shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Pearl Necklace Length And MM Size For Casual Wear

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering what length of pearl necklace and mm size would be best for a jeans a t-shirt type type of girl. I love the look of pearls but want a more relaxed look as I don't dress up very often and work in an office where jeans and t-shirts are the norm. I thought perhaps a longer strand but with smaller mm pearls?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I do think of smaller pearls as going best with a jeans and t-shirt, but I'm sure it could go a number of different ways. It could even be that more formal pearls look great with it, just depending on your personal style and preference. I think short or long could work and probably a color, not white, and/or baroque shape. Maybe metallic lavender rice shaped pearls or circle' Tahitians? Also, a tin cup or a pendant can seem more casual than a strand, in my opinion.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I would think it depends on the style of neckline you usually wear. If it's a V neck, I would suggest maybe a 17-18 inch depending on your size and size of pearls you buy. The larger the MM the longer you will want it, perhaps up to 20". I wear scoop neck tanks most days so they don't interfere with my pearl strands or necklaces.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think tin cup or mixed metal and pearl style of a necklace is more casual than a full strand. Longer strand would be great but size of pearls doesn't have to be small. Here's are couple of examples of what I would consider casual. The price seems to be very high so I wouldn't purchase there but price out the design at other recommended vendors.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/honora-style-cultured-freshwater-pearl-8-1-2mm-link-necklace-in-sterling-silver?ID=1613419&CategoryID=21996&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DHonoraStyle%26STONE%3DPearl%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D56%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D21

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/honora-style-cultured-freshwater-pearl-station-chain-necklace-in-sterling-silver-10mm?ID=1613425&CategoryID=9569&zone=PDP_ZONE_A&choiceId=cidAX0011-0c7f99c4-1843-4531-87e5-0e713a90ff5c@H7@Customers%20Also%20Shopped$9569$1613425&LinkType=PDPZ1_Pos1

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I would say a simple shorter strand (depending on your neck size 16" to 19") of multicolor metallics. They're not too expensive and really pretty and go with everything. I consider these my casual strands. MM is something like 8 or 9 on my two strands. You could go down to 6-7 mm if you want less presence. Both necklaces below are from POJ and are multicolor drop metallics and multicolor round metallics:

Or a small fireball pendant, also from POJ:

I consider these three options casual and they add such a pretty touch to any outfit:

http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Maven-Collection_c_117.html

poj_metallic_1.jpg

poj_metallic_2.jpg

poj_metallic_fireball_2.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't think there's a rule, as such. T shirts can be very casual to sloppy or very smart designer and the neckline can vary. If your usual neckline is a simple round the neck then unless the T is plain I would go for a bracelet and earrings combination. A high neckline doesn't really do it for pearls which always look best against skin rather than fabric.
If you have a lower cut then anything which doesn't sit exactly half way between the bottom of your neck and the neckline is good (half way foreshortens both)
With a pendant you might like to think about whether the pendant acts as an arrow - that impression would depend on the shape of the pendant, length of the chain and the atmosphere in the office!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think baroques are more casual than rounds, and multicoloured & coloured strands are more casual than solid white ones. Sometimes longer strands can also look more casual too (I wear my 36 inch strand of metallic whites with a t-shirt and skirt). Really, whatever calls you will be good.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Gemmy when I was in my very early thirties my sweet husband gave me a strand of 9.5mm akoyas 22 inches long. It did not matter what I had on shorts to evening gowns I had that strand on. I am a jeans and T shirt girl was then and still am but that strand was worn with every outfit imaginable. So my advice to you is find a strand or pearl that makes your heart sing, wear it with confidence, head held high and it will be perfect on and for you no matter what kind or style it is. Just enjoy wearing it.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Gemmy123 - I like the idea of getting 9-10 mm white pearls (metallic freshwaters would be dynamite!) in a longer strand, maybe 22-26" and then get a pearl shortener so you could wear it short or long. No matter what, wear your pearls with confidence and beauty!

Gemzy

Rough_Rock
Layers of pearls can look more casual too, more than one strand of differing lengths/styles, maybe a tincup plus a smaller mm longish strand of baroques or small keishi of same pearl type featuring similar colours. Lariat tied in a knot or with a funky clasp is a great look with jeans and a tee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results