shape
carat
color
clarity

Best custom setting in NYC

Acrata

Rough_Rock
Who do you recommend for the best custom setting work in NYC? This is for a platinum engagement ring containing a 3.65 ct round diamond with tapered baguettes on a 3.5 size finger.

Something like this: http://www.debeers.com/db-classic-solitaire-ring-with-tapered-baguettes-j1ex03bp

I know she wants it to be as low as possible with as little metal as possible. I want the setting to have something custom/unique to differentiate from the many tapered baguette settings I see among my friends.

Searching, I found a few possibilities that I listed below. Any others you'd recommend?

Leon Mege
Steven Kirsch
(Maybe BE or IDJ)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon Mege is famous for his low set diamonds, his work is gorgeous, although I have never worked with him.
Steven kirsch is equally talented in my opinion and he is very easy going based on what I have seen.

I love IDJ, but would prefer the above two.

Many here are happy with BE.

It is probably worth asking for quotes form the vendors and going from there.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
An in addition to quotes, whomever can work with your requested timeframe.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask if they'll work with outside stones.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I spoke with Leon once, he was not able to quote me for the same type of setting you are doing. He required I mail him my stone before he would do a ballpark estimate so it might be best to just walk in and speak with him if you live in NYC. I didn't want to waste $800 in shipping fees and our time if his cost were out of the budget. He does very nice work and should be able to work with your stone. I also sent an email to Steven Kirsch but have yet to hear back after two weeks.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You say, "I want the setting to have something custom/unique to differentiate from the many tapered baguette settings I see among my friends." I think the question is in what way? You could have the shank engraved with a design or alter the side profile. You coud also use a tapered bullet rather than the baguette hat would make it more unique (see below). Or...how about french cuts?

Alternate profile with mixed cuts in shank
110cb2629bbf030494b07555721f3751--vintage-inspired-diamond-rings.jpg

Tapered Bullet
images

French Cuts
f48935dcb55524b6c886b7b198773d82--diamond-rings.jpg

Are you wanting a hand-forged or cast setting? VC, LM and SK are all hand-forged. Another hand-forged outside of NYC would be Mytal Hannah.

If you are looking at CAD/cast, then David Klass would be a budget-friendly option. He's made plenty of setting along the lines of your inspiration. You can look him up on Instagram to see his work (call him, don't relay on email or Facebook). His engraver is unbelievably good. This is a PSers ring, I can't recall whom so maybe someone can link to their thread.

f7b56a6772c7b69882a019e88781f46a--engagement-ring-advice-diamond-engagement-rings.jpg

IDJ is also in NYC. I don't know them persoanlly, but many PSers recommend their custom bench. THey are also on INstagram, but I don't know that I've seen their engraving.

Akalahab

Shiny_Rock
I spoke with Leon once, he was not able to quote me for the same type of setting you are doing. He required I mail him my stone before he would do a ballpark estimate so it might be best to just walk in and speak with him if you live in NYC. I didn't want to waste $800 in shipping fees and our time if his cost were out of the budget. He does very nice work and should be able to work with your stone. I also sent an email to Steven Kirsch but have yet to hear back after two weeks.

I had to call SK and they gave me a quote right away - they said they never got my emails (I sent two). Wow! I got a quote from Leon without mailing a stone but the quote he gave was ridiculous compared to the others (VC, SK, HM). I was reading on here though that in person he is nicer.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI Leon Mege requires all stones be purchased from him with the following exceptions:
"All diamonds and gemstones are purchased directly from us. Own stone is acceptable only in case we are unable to match the competitor’s price or it’s an heirloom that's been in your family for many years."

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had to call SK and they gave me a quote right away - they said they never got my emails (I sent two). Wow! I got a quote from Leon without mailing a stone but the quote he gave was ridiculous compared to the others (VC, SK, HM). I was reading on here though that in person he is nicer.

Yeah, I thought it was odd that he told me on the phone that he required to have the stone in person before giving me a quote even after I sent the specs an photos...I didn't want to do that unless I was actually going to use his services. I ended up going with David Klass for my setting but I really liked the customer service from Maytal Hannah (hand forged was just out of my budget)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could say that getting quotes from AOP is easy for requests phrased very simply, in relation with one of their designs, e.g. via the 'Request a quote' slots online. I imagine there are some rings with rounds & baguettes listed in the portfolio, so you could ask for one in the right size etc.

I do not know (true doubt, no innuendo) if they will take in with your 'outsider' stone, since AOP does provide such things in house also. Worth asking, IHMO. Not that I am delighted with the 'NOT YES' kind of 'NO' from them, documented above ...

___
Off the cuff: I am curious how baguettes will be accomodated given the small ring size & large stone [looking incredulously at my typing hand of approx. the same size]

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No recommendations but just want to show you one of my favorite baguette settings. It belongs to a PSer but I forget who...sorry...but she
has good taste.8)
baguette setting.PNG

These are pear sides but can be done with baguettes (this beautiful ring belongs to diamondbug)...
side view diamondbug.PNG

I believe both of these were created by David Klass. He is in CA.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Steven Kirsch made my setting a few years ago. He was wonderful to work with and I'm still extremely happy with my setting. He was actually excited to do something a little different, I'm sure he can do that with yours.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never worked with Steven but met wii him. Super nice and his pieces are just beautiful, delicate, and so very finely made. If you can see them in person, you will be able to tell. He may even let you look at his pave work under a microscope.

RacerDinah

Rough_Rock
I had Steven Kirsch reset my e-ring diamond with a halo and semi-eternity band 4 years ago. He was very nice, very accommodating, patient, and creative, both in person, on the phone (I don't live in NYC but did visit him once), and via email. He likes to set stones fairly low as well and he is a master with pave and halos.

I just had to ask him earring question so emailed him 2 hours ago and have already gotten a response. Try [email protected].

Acrata

Rough_Rock
I spoke with a few jewelers and decided to work with Steven Kirsch.

I think my girlfriend wants a classic design, (main round stone with tapered baguettes), so the only modification I'm making is to add some pave to the basket. Any opinions on how else to make this interesting without changing it too much? Right now, it'll probably look something like this, with pave on the basket crossbar: (ignore wedding band in photo)

profile-pave.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I'm sure Steven will do an amazing job for you.

Add pave on the side stone baskets too? Depends on how much pave you want. It's a relatively modern type of setting, so I wouldn't suggest engraving, unless she likes it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results