shape
carat
color
clarity

Bennett-jewelers on eBay is a total scam and fraud

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by JohnStewart, Jul 5, 2017.

1. JohnStewart
    Rough_Rock

by JohnStewart » Jul 5, 2017
    So to make a long story short I made a purchase on eBay, I dealt with a man named Ben, he sold us what was supposed to be a 3.50 CT ROUND CUT D/SI1 CUSHION HALO DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING 14K WHITE GOLD, the listing claimed this was a EGI graded diamond which to me seemed like they were trying to confused buyers into thinking it was EGL, seems this EGI grading certification was nothing but a fraudulent scam that was made in house, I brought this over to a GIA graduate gemologist at Kays and the stone I got was re-graded by them and their findings were just scary, the stone re-certified as a I2 clarity (enhanced) and H color, Good Cut, Poor Polish, 2.16ct (was supposed to be 2.25ct SI1 clarity, D color, Very Good Color according to EGI) and i must tell you this stone was so cloudy and had so many inclusions that i was even embarrassed to tell anyone what i paid for it. Their listing claimed to have the video of the actual ring which was also a total lie!

The company claimed to be from the USA but shipped from Israel, the Jewelry also claimed to be manufactured in the USA but the shipping documents said it was from Israel. This company is nothing more than a scam to get gullible customers to purchase from them. These people should be arrested for fraud!

BUYER BEWARE of these stores and Ben!

If you have bought anything from these people I would strongly advise having it checked via a third party to insure you got what you paid for, after two orders with them both of the rings we got were nothing like what was described.

Has anyone ever purchased from these frauds?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

2. tkyasx78
    Brilliant_Rock

by tkyasx78 » Jul 5, 2017
    never heard of them, but yes almost every seller of diamonds on ebay is a fraud ( I am sure there are exceptions but they would be rare )
    I would recommend to return the ring and buy a loose stone from a PS vendor and have it set in the setting of your choice.
    when it comes to diamonds and life, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

3. Rockdiamond
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Rockdiamond » Jul 5, 2017
    I agree with the part about things that sound to good to be true.
    As an eBay seller we're aware that many of the other sellers are truly bad apples.
    Truly a shame and we feel trrrible that people still get taken.

bmfang, tkyasx78 and rockysalamander like this.
  4. Austina
    Ideal_Rock

by Austina » Jul 5, 2017
    IMG_1864.jpg

Was it this one?

It does actually state that it's clarity enhanced in the details

IMG_1865.jpg

Sorry you've been scammed, but if it is this one, the $3600 price tag should've set alarm bells ringing. I don't know anywhere you'd get a 3.5ct diamond ring for that price. Typically a centre diamond of that size and clarity would be $20,000++++

dazzlerazzle, msop04, bmfang and 2 others like this.

5. Queenie60
    Ideal_Rock

by Queenie60 » Jul 5, 2017
    Have you filed a claim with Ebay/Paypal? This would be my first step. And I strongly suggest you purchase from a PS vendor.

rockysalamander and OoohShiny like this.
  6. LLJsmom
    Ideal_Rock

by LLJsmom » Jul 5, 2017
    $3,600????? STOP.... :hand::lol-2:

dazzlerazzle, msop04, tyty333 and 3 others like this.
  7. flyingpig
    Brilliant_Rock

by flyingpig » Jul 5, 2017
    An unfortunate thing is that the OP still thinks EGL (not EGI) is a reputable lab and a mounted appraisal by a GG from a chain jewelry store is trustworthy.

8. partgypsy
    Ideal_Rock

by partgypsy » Jul 5, 2017
    Looks like they have a 30 day return policy. Return and get your money back.

9. EvaEvans
    Shiny_Rock

by EvaEvans » Jul 5, 2017
    JohnStewart,
    There are hundreds of similar scam sellers on ebay!!!
    May be someone has to write a tutorial "How to avoid scam sellers on-line".
    My advice is to open a case for "Item NOT as described", be careful to follow ebay instructions, contact ebay customer support if needed, also, do not trust this seller and do not close the case prior to receive your money back.
    To honor your claim, ebay will require appraisal on your name from reputable legal jewelry business in the USA.

10. rockysalamander
    Ideal_Rock

by rockysalamander » Jul 5, 2017
    Return the ring. At best they graded the stone using a very soft company while in the setting (and thus screwed up the weight) or they mis-represented the stone.

But, do pause after this experience and realize that there are no deals or steals in retail diamonds. You really should only seek 'fair market value'...seeking a steal will lead you down the same path. If you had told most of us nothing but the price ($3500) and claim (2.25ct SI1 clarity, D color, Very Good) -- sight unseen, ad unseen, we could have told you that it was a CZ, clarity-enhanced, or stone graded by a blind mole rat at that price. If you want to get a good diamond for your budget, come back and the kind PS folks will help you. It will be nowhere near 2+ carat with a setting for $3500. But, it will be honest about what it is.

dazzlerazzle, bmfang and tkyasx78 like this.

11. arkieb1
    Ideal_Rock

by arkieb1 » Jul 5, 2017
    I hope that you can return the ring and get a full refund. If it seems way to good to be true usually it is. There are literally hundreds of people selling stones like that on Ebay.

12. ChristineRose
    Brilliant_Rock

by ChristineRose » Jul 6, 2017
    They have multiple copies of that ring. While they say 2.25 ct, no one can be expected to find a suitable stone of exactly 2.25 ct for every ring they make. Everyone rounds up in these cases. They never round down, of course. It's another sleazy trick, but it enough people do it so that it's not considered misrepresentation.

Also, the person at Kay's has an incentive to talk down a ring you got on e-bay and to talk up their own rings. Clarity enhancement is a can of worms--Kay doesn't sell CE--but if you're open to the idea that CE is not "low quality" then Kay sells equally low quality stuff.

However...I did see this on their front page:

Our diamond rings come with a Free Jewerly Appraisal and a Certificate of Authenticity by EGL - one of the most respected diamond grading labs in the world. So that is exceptionally sleazy...

They have a good return policy, which trumps everything else.

13. GliderPoss
    Ideal_Rock

by GliderPoss » Jul 6, 2017
    Return it immediately and run away from Ebay as fast as you can! :naughty: The price was never realistic for the ring you thought you were buying anyway.

Then come back and let us friendly folks help you start from scratch. :wavey:

14. msop04
    Ideal_Rock

by msop04 » Jul 6, 2017
    Just file a SNAD with ebay and be done with it. If you used a credit card or PayPal, even better (if ebay gives you a hard time)...

15. Wink
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Wink » Jul 6, 2017
    Great advice as even a moderately well cut D-SI1 in the 2.25 ct size would be at or over $30,000. If you wanted one with sparkle, just keep going up in price...

Wink

16. MollyMalone
    Ideal_Rock

by MollyMalone » Jul 6, 2017
    I'm not seeing a reason, at this juncture, to spend the money on an independent appraisal in order to either open an "Item not as described" claim under eBay's Money Back Guarantee or seek a charge-back from your credit card company. Bennett Brothers avers, If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund or exchange - no restocking fee, no questions asked.

In fact, where the seller represents they have such a return-refund policy, eBay wants you to give the seller 6 business days -- after your return shipping tracking method shows that delivery was made to the seller -- to issue the refund. If the refund hasn't shown up as a credit to your account after 6 business days, you're expected to next make a specific request for a refund from the seller before asking eBay to step in. More info in the FAQs under the Handling returns on eBay header on this page:
    http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html

I suspect the reason that Bennett Jewelers -- and Wilson Jewelers (not to be confused with Wilson Brothers Jewelry, whom I've personally had good experiences with), which shares the same toll-free number --
    http://stores.ebay.com/Bennett-Jewelers
    http://stores.ebay.com/WilsonJewelers
    have 100% Positive Feedback ratings is because they do promptly issue a refund following a return. See this Neutral feedback post:
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...s=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=neutral&interval=365

Rockdiamond likes this.