shape
carat
color
clarity

Belcher setting for an Engagement Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

x95878

Rough_Rock
I could really use some ladies'' opinions on this please.

My girlfriend knows very little about gemstones or jewelry. She wears an old purity ring on her right hand and that''s it. She''s a pretty active person, no nonsense, but she does have a strong sense of taste.

I want to make the e-ring a surprise, so here are the hints she''s given me: she prefers something simple; she likes white gold; I''ve seen her admire both solitaires and three-stone rings; she would like an engagement ring that evokes the look of a flower because her purity ring is shaped like a rosebud - also, her mother''s e-ring is shaped like a flower (imagine gold petals surrounding a RB diamond. I really don''t like it). So here are the criteria: simple but elegant, sturdy, wearable, not get caught on things, and look like a flower.

I searched for months before coming upon the belcher setting pictured here, and it really seemed to fit the bill. I ordered it out of a catalog at a B&M jewelry store, but when it came in it weighed only 1.8 pennyweight. It was beautiful, but it looks as though it just wouldn''t last. I returned it, along with the diamond I had purchased (that''s another story), and began to educate myself on pricescope.

I''m planning on getting the same kind of ring this second time around, only more substantial. The question that has always popped in my mind is: is this belcher style ring too masculine for a woman? I''ve thought about putting a delicate engraving (rose stem?) on the sides, and possibly having it modified so that the shank tapers down more. As it is, this design tapers gradually from 7.9 to 2.7mm. The stone in the picture is 5.19mm.

My mother saw this ring before I returned it, and she thought it was beautiful. Just thought that some more female opinions would be nice. I know that the belcher is an old style and today is usually found in men''s rings...

Here are the pics I took before I returned the ring:

x958782.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a lot of thought you''ve put into this! I think you''re being incredibly sweet and sensitive to what your fiancee-to-be will like. I don''t know that I''ve seen a tapered belcher setting: they''re usually meant to be pretty imposing rings, but in my head, that should look lovely. I especially love the idea of the rose engraving!

As for whether it''s too "masculine" generically ... I don''t think so. It''s heavier than the generic image of an engagement ring (say, the 6 prong tiffany-style solitaire), but not to the point of being unusual. And if she specifically wants sturdy, it''s perfect. I know one of our posters has a really lovely belcher-type setting from Bulgari, and she loves it (IndieGal, maybe? if you search for Bulgari, her ring should pop up). I say get the ring, since you know your GF better than we do, but, like we say to many posters ... *if* she loves you, loves being engaged, and maybe wants to alter the ring in some way, don''t take it personally. It will not in any way minimize the love and care you''re putting into the process.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has your GF pointed out a ring like this or is this just the one that you found that fits everything
she says she wants?

Here is Independent girls ring (hope you dont mind me bringing it over)

bulgari6.jpg

Here is the thread with more info on her ring:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bulgari-trauma-help-me-decide.62136/

x95878

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 1:06:36 PM
Author: Circe
*if* she loves you, loves being engaged, and maybe wants to alter the ring in some way, don''t take it personally. It will not in any way minimize the love and care you''re putting into the process.

Well, thank you very much! Your comments are very reassuring. Also, I think she will be pretty honest about whether she likes it or not, and I''ll do my best to roll with the punches!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

What about a ring that has flowers on it? Do you think she would like that? Here''s a ring by Van Craeynest

DSCN0360_copy.jpg

x95878

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 1:26:37 PM
Author: tyty333
Has your GF pointed out a ring like this or is this just the one that you found that fits everything

she says she wants?

Here is Independent girls ring (hope you dont mind me bringing it over)

No. I doubt she''s ever seen a ring like it, actually. It''s pretty hard to come by an image of them, much less see them in real life. So, this ring is just one that fits everything she wants (to the best of my knowlege), and I think it''s really attractive.

I have seen the thread with Independent girl''s ring. Not a big fan of it. Really going for the flower look, and that one didn''t have it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pretty 3 stone...its costume jewelry so you would have to have it custom made. You
could skip the pave down the shank and just go with the 3 main stones.

imgnotfound.jpg

Edit - ok, that drag didnt work. Here is a link to the ring. Look at the side profile. It looks like
a flower with leaves. Very pretty.

http://www.emitations.com/renaldeflowersetting3czring.html

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why dont you just put the stone in an inexpensive setting and let her pick out her setting? I just
hate to see you spend a lot of money on something and have her possibly not like it.
39.gif

Edit - BTW that ring that angelique found is very pretty!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 1:54:27 PM
Author: tyty333
Why dont you just put the stone in an inexpensive setting and let her pick out her setting? I just
hate to see you spend a lot of money on something and have her possibly not like it.
39.gif

Edit - BTW that ring that angelique found is very pretty!
That is an excellent idea Tyty. I wouldn't like a belcher setting for my ering. In my opinion, its just "meh". It lacks pizzaz. If she wants something sturdy that doesnt get caught in things, why not look at bezel settings, they usually sit pretty low and have no prongs to catch in things through daily routine.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just thinking aloud a bit ....

Alternately, you could also contact someone like Greenlake Jewelers - they do wonderful floral settings. And, like Amethyste says, if the stone is bezel set, that''s as secure as it gets ....

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This is a belcher that Jewels by Erica Grace has listed. I think it is beautifully feminine and reminiscent of a flower. It is a vintage piece, however. I''m sure Greenlake could do some sort of engraving like this for you.

.52 belcher.JPG

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh oooooh......get the Vatche one that someone posted on your other thread! I promise
2.gif
she will LOVE it!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
Here it is! Gorgeous!!

vatche flower.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like the Vatche piece will break the bank... :razz:

tap02150

Shiny_Rock
yeah my god lol.. that is a nice setting, take a little away from the center diamond, but not in a bad way. then again, i've always loved solitaire settings.

Hmm, my opinion would be to ask a jeweler that could draw a sketch/picture of what you might be looking for... if you don't like that option, i would get a classical solitaire setting and allow your future fiance the option to pick out her own setting.

*Edit* I went back and looked at your original pictures. I like that setting more and more.. and i know what you are thinking with tapering it a little more.

Asking if you could make it a little less chunkier? A little thinner up top? And maybe you could get it in platinum for the solidness! I personally wouldn't add any design down the side, i like clean crisp platinum. But that is just personal opinion. If you are interested in the setting i picked out, check out whiteflash.com and look at the legato sleek line. ( i got a princess cut). I know it has nothing to resemble a flower, but its strong, elegant, and unique and helps my diamond "pop".

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 8:13:28 AM
Author: kimmyintexas
Here it is! Gorgeous!!
That would be perfect, IMHO!! It''s a beautiful, feminine flower of a ring
30.gif

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
Okay....I promise I will leave you alone after this one.
2.gif
It is soooooo gorgeous and very similar to the belchers but MUCH more feminine. It is a stock piece but it''s pretty pricey but man, she would have to just absolutely love it!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

greenlakeS15161.jpg

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
It''s from Greenlake Jewelers in Seattle btw. There are more pics of it on their site.

2greenlakeS15161.jpg

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 8:59:00 PM
It''s from Greenlake Jewelers in Seattle btw. There are more pics of it on their site.

Beautiful find kimmy. I''ve never seen a ring like that. Gorgeous. I think the OP''s FF would love it based on what he said.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 8:59:00 PM

OooOoo... I LOVE this ring - soooo feminine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results