shape
carat
color
clarity

Best approach to get a JA diamond in a Vatche U113 setting?

TxnBluDvl

Rough_Rock
While I'm sitting here waiting for my final ASET's and IdealScope images of a JA diamond in contention, I've been thinking about settings.

JA doesn't appear to be a Vatche dealer. If I go with a six prong Tiffany setting, I think I'd like to go with the Vatche U113, as both diamondseeker2006 and sna77 have recently done. I'll probably also go 90 plat/10 iridium as diamondseeker2006 did.

I live out of state but travel to the New York City area often. I was planning to ship the diamond to myself. But, I have the ability to hand-carry it back to New York, where a lot of the PS vendors are located.

What do y'all think is the best approach for getting this JA diamond into a Vatche U113 setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Best approach to get a JA diamond in a Vatche U113 setti

I would find a local Vatche dealer with an in house bench and great reviews/reputation. You will have to pay a setting fee, potentially. But you can have them order the setting in for you based on your individual stones dimensions (lab report will do that) and then take the stone in and have it set in there.

Mark at ERD might be able to help you out. He can usually get in designer settings at a good price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Vatche has to set the stone, so you will have to take the stone to a Vatche dealer anywhere you want. It might be a disaster to have anyone else set it because doing the prongs right is so essential. I recommend Good Old Gold on Long Island who I bought mine from. If you can't make it out to Long Island, then sna ordered his through ID Jewelry in Manhattan.

Good luck and I can't wait to see your ring!

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock

JA does custom designs, just FYI.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think if you use ID Jewelry or GOG you'd be in great hands. Both are well respected PS Vendors and have teamed up with other vendors in the past, i.e buying a stone from one vendor and the setting from another so it's not an unusual request to them. If you do have a local Vatche dealer you should order the setting through them and I'd make sure they will send it to Vatche to be set. I wouldn't mention that you bought your stone online though, some local places still scoff at that. Just say you already have a stone and are looking to have it set.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade

TxnBluDvl|1330239397|3134776 said:
JA doesn't appear to be a Vatche dealer.

Hi Txn,

We actually are a Vatche dealer, although we don't have any of their designs on the website at this time. If you give your CSR the Vatche style number we can get you a price quote and arrange to have the stone set by Vatche, then shipped from our office. All return policies are exactly the same as listed on our website.

Hope this helps,

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
YoungPapa said:
TxnBluDvl|1330239397|3134776 said:
JA doesn't appear to be a Vatche dealer.

Hi Txn,

We actually are a Vatche dealer, although we don't have any of their designs on the website at this time. If you give your CSR the Vatche style number we can get you a price quote and arrange to have the stone set by Vatche, then shipped from our office. All return policies are exactly the same as listed on our website.

Hope this helps,
good to know :)

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

Good to hear. I bet they even give complimentary shipping from their office to the Vatche office. :bigsmile:

When I was at ID Jewlery looking at a stone, I told Yuketiel that I wanted to see the Vatche U-113 (hadn't mentioned it ahead of time). He didn't have it in his display--but it showed up 5 minutes later. :appl:

James Allen Office
6 East 45th Street
New York, NY 10017

Designs by Vatché
7 West 45th Street 14th Fl.
New York, NY 10036 USA

directions.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: Sharp thinking, sna!

Glad to hear JA will sell Vatche settings. That is pretty important to get on the website since Vatche settings are pretty popular around here!

TxnBluDvl

Rough_Rock

Hi James --

Thanks! That's great to know that y'all are a Vatche dealer -- wasn't aware (and hadn't had the chance to ask your staff yet) until now. Knowing that, it basically seals the deal and makes my life a whole lot easier if I head down this path.

BTW, your staff has been wonderful -- absolutely the nicest group of people, very responsive and helpful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1330309247|3135338 said:

Glad to hear JA will sell Vatche settings. That is pretty important to get on the website since Vatche settings are pretty popular around here!

Agree.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

The Vatche U113 is becoming the de facto 6 prong solitaire setting on PS. It's high quality, customizable (they'll let you change metals used), is available to all the vendors, is located in the NYC diamond district, and the turn around time is less than 2 weeks... And of yeah, it's a lot cheaper (sub $2,00) than some of the other designers (MM, LM etc).

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

sna77|1330356176|3135593 said:

The Vatche U113 is becoming the de facto 6 prong solitaire setting on PS. It's high quality, customizable (they'll let you change metals used), is available to all the vendors, is located in the NYC diamond district, and the turn around time is less than 2 weeks... And of yeah, it's a lot cheaper (sub $2,00) than some of the other designers (MM, LM etc).

I wonder if this varies by vendor? sna, your stone is near the same size as mine, but my Vatche U-113 quote (from GOG) was $2050.00. And I was told by GOG that there IS an up charge for changing to the 90/10 platinum/iridium combination. Also, Vatche has had my stone for over 2 weeks now and it's still not set, so I guess that varies too - though that has nothing to do with the vendor.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

blueiris|1330382348|3135907 said:
I wonder if this varies by vendor? sna, your stone is near the same size as mine, but my Vatche U-113 quote (just a week after DS got hers) was $2050.00. I later learned that DS's setting was $1840.00. I thought I was probably charged more due to a bigger stone but perhaps not, if you paid less. Also, I was told by GOG that there IS an up charge for changing to the 90/10 platinum/iridium combination, so that's interesting that you were told there is not. Also, Vatche has had my stone for over 2 weeks now and it's still not set, so I guess that varies too! I'll be glad to get it back and just hope that I like the way it's set, after all of this!

I actually paid less than both of you for my Vatche U113. I was also buying a $40k+ diamond from the same vendor at the time, so I imagine it was discounted heavily to persuade me to purchase the stone from them...

I think GOG just charges more than the other vendors and the up charge for switching the alloy would annoy me if it's anything significant--especially since less platinum is actually being used...

I happen to know that the wholesale price of the U113 setting is $1200. You may recall the mess that I had with my insurance claim over the subcontracted company that Liberty Mutual used to find a replacement. The subcontracted company--Continental Jewelers--LOST my wife's original setting somehow. I pushed back and told them that they'd need to pay for the Vatche setting, and they agreed. They called Vatche and were told that the wholesale price was $1200 and that they would pay up to that amount. While it didn't cover the cost of the entire setting, it certainly helped offset some of the cost. In summary, I paid more than $1200, but less than $1840. :bigsmile:

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

sna77|1330384791|3135924 said:
I actually paid less than both of you for my Vatche U113. I was also buying a $40k+ diamond from the same vendor at the time, so I imagine it was discounted heavily to persuade me to purchase the stone from them...

I think GOG just charges more than the other vendors and the up charge for switching the alloy would annoy me if it's anything significant--especially since less platinum is actually being used...

I happen to know that the wholesale price of the U113 setting is $1200. You may recall the mess that I had with my insurance claim over the subcontracted company that Liberty Mutual used to find a replacement. The subcontracted company--Continental Jewelers--LOST my wife's original setting somehow. I pushed back and told them that they'd need to pay for the Vatche setting, and they agreed. They called Vatche and were told that the wholesale price was $1200 and that they would pay up to that amount. While it didn't cover the cost of the entire setting, it certainly helped offset some of the cost. In summary, I paid more than $1200, but less than $1840. :bigsmile:

I don't actually know the exact up charge for switching the alloy; when the price was quoted to me, she just said there was a charge for doing the switch, but I too wondered why, since there is less platinum. I'm pretty sure that DS said there wasn't an up charge for the switch, but maybe between hers and mine, Vatche decided there should be. Are you happy with the 900 (at least so far)? Does it look any different than the 950 for your wife's beautiful new Tiffany band?

I'm glad you got a great deal on yours - and that the insurance company covered a good portion of it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blueiris, I am certain the price difference is because your stone is over 2 cts. I was also initially told that there would be an additional charge for the alloy change (based on their past experience with Vatche), but in the end, I was NOT charged any extra. I think Vatche must get lots of requests for the alloy change now from people who read this forum!

ID Jewelry does do what they have to do to make a sale, I will say that for them!

(Just as a note, Tiffany platinum is the other hard alloy of 95plat/5ruthenium. These two alloys look the same to me. It is the softer 95plat/5iridium that scratches more easily making it develop the gray patina more easily. My vintage 5 stone band is the 90/10 and it looked perfectly new when I got it, so I know it really holds up well over a long time with a simple polish!)

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1330399142|3136077 said:
Blueiris, I am certain the price difference is because your stone is over 2 cts. I was also initially told that there would be an additional charge for the alloy change (based on their past experience with Vatche), but in the end, I was NOT charged any extra. I think Vatche must get lots of requests for the alloy change now from people who read this forum!

ID Jewelry does do what they have to do to make a sale, I will say that for them!

(Just as a note, Tiffany platinum is the other hard alloy of 95plat/5ruthenium. These two alloys look the same to me. It is the softer 95plat/5iridium that scratches more easily making it develop the gray patina more easily. My vintage 5 stone band is the 90/10 and it looked perfectly new when I got it, so I know it really holds up well over a long time with a simple polish!)

Hey DS! :wavey: That's why I was curious about how much sna paid, since his stone is close to mine and over 2 cts., too. But it turns out that isn't relevant, either, since his was not just less than my setting, but also less than your setting. I'm sure he's right that buying his beautiful stone at the same time may have been a factor in the pricing for him, too.

I'm glad to know you haven't noticed any differences in the metals, since I do think that others will be asking for the same alloy when they order their U-113. :) Good for you for thinking of that and suggesting it to others!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blueiris...I noticed that some platinum rings were gray so quickly and others not. And after some time here and learning what the best ringmakers used, I realized that the difference was in the alloys. Naturally I would want a harder alloy as opposed to softer. But the reason 95/5irid is used a lot is because international standards say a platinum ring should be 95%plat., and that alloy is softer and therefore easier to work with. However, I want what is most durable over time. My Leon ring was the 95/5ruth. and held up well, too.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1330401278|3136106 said:
Blueiris...I noticed that some platinum rings were gray so quickly and others not. And after some time here and learning what the best ringmakers used, I realized that the difference was in the alloys. Naturally I would want a harder alloy as opposed to softer. But the reason 95/5irid is used a lot is because international standards say a platinum ring should be 95%plat., and that alloy is softer and therefore easier to work with. However, I want what is most durable over time. My Leon ring was the 95/5ruth. and held up well, too.

I can notice a slight difference in the color of the Vatche (900) vs Tiffany (950). I actually prefer the color of the 900 better...

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

sna77|1330461355|3136581 said:
diamondseeker2006|1330401278|3136106 said:

I can notice a slight difference in the color of the Vatche (900) vs Tiffany (950). I actually prefer the color of the 900 better...

Thanks to both of you for the comparison and information!

lamenramen

Rough_Rock

Hi,

What is the mix of metals that Tiffany uses in their 6 prong solitaire setting? Is it 95% platinum and 5% rhodium?
I'd want the Vatche U113 to match that.

Also, if I order the Vatche U113 from James Allen and they send it to Vatche for setting, does that mean that the setting is perfectly customized for the stone?

Thanks!

Reptar

Rough_Rock

James, could you please relay this to your staff? None of them seem to be aware of you being a Vatche dealer.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Reptar|1334075114|3167531 said:
James, could you please relay this to your staff? None of them seem to be aware of you being a Vatche dealer.

HI Reptar,

I think an email you sent customer service made it in my inbox a few minutes before this post hit Pricescope ;-)

We are not an authorized Vatche dealer, although we've also sold many of their rings to our clients and enjoyed working with them in the past.

In order for us to offer their line going forward, however, it looks like we'll need to make the relationship between the two companies a bit more "formal". That process is ongoing and I expect we'll have things sorted out before summer. Unfortunately, until we get those agreements drafted we cannot offer any of their beautiful rings, thus creating the mixed messages you've received from customer service.

Sorry for the confusion.

Reptar

Rough_Rock

Thank you for clearing things up, James. I suppose it got my hopes up hearing of Vatche designs being available.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lamenramen|1333745383|3165232 said:
Hi,

What is the mix of metals that Tiffany uses in their 6 prong solitaire setting? Is it 95% platinum and 5% rhodium?
I'd want the Vatche U113 to match that.

Also, if I order the Vatche U113 from James Allen and they send it to Vatche for setting, does that mean that the setting is perfectly customized for the stone?

Thanks!

Sorry I did not see this. Tiffany uses 95platinum/5ruthenium. I wear my Vatche U-113 with a Tiffany wedding band, and I promise you the difference is so slight that it doesn't matter. I just prefer 90plat/10iridium or 95plat/5ruthenium because they are harder than the typical 95plat/5iridium which is standard. They are used to the request for 90plat/10iridium so that is why I asked for that instead of the ruthenium. But as I said, these will all work together...sna's wife also wears a Tiffany wedding band with her Vatche U-113.

And yes, if a vendor sends your stone to Vatche, they make the head to fit your stone and the ring in the size of her finger.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have worn 95/5 Ruthenium with 90/10 Iridium and 95/5 Iridium with no issues with the rubbing. The color differences were not noticeable either. But the ruthenium ring weighed about a million pounds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results