, plain and simple, I understand that it's hard to accept but here we are.

Third: The ring on your finger should be worth something (not useless like a lab diamond).

I don't even know where to start with this one so I'll just leave it here.

Thank you for reading through my ramble and excuse any typos/mistakes as english is not my first language.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'm happy that you guys wrote and ventilated your thougths here (am sorry if we're hijacking the thread though).

I was a bit frustrated yesterday and did contemplate weither I should start a thread here, touching on this matter, or not.

Lately these three comments,(paraphrasing and not mentioning any names) from here and reddit, I found particularly disdainful.

First: To get a lab diamond is just fake as it's just a way to keep up with the Joneses.

In some cases it might be true but it's certainly not the case for me.
Well I'm sorry if you feel that way, I guess you would want every lab diamond owner to wear a visible sign that says that it's in fact not a "real" diamond in your ring, so those who want to can judge away.

Second: They're fashion jewelry because the allmighty De Beers says so.

It is a diamond, plain and simple, I understand that it's hard to accept but here we are.

Third: The ring on your finger should be worth something (not useless like a lab diamond).

I don't even know where to start with this one so I'll just leave it here.

Thank you for reading through my ramble and excuse any typos/mistakes as english is not my first language.
Some people are just jerks. Ignore them.

I'm going to address #2 - because there is a reason De Beers calls their Lightbox line "fashion". It's because they do not offer anything above 10kt gold... and....the stones are small. De Beers doesn't want to what we call "bastardize" their mined diamond sales. They also realize their mined diamond sales are having serious issues. Sales are way down. So....they had to diversify.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As another viewpoint, it is quite likely you will come across a similar range of positive/negative opinions when you are sharing your new MMD diamond to family and friends and acquaintances. As long as you and your partner are secure in your choice, that's all that matters, right?

FWIW I have bought two beautiful MMD from Diamond Foundry. They were reasonably priced and performed well. Diamond Foundry's shipping and customer service were satisfactory, and their return process was quick. I do recommend Diamond Foundry particularly for specialty cuts.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
I also don’t understand why people hate on MMDs. I totally get why some people were outraged that we would sell a natural diamond for a lab grown (luckily I talked to my fiancé and he said we can keep my earth grown)! But regarding MMDs in general, it’s a freaking diamond. I don’t care if it’s made in a lab or the earth. I want to have a bigger diamond, my fiancé is willing to pay for me to get an MMD, and the beauty about the whole situation is that nobody has to know it’s lab grown diamond unless I tell them. And if they want to judge, who cares? Personally, I recently had a coworker admit that her 2 carat stunner is a MMD and that’s where I got the whole idea. Her diamond is HUGE and it cost probably about as much as my natural grown .90 did. If I had to pick between an earth grown or a MMD, I would pick earth grown, but not everyone is in that fortunate of a financial predicament. So the alternative is to achieve the same look by much cheaper means, and that I’m OK with.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to be clear, for me, I've concluded that laboratory-grown diamonds are not for me. No real surprise to me as I had already checked out and decided against laboratory-grown colored gemstones.

That said, I am glad there are well-cut and affordable laboratory-grown and synthetic options in diamonds and colored gemstones for those who want them.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I have to say that I already knew there wasn’t much support here for lab diamonds because you don’t get near as much help when you post about one as you would a mined one but I also feel like there are some valid reasons to go with lab. I don’t see anything “fake” about it or appreciate comments like they just can’t afford it poor them so they get a lab diamond so be grateful you can afford and have a mined one.
Some people are completely against the mining industry but still love the idea of having a stone they can keep forever. Some people even though they have the money to spend on the equivalent mined version choose not to well, because it’s the same thing for half the price. If someone has two coke bottles and tells me they’re both coke and taste exactly the same but one comes from the coke factory and the other one was made locally, one costs 5k and the other one just 5 bucks, I’m that person that will pay 5 bucks even with the 5k in my pocket for the same tasting drink.
Just as I don’t judge people for buying mined diamonds knowing the ethical reasons, I don’t think I should be judged on choosing a lab diamond because of how it’s made or the price of it.

Rant over :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and the beauty about the whole situation is that nobody has to know it’s lab grown diamond unless I tell them.
Or if the bf is stupid enough to give her the lab report. :whistle:

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know what GCAL’s rounding is for pavilion angles? If it says the PA angle is 41 that means it’s either 40.9 or 41 right? And then a PA angle of 41.1 would get rounded to 41.2?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know what GCAL’s rounding is for pavilion angles? If it says the PA angle is 41 that means it’s either 40.9 or 41 right? And then a PA angle of 41.1 would get rounded to 41.2?
I'm not sure if @denverappraiser might know this - he has previously commented on the GCAL reports IIRC :)

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if @denverappraiser might know this - he has previously commented on the GCAL reports IIRC :)
The diamond we got is a 55t/34/41 and it got under a 2 HCA when entered with 40.9 and 41 but it got a 2.1 with a 41.1. So I’m waiting for it to get here to decide whether or not to keep it! I’ve read some posts where trade members say that 34/41 is a great combo! I’m excited :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond we got is a 55t/34/41 and it got under a 2 HCA when entered with 40.9 and 41 but it got a 2.1 with a 41.1. So I’m waiting for it to get here to decide whether or not to keep it! I’ve read some posts where trade members say that 34/41 is a great combo! I’m excited :)
2... 2.1... Garry has previously said that up to mid-2s should be fine - they just need extra analysis, I believe!

Will look forward to your thoughts when it arrives :))

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll ask the people at GCAL but I'm pretty sure they use the same rules as GIA. It's a bit strange. There are 8 measurements that are used to generate the pavilion angle. They're first truncated, then rounded, then averaged, then rounded again to the nearest 0.2 degrees.

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
I spoke with Angelo who confirmed the above. Although they don't publish them on their final reports, they can provide you with all 8 underlying measurements on request.

Thank you! Do you know how I go about making that request? I’m a little weary about the 41 pavilion angle just from what I’ve read on other threads. It seems like it can be hit or miss

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.