shape
carat
color
clarity

Bespoke Gems - Citrine and Chalcedony

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
A few weeks ago, Hot Pozzum mentioned Bespoke Gems and when I browsed the site for the first time, I couldn''t NOT see Doug''s Madeira Citrine Acorn for myself. The profile is really deep, exactly like an acorn, and much like the profile of an asscher . . . so you KNOW I can''t resist seeing that!

BespokeGems - Madeira Citrine Acorn - Side.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
While browsing, his faceted Chalcedony flat - "Lazy Oval Dome" - also caught my eye.

BespokeGems - Chalcedony Lazy Oval Dome - 1.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That glowing profile is really something!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Doug told me to expect two weeks for shipping (he''s in Australia, I''m in the States), but he mailed them on Friday, and they arrived today! Speedy! It was extremely exciting when I heard the mail lady turn off her mailtruck . . . does anyone identify with that?
9.gif

(Argh, I make these pics so tiny, yet they still are too big. Hold on . . . Probably have to resize them all . . . again!)

FPP-Bespoke-1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Found that the pictures on Doug''s website are very true to life.

FPP-Bespoke-2.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
My point-and-shoot camera, though, seemed to be having a little trouble catching the brightness of the citrine, and we were having a weird day for light outdoors . . . this seems a little dark, but it''s a nice bit of acorn.

FPP-Bespoke-3.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
This too is darker than real life, but I just love the faceting. It adds SO much personality to this little stone, compared to a plain cab. The chalcedony sends off flash from the faceting, AND glows. It''s a luminous little thing . . . I love it.

FPP-Bespoke-4.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a little "fire in it''s belly", as Doug referred to it.

FPP-Bespoke-5.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
And a little MORE "fire". Both of these gems have so much personality . . . I''m really happy I indulged in both of them. And Doug is incredibly friendly, too. Top notch experience and gems!

FPP-Bespoke-6.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, forgot to list their stats.

Ox-Blood Madeira Citrine, Heated, Uruguay, 7.14 ct, 11x10.5mm

Green Chalcedony, Unheated and Chrome-bearing, Western Australia, 5.3 ct, 14x11x4.5mm

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!
30.gif
what are you plans for them?

-A

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

So glad you found some lovelies on Doug''s site. I am so excited about getting my citrine Asscher in a few weeks.

What are you plans for these two beauties? I vote put the Chalcedony in a pretty silver pendant.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you were able to capture some flash in the picture of the citrine. It''s a pity the chalcedony won''t coorperate.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stones, fiery! I especially like that acron citrine. What an awesome color and cut!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are the neatest cuts! Are you going to set them or just play?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, MTG, Arcadian, HotPozzum, Chrono, and FlyGirl!

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for pics . . . or maybe I''ll have to invest in a new camera. Heh.

HotPozzum - I''m excited about your Asscher too! It''s funny you mentioned pendant, b/c the first thing I think of when I look at the Chalcedony is how much it resembles a delicate silver locket. I keep flipping between the "locket" it seems so well suited for, and a ring . . . just b/c usually I go for rings so that I can look at the stone whenever I want instead of catching it in the mirror!

I''m not really sure what I want to do with the acorn. The big draw for me was the profile instead of the round face. It''s sort of in the same crazy depth boat as my 12mm Asscher (which of course I knew even going into the amethyst that it was ridiculously tall for any type of setting), but right now I enjoy having them as little paperweights to play with here on my desk. LOL I wouldn''t mind finding or designing a ring setting that would purposefully feature the belly instead of the face of the acorn . . . I just am not feeling creative enough at the moment to figure out how that would be executed. So . . . for now . . . paperweights!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 10:41:35 PM
Author: packrat
Those are the neatest cuts! Are you going to set them or just play?

Thanks, packrat!

More likely to set the chalcedony as soon as I decide ring or pendant, but I think it''s funny -- when I joined PS, I scoffed at the gem collections, all "how can they keep them loose and not set them? what is the fun?". Well, I''m obviously proving myself a hypocrite. LOL . . . there are just so many pretty gems, it''s hard to spend the money on a setting instead!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2009 8:01:22 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
And a little MORE ''fire''. Both of these gems have so much personality . . . I''m really happy I indulged in both of them. And Doug is incredibly friendly, too. Top notch experience and gems!
Very very nice. I think both are unique and interesting and very good. I sure can see the appeal of having theAmy and the Citr. around as paperweights! Congrats and TFS!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting stones. I''d suggest an open gallery bezel for the citrine and...not sure, some rose cut pyrope garnets for the chalcedony to make a Christmas theme?
9.gif
Just kidding. But honestly, pyrope garnets were the first stones to come to my mind after seeing that chalcedony, as they were (and still are) often cut in rose cuts.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I like them a lot! The citrine really looks like an acorn to me!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Stone Hunter, Ma Re, and Bling Addict!

Ok, I have to ask, someone tell me what TFS stands for. I''ve given it a few minutes of thought and still can''t think of it!

Spot on, Ma Re -- I was thinking of some of the recent James Meyer creations around here with a bezel that leaves the whole underside of the round elevated and absolutely in the open. . . very bridge-like. I''d want to keep the usual embellishments to a minimum though. Hmmm, I''ll have to look and see what rose cut pyrope garnets look like . . . it didn''t occur to me to involve other stones but a little bit might really add to the translucence factor!

Bling Addict -- Doug has another citrine acorn for sale, but it''s not the madeira citrine . . . I think there''s also a topaz acorn. He also does a "Pop''s Orange" design (look in the peridot section -- it''s sold, but good pics) that''s pretty similar.

This round of stones was definitely more the "interesting personality" than "bling factor" round. Unfortunately, it''s a grey stormy day for the next two days, so I might not be able to grab better pics today.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 10:46:25 AM
Author: fierypyropixy
Thanks, Stone Hunter, Ma Re, and Bling Addict!

Ok, I have to ask, someone tell me what TFS stands for. I''ve given it a few minutes of thought and still can''t think of it!

Spot on, Ma Re -- I was thinking of some of the recent James Meyer creations around here with a bezel that leaves the whole underside of the round elevated and absolutely in the open. . . very bridge-like. I''d want to keep the usual embellishments to a minimum though. Hmmm, I''ll have to look and see what rose cut pyrope garnets look like . . . it didn''t occur to me to involve other stones but a little bit might really add to the translucence factor!

Bling Addict -- Doug has another citrine acorn for sale, but it''s not the madeira citrine . . . I think there''s also a topaz acorn. He also does a ''Pop''s Orange'' design (look in the peridot section -- it''s sold, but good pics) that''s pretty similar.

This round of stones was definitely more the ''interesting personality'' than ''bling factor'' round. Unfortunately, it''s a grey stormy day for the next two days, so I might not be able to grab better pics today.
I''m guessing TFS means That''s for Sure, but it really is a guess.

I''d love to see that acorn in a dangle sort of pendant so all of its acorness can hang out. I''ll be following along to see what you decide to do.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
In this connotation I would guess TFS means "thanks for sharing" but I don''t know for sure.

For the citrine, why don''t you just run with the acorn shape. Put a gold acorn cap on it and wear it on a long gold chain?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stones! I really like the chalcedony :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 11:37:49 AM
Author: stepcutnut
Lovely stones! I really like the chalcedony :)
+1!

mz

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh, yes, that makes sense for TFS, thanks.

Hmmmm . . . yes, it could be interesting, to have it face up towards the sky, and dangle instead of the usual face out type of pendant. Much like an acorn . . . but I don''t know if I would want to hide the flash on the face by a gold cap. But you two have given me another direction for sure! Ok, so . . . the stone would be held and secured by a bezel whose side would rest against my chest, but would it be dangerous to the stone to have the entire body of it dangling without any protection?

Thinking especially about the tip of it getting chipped by accident . . .would you creatively have sort of a box constructed around it with plenty of air around, as sort of a picture frame? So . . . a frame, a box that''s open on the sides facing you and out, of course, suspending a thinly bezel-set north-facing acorn, with a good two to four millimeters of clearance from the tip, OR whatever space similarly that would create a square around the stone. The frame being thick enough to be the contact point with your chest, of course, to reduce wear on the stone. Does that make sense?? Very interesting . . . I''m starting to LIKE that idea!

Thank you, Stepcutnut and MovieZombie! Doug also has some chrysoprase and lavender chalcedony flats he''s thinking about faceting as well . . . it''s different and rather personable!

fairwayflunkie

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! Love...love...love the citrine
36.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You can also suspend citrine by the tip and wear as a briolette
9.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Fairwayflunkie!

Ha . . . a rather fat briolette, Ma Re. :)

I''m starting to really center in on something like Arjunajane''s James Meyer setting here, to show off that depth.

Do any stock settings spring to your minds that feature such a sort of "bridge" construction?

arjunajane - james meyer 1345 setting.JPG

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, your new stones are so pretty! I can''t wait to see them set! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results