shape
carat
color
clarity

Best cleaner for the money? Ultrasonic? Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nikidust

Rough_Rock
I am looking for the best way to keep my jewelry clean (better than a toothbrush and windex). What should I use? I''m sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it didn''t seem to really fit anywhere. I''ve seen some ultrasonic cleaners on eby for like $50 plus $18 shipping Here and cheaper ones like Here . There are several similar models to that one and they all look similar, and really, they kinda all look like toys. I''ve read poor reviews about the cheaper ones breaking down after 6 months of use. There there is steam: Here and Here

What do you guys think? I''m also thinking that it might be smarter (if i go with steam) to get a household steam cleaner so I can use it to clean around the house as well. I can just get a pair of rubber tipped tweezers or a strainer for using it with the jewelry. Opinions?
19.gif

purpleeagle

Rough_Rock
I have thought about using my steam cleaner too. Will it work and not cause any damage to a plat. engagement ring?

familystone

Shiny_Rock
I know there are a few threads out there already but does anyone have a more definative answer on which is the safest for 3-sided micro pave?

Was thinking about geting a cleaner as a add-on to the engagement so she can clean all her jewlery. She doesn''t have that much other jewlery but the few tiffany''s pieces she has she brings back to them every year or so and loves it when they come back sparkling.

I want to get her a cleaner that will work great on all her jewlery but not damage the engagement ring either.

-Dave

nikidust

Rough_Rock
From what I''ve read, with steam cleaning you just want to make sure your stones are not loose before you steam since it uses high pressure steam and could knock a loose stone out of the setting and off to who knows where (which is why I''d use a metal mesh basket to hold the ring while steaming). BUT the thing is, if you have a loose stone, you might lose it while walking your dog or doing your laundry, and given the choice, I''d rather have it fall out where I can find it if it''s going to fall out. I''m going to try my mom''s steam cleaner on some jewelry this weekend or next week sometime. I''ll let you know what I think.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My wife''s family has a family friend who owns a jewelry store. Dude lets me go in the back and play around with the equipment. They use an ultrasonic cleaner and a steamer when cleaning clients'' jewelry pieces. To me, the steamer seems to do the most. I''ve used just one at a time and to my naked eye, the steamer seems to clean better than the ultrasonic thing. Granted, the water in the ultrasonic cleaner is always green from polishing material, but I do rinse it afterwards.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve got the steam cleaner, Jewel Jet as well as an ultrasonic, SI ultrasonic. I tend to use the steamer more often than the ultrasonic. I think if your leaning towards the ultrasonic and can invest some $$ into it, then I''d get the heated ultrasonic.
If you do a search on ultrasonic cleaners, there are a whole slew of posts on it.
The Jewel Jet is awesome. It heats up very quickly and everytime I use it, my rings look like they''ve been cleaned by a professional.

squawks

Rough_Rock
Hmm, dang - I suppose that''s one of the benefits of buying jewelry from Tiffany & Co - free lifetime cleanings/polishings! It''s actually pretty funny because I think you can actually get away with free cleaning/polishing if you took your jewelry there - it seems as if they don''t really check whether they''re authentic Tiffany jewelry (but when me and my g/f went, we did indeed have Tiffany bands to be polished).

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I think most jewelry stores will clean your rings for you while you look at what they have for sale. I am going to buy a Sharper Image ultrasonic soon though because who wants to have to wait to go to a jewelry store to clean your rings?

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
I got the Jewel Jet a few weeks ago and I LOVE it! My e-ring has never looked so clean. I was pretty fanatical about cleaning it anyway, but now it just sparkles like mad, and it''s so quick and easy that you can do it very often. I got mine off ebay for $60 I think.

nikidust

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! I''m thinking I''m going to go with steam. I think the Jewel Jet is awesome looking (impressive web site, too) but I have a large parrot for a pet, which means large cage to clean, and I can''t use chemicals around the bird or cage. I think I''ll get one of the smaller household steam cleaners. My mom has an awesome one that she spent a couple hundred bucks on, but my place is so small, even after cleaning the entire bird cage, I had to FIND things to use the rest of the water on, and you can''t leave water in the tank long term, so a smaller one would work better for me. *off to shop around*

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
steam steam steam steam..........

I have the JewelJet and it''s fantastic. Many people have commented that they''re concerned about using an ultrasonic with pave, so since if you have a pave piece, I would recommend the JewelJet wholeheartedly.

Best wishes...........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results