shape
carat
color
clarity

Belle our new rescue beagle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I recently have been looking in to rescuing a beagle to join our home. It's taken about one month and we found her. She was an owner relse at an animal control center in the next county. She is very skinny, does not know how to play and does not bark but simply wants to be loved.

FL605_8789818-1-pn.jpg

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Also she will not eat her kibble (she just wants human food) does anyone know what I can do to get her eating right?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww -- she's adorable! Good for you for adopting your own little furry ball of love! When we got The Demon he had no idea how to play either--toys scarred the hell out of him. You should have been there the first time we squeezed the squeaky squirrel; he about wet on the floor, LOL.

I have two thoughts on the whole kibble thing. One is that if an animal gets hungry enough they'll eat. And if kibble is the only choice, eventually they'll come around. But (and I admit I am a big softie and would not have the heart to watch my own pups go without eating for several days!) maybe you could try transitioning to the kibble by putting some in the people food and over time ratcheting up the amount of kibble and less people food 'till it's all kibble. Also, this transition is a good idea because if you change a dog's diet completely from anything to anything they are likely to have some tummy issues.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
She is very cute!

Just FYI, you have to be VERY careful with beagles. That breed is very adventurous and can get away from you. A few years ago I went to an animal shelter and felt in love with a beagle I found there. The vet told me the same thing..."be careful not to let her out, you might never see her again if you do." A couple of months later, she accidentally got out. I opened the door with a bag of groceries in my hand, and VROOOMMMMM there she went through my legs. I dropped everything to go chase her, but she was gone.
39.gif
I never saw her again. I thought she''d come back when she got hungry....nope. She was off to see the world.
8.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the new addition to the family! You are so sweet to take this poor doggie into your home...

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww......such a cutie! My family had a beagle named Belle when I was growing up. She lived to be about 13 years old and died peacefully in her sleep. She was a wonderful dog for our family and was very intelligent. She could do all sorts of tricks - sit, sit pretty, roll over, play dead, fetch, etc. She also loved food - she''d eat anything - hair, paper, carpet, grapes, anything! My sister has a 5 month old beagle right now and she a ball of love - but she is hyper, especially compared to the pugs.

As far as the food is concerned I''d probably add kibble to people food, reducing the people food and increasing the kibble a bit each day. Eventually she''ll get it. Good luck and post some more pics of that cuteness!

Jess

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I think Dee-Jay gave some good advice re:feeding...

And I know the say a dog will eat before it''ll starve...but I, took cannot handle the thought of my pups being hungry...so mixing some food with boiled ground beef and rice might be a good idea...and keep raising the amount of kibble in the mix. Might also be worth trying a different kind of kibble. My piglets will eat anything (including cat food), but some dogs have a more discriminating taste.

I''ll also add the that the poor pup just got to your place...she may be a bit overwhelmed and freaked out...so give her some time...she might not have her appetite yet, you know?

And CONGRATS and thank you for rescuing a pup!

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
What a sweetie- beagles are wonderful breed. As for her eating, dogs will eat when they get hungry, and if kibble is it, then they will eat it. I know though that you''re anxious for her to gain weight, so why don''t you try mixing in something like Science Diet (or another "safe" non recall wet dog food) with some dry kibble to entice her to eat? Also, a diet of boiled chicken and brown rice is very good for dogs and is also "people" food- it also helps settle their stomachs.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Macie! I am a proud beagle mommy, we have two! They are definitely a unique breed, the person who mentioned that they have a tendency to run away is correct. What happens is that they get distracted by so many new scents and are not able to find their way home again (and that''s if they don''t get hit by a car first.) So be very very careful not to let Belle off leash unless you are in an enclosed or well fenced area.

I think the food thing will improve over time. Don''t feed her food from your plate or from the table or wherever you eat. If you feed her people food, just make sure it''s done in the kitchen while you''re putting her kibble in with it so she knows she doesn''t get to share your food with you. Otherwise you''ll have a beagle who will never leave you alone while you''re eating! My DH swears up and down that he''s never given our oldest beagle anything from his plate, but who do you think the dog goes to every time he''s eating? Yup.
20.gif

I bet that with time, Belle will figure out that she is safe with you and she''ll come out of her shell a bit and start to play and bark. And enjoy her "skinnyness" while it lasts, beagles also are known to gain weight very quickly, lol! I''ve read that their taste buds are less sensitive and that they will eat anything and don''t stop eating until everything is gone...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
May I ask the brand of your kibble?

DKS

In the mean time, do you have any no salt added canned green beans? There are fabulous studies on suplimenting dogs diets with the aforementioned. Just keep my sils pup for 5 days and that dog went nutso for them!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My parents have a cat who was born in a family where she was just fed their leftovers.

She came round to eating catfood eventually, but won''t touch uncooked meat or fish and would still prefer bread, chips and sausages!

Beagles are gorgeous looking dogs and yours is lucky to have found such a lovely home!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2007 4:02:18 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007
Awwww......such a cutie! My family had a beagle named Belle when I was growing up. She lived to be about 13 years old and died peacefully in her sleep. She was a wonderful dog for our family and was very intelligent. She could do all sorts of tricks - sit, sit pretty, roll over, play dead, fetch, etc. She also loved food - she''d eat anything - hair, paper, carpet, grapes, anything! My sister has a 5 month old beagle right now and she a ball of love - but she is hyper, especially compared to the pugs.

As far as the food is concerned I''d probably add kibble to people food, reducing the people food and increasing the kibble a bit each day. Eventually she''ll get it. Good luck and post some more pics of that cuteness!

Jess
DD, your family''s beagle sounds so sweet, they are such smart doggies. I just wanted to mention that dogs should never eat grapes, something about the skin does not bode well for their intestinal tract. Just an FYI for all dog owners! I was first told this by our obedience instructor and checked it out online and it''s definitely a no-no to give them grapes.

I had to childproof our cabinets with those little plastic thingies because our little Daisy figured out how to open them and pull out food, papers, anything she could drag around or eat. I was constantly chasing her around pulling whatever she had out of her mouth the first few months we had her! We calll her crazy Daisy!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for everyone advice I finally have her eating ground beef mixed with her food. I thought I would be posting pics of her today but our 1 year old hamster escaped last night
23.gif
so my hubby and I stayed up till 7 am finding him. Must sleep now
14.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
She is so cute; glad you rescued her!!!!! Congrats!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
My husband reminded me of a huge mistake we made once (18 years ago)...we decided to take a two week vacation and left our kid at a kennel. When we returned she was never the same dog. Took weeks to trust and relax again.

Is it possible that this behavior your little Belle is displaying is in fact the shelter shock? It is possible she too had never been around other yapping dogs. While in the shelter she probably felt lost and abandoned and lost hope. They can sink far into despair. He barker could be worn out. The way you describe her head and personality sure sounds like she is worn out. THey never sleep at kennels or shelters. Think about it would you?

Also the lack of interest in her food could be that she had been feed a better dog food. That is unlikely...but very possible. We just baby sat one for 5 days...we chose to feed our border our high quailty food...when the owner returned the dog refused the substandard food. Dogs are smart. They know what nutrients they need and what kibble has it. It is not necessarily the taste.

If you have a doubt about the quality of your food, you can inspect the presents they leave. A good quality food will be less waste and firmer. Why? Because it isn''t all filler which just blows right through them. A good quality food is actually used. Not passed.

Just my 2 pennies...that is US coins.

DKS

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Dks thanks for the info. Question on the food my vet said this was a very high quality food not alot of byproducts and soforth. She is on Evanger''s food have you heared any thing negative about it.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
No I haven''t heard anything about your brand. I am not aware of it. My opinion is that dog food should not contain corn or corn products. I would check that in the ingredient. We feed premium edge brand...skin and coat. It is salmon, sweet potato, peas, lots of good food anyway. We do suppliment with green beans, molasses, honey, flax oil, fish oil, flax meal, canned tuna....not every day...but they are given a far better consumption than most. I never want to regret not doing more. You have got to squeeze as much years out of these blessings as you can...nutrition is the one thing you have control over.

I still think your little guy is just worn out and will eventually learn to trust and relax. If you knew the history of the dog and the life it had before, it would be helpful to understand what it is feeling. For example a dog raised by seniors would be very timid around screaming kids or crazed fast paced life.

This is a perfect example of why pets are forever ...you can''t just rip them from their home life and expect them to readjust to another.

I never complimented you on your adoption. You are most noble and thoughtful to help a little life in need of a new home. You didn''t do it for me...but I am grateful just the same.
2.gif

36.gif
36.gif
You guys are the best!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!!
36.gif
36.gif

DKS

sorry I think I may have referred to belle a guy...let her know i meant no harm...just adoration!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Macie, she''s darling!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to echo DKS and also say thank you for adopting this little one. She will settle in and be fine once she gets used to you and her new surroundings. Good idea with the gradual food adjustment, upset tums can be common in the early days and can be caused by the stress of change, she will adjust no problem in time.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What a sweetie--hope she and the Hamster get to be best friends!
emdog.gif

cheers--Sharon

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 10:06:18 PM
Author: monarch64

Date: 7/27/2007 4:02:18 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007

Jess
DD, your family''s beagle sounds so sweet, they are such smart doggies. I just wanted to mention that dogs should never eat grapes, something about the skin does not bode well for their intestinal tract. Just an FYI for all dog owners! I was first told this by our obedience instructor and checked it out online and it''s definitely a no-no to give them grapes.

I had to childproof our cabinets with those little plastic thingies because our little Daisy figured out how to open them and pull out food, papers, anything she could drag around or eat. I was constantly chasing her around pulling whatever she had out of her mouth the first few months we had her! We calll her crazy Daisy!
Thanks for the heads up on the grapes - we didn''t realize that until after the grape-eating incident, and she was okay. We''d never feed our animals something that we knew was harmful!

I feed my dogs Science Diet Lamb & Rice formula (small bites) and they love it. I''m pretty sure my sister''s beage eats the same but I''m not sure since she still lives with the folks.

Jess

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Another cutie! We need lost of pics please.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belle is a cutie pie, love that you rescued her Marcy!! I''m sure she will settle in just fine, the TLC you are giving her is just what she needs. I LOVE beagles, they are wonderful dogs!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results