shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty/Skincare Favorites

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious, are there are any beauty product you swear buy and would be super sad if it got discontinued? What things do you basically buy time after time as your go to makeup/skincare/beauty staples?

For me it's :
Eyeliner: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
SPF/foundation: It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC cream
Lips: I have vials of Buxom lip plumping glosses pretty much every where. And my favorite lipsticks are the Bite Amuse Bouche line for how they feel AND how they smell. I'm weirdly turned off by lipstick that smells bad or chalky.

Glycolic facial peel: Cane and Austin 30% miracle pad (i cut them in half)
Moisturizer: Origins GinZing (recommended by my dermatology friend and I love the smell)

I would love recommendations on a brightener, I just got the Caudelie brightener set from Sephora during their Rouge sale.
Or an eye cream (I swear I can't tell the difference between the eye creams I've tried and plain ol moisturizer).

I'm in my 30s which according to my mom is when I need to start using eye cream lol.

Also, can someone please explain to me why La Mer is so expensive and so popular? Last time I went home to china, people were buying boxes and boxes of the products at the Duty Free. What's the deal?

Looking forward to recommendations, especially as we near the holidays and I need to find stocking stuffers for my friends!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it's my La Roche Posay Ultra Toleriane moisturizer and dermo cleanser and Avene Thermal Spring water.

https://www.laroche-posay.us/face-a...er-for-very-sensitive-skin-3337872412486.html

https://www.laroche-posay.us/face-a...r-3433422406599.html#q=dermo+cleanser&start=1

https://www.aveneusa.com/thermal-sp...TaUJdBYTUAJkriQRm9kjlhdeHo_4qfGxoCBJYQAvD_BwE

For my lips I use this.
https://cvskinlabs.com/shop/restorative-skin-balm/

And that is all I use on a regular basis.

My skin is super sensitive to makeup generally and I cannot use any anti aging products.
If I need cover up I like Dermablend and if I wear sunblock I wear CotZ for sensitive skin.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried expensive products and mid range stuff and find little difference in effectiveness. My go to's for facial cleansers and moisturizers is Paula's Choice https://www.paulaschoice.com/ When I started getting hydra facials, I bought some moisturizer from the clinic made by DermiMed. Paula's is just as good. For under makeup, I wear Clinique's Moisture Surge. Love it.

Don't have any recommendations on brighteners. I use either Clinique liquid foundation or Westman Atelier. Westman's line launched this fall and is available only from Barneys at this time. https://www.barneys.com/designer/westman-atelier/N-11etc62
The stick foundation is creamy and awesome. Provides light to medium coverage. The blush, contour, and super loaded tinted highlight are equally awesome. There are a few youtube reviews.

I recently purchased 6 creme eyeshadow sticks from Mally Beauty (creme is better for my aging eye skin) and they glide on super easy and don't crease. https://www.mallybeauty.com/

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have such a hard time evaluating products cause I can't tell if there's actual difference or just placebo effect from knowing something is a fancy expensive product...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I admit to having a huge hoard of Roger & Gallet Fragrant Wellbeing Water in my fridge. Theirs are the only scents I can tolerate wearing since regular perfume bothers me now. And they have some lovely ones (Ylang!!)

Their collections are seasonal, so when I find one I like, I stock up in an excessive way. lol

Anne

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been using Murad Oil Control Mattifier as my moisturizer for years & always forget exactly how shiny my face can be if I try something else. :eek2:

I stock up on Buxom White Russian gloss any time Sephora has a sale.

Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser, so much less than Smashbox Photo Finish & I can’t tell any difference.

I have the same questions about eye cream. An associate at Sephora tried to help me one day, but she was several years younger than me & I don’t think she quite understood either.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have hugely sensitive skin. I use Keihl’s ultra cleanser https://www.kiehls.ca/en/skincare/category/cleansers-scrubs/ultra-facial-cleanser-714.html

Or Paula’s choice Moisture Boost cleanser.

https://www.paulaschoice.com/moistu...VCf5kCh0ITgZdEAQYASABEgIAv_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For moisturizer I love the Clinique Moisture Surge line - I love both the Moisture Surge Intense and the supercharged concentrate.

https://www.clinique.com/product/16...isture-surge-intense-skin-fortifying-hydrator

https://www.clinique.com/product/16...re-surgetm-hydrating-supercharged-concentrate

I also like the Paulas Choice exfoliants, but I can’t use them regularly. This one is my favourite:

https://www.paulaschoice.com/resist-daily-pore-refining-treatment-with-2pct-bha/782.html

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
I don't use anything for skincare except Alpha H Liquid Gold! That stuff is amazeballsssssss.:kiss2:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is a great thread! All my stuff was way past usable dates (way more than a year old) so I needed some new things this year. And I found some products I really like. I am not a brand hunter; value is what makes me happy. And I like to be able to try things before I commit to buying them-- or buy them at places with good return policies in case I'm not happy or I have a reaction.

1. Mascara-- I used High Impact by Clinique for 10 years-- but I switched to Better than Sex by Too Faced last month and it's my dream mascara. Doesn't smudge, flake or clump. You can do multiple coats easily, and it does it all, lengthens, thickens, curls, and defines. And I can wear it for hours without irritation. Plus it's only $24 a tube-- so only a few dollars more than the Clinique. The mini size ($12) is perfect to carry in my purse.

2. I hit 40 and started getting discolorations on my face. I did some research and I bought Meladerm which is for hyper pigmentation. Now, I've only been using it for 4 weeks, but I can see it's improving my skin and there is no irritation. Plus, I dislike most scented products and this one doesn't bother me with its light fresh. I don't know if this qualifies as a skin brightener. But it might.

3. Lipstick. I ADORE ADORE ADORE Sephora's Rouge Cream lipstick for $13.00. The formula is not drying, it's highly pigmented, not scented, and lasts. It is just as nice as the MAC or Bobbi Brown lipsticks I used to use, both of which cost a lot more. I have olive skin and dark hair and eyes (Persian) and #68 Authentic is my favorite pinky neutral and Courtisane #02 is my favorite red. But they have a lot of great shades.I've been a fan for years... this is not a new purchase for me.

4. The Ordinary. 100% Plant-Derived Squalane I have oily skin, so I really have to be careful with my moisturizers. A lot of the oil free moisturizers aren't hydrating enough for me or make me shiny, and most other ones make me break out. I needed a solution and found a fantastic one-- for under $8.00. I use it in the mornings after I wash my face and before I put my oil free moisturizer on (Clinique Dramatically Different, oil free version) and after I shower. And it provides just the right amount of extra hydration. And there is no perfume or anything in it to irritate me or my skin. You can get it online at Beautylish and a couple of other places. If you haven't heard of this line-- it's worth checking out. Most everything is super high quality and under 15 bucks and unscented.

5. I found two great scrubs at Target. I get adult acne on my chest, and I wanted something to help with that. I found it here: https://www.target.com/p/alba-acnedote-face-body-scrub-8oz/-/A-13322971 Sprouts by me carries it too, but at over 11 dollars there.

And I wanted a scrub for my elbows and arms that was hydrating and I found it here: https://www.target.com/p/soap-glory-174-the-scrub-of-your-life-body-buffer-6-7oz/-/A-51207016

6. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: I use this once a week on my scalp. 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water to keep my oily scalp healthy and balanced. I've tried all the balancing shampoos, and products to control oil. None of them work. This is the only thing I've found that works. And I'm not willing to overpay for products with vinegar in them when I can get a jar at Trader Joes for 6 bucks and add water to it. The smell is the only down side. It really bothers me, but... nothing else works.

7. Hair mask: Wella FusionPlex. I keep going back to this mask year after year. I've tried several hair masks since my favorite one was discontinued by Pureology. And this is the only one that's worth buying.

8. Face Mask: Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Masque by Kiehls'. This is a really nice face mask, it shrinks your pores and makes your skin look great. It is unscented and so it smells like clay, which I prefer to perfumes. A little goes a long way, and the 5 oz size (which is a much better value than the 1 oz) will last you forever. If you have a Kiehl's by you, they are really nice about samples, so you can usually try their stuff before you buy.

Last edited:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
... if I wear sunblock I wear CotZ for sensitive skin.

AWESOME. I've been looking for a good sunblock! Thanks Missy.

I don't get the eyecream thing either I bought one from Shesideo a couple years ago and it made my milia worse around my eyes-- same with other's I've tried. Right now I am using a cheap Boots eyecream from Target at night. I need to ask my dermatologist about this.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AWESOME. I've been looking for a good sunblock! Thanks Missy.

I don't get the eyecream thing either I bought one from Shesideo a couple years ago and it made my milia worse around my eyes-- same with other's I've tried. Right now I am using a cheap Boots eyecream from Target at night. I need to ask my dermatologist about this.

Hi Layla, here is the sunscreen I use.

For face:
https://www.dermstore.com/product_FACE+NonTinted+SPF+40_46376.htm

For body:
https://www.dermstore.com/product_Sensitive+SPF+40_46378.htm

As for special eye creams not everyone needs to buy something special for the eye area. You might just need something a bit more moisturizing.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/should-you-use-eye-cream-2018-8

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question to lipstick experts.
How do you eat?!?

I don’t often wear lipstick because while I love the look it makes me hugely self conscious about eating and drinking and I don’t want to keep reapplying (I’m basically constantly drinking something either coffee or water)

And I know there are long wear lipsticks that last better than cream ones but they feel so dry and irritating I start biting my lip lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question to lipstick experts.
How do you eat?!?

I don’t often wear lipstick because while I love the look it makes me hugely self conscious about eating and drinking and I don’t want to keep reapplying (I’m basically constantly drinking something either coffee or water)

And I know there are long wear lipsticks that last better than cream ones but they feel so dry and irritating I start biting my lip lol.

I cannot answer this question but want to chime in and say yes to all you have written. My observations are this. Some women just look amazing in lipstick and wear it flawlessly and others (like me) look like they are playing dress up when attempting to wear lipstick. That is why I wear only lip balm as linked in my above post. I don't think everyone looks better in lipstick but yes I am in awe of women who wear it so well and look so grownup and polished. That will never be me. Did not even wear real lipstick on my wedding day.:kiss: Lip gloss is my go to lip wear.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy great article! Haha glad my confusion is founded!

Anyone use a moisturizer/sunblock combo if such a think exists? I’m lazy and fewer steps is better haha.

And I never understood mascara because I have super short eyelashes and I swear every time someone puts it on my I can’t tell a difference. Hence my eyeliner addiction. At least I can See that effect!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy great article! Haha glad my confusion is founded!

Anyone use a moisturizer/sunblock combo if such a think exists? I’m lazy and fewer steps is better haha.

And I never understood mascara because I have super short eyelashes and I swear every time someone puts it on my I can’t tell a difference. Hence my eyeliner addiction. At least I can See that effect!

You know what really makes lashes grow? Bimatoprost...I was resistant to it at first because there are risks associated with it though minimal as they are however when I developed eyebrow alopecia I started it on the rec of my derm. My lashes are long to begin with but oh my they really took off. And definitely I no longer need mascara not that I wore it often but now I never need to wear it as long as I keep with the Bimatoprost. Latisse is the brand name fyi.

FWIW I love eyeliner done right and I bet you look gorgeous with eyeliner. Maybe you have no need for mascara. Eyeliner might be all you need to make the look work.

I think it is better to separate moisturizer from sunblock (and believe me I am super lazy about this stuff). You can get better ingredients separately. Better UV ray coverage from the separate sunblock and better skin moisturizing capabilities from the moisturizer separately.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I found my holy grail sunscreen this summer. It has a really long name - Biore Sarasara UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence - maybe it's more compact in it's original Japanese? Anyway, I'm a fan because when I put this sunscreen on, it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a coating of anything on my face! It's light and feels like nothing. My face isn't slightly sticky all the time now!

I don't have much else to contribute to this thread because I have nearly zero talent with cosmetics!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found my holy grail sunscreen this summer. It has a really long name - Biore Sarasara UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence - maybe it's more compact in it's original Japanese? Anyway, I'm a fan because when I put this sunscreen on, it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a coating of anything on my face! It's light and feels like nothing. My face isn't slightly sticky all the time now!

I don't have much else to contribute to this thread because I have nearly zero talent with cosmetics!

That sounds amazing! I’ll have to check it out...
I hate that sticky feeling of sunscreen. Bleh

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am slightly ashamed to admit my obsession with the Laniege Lip Sleeping Mask and the Laniege Eye Sleeping Mask. The eye mask is almost liquid and goes on with a glass ball applicator, and it feels amazing at the end of a long day. I was pretty devoted to Clinique All About Eyes and I may go back for winter since it’s thicker, but the coolness of the Laniege applicator and how close I can get it to my eye has been fantastic.

The lip mask is thick and stays on all night, and my perpetually chapped lips finally have healed.

I bought the Sunday Riley Good Genes + Luna set during the most recent Sephora sale and am starting to notice a very nice change in the texture of my skin without any irritation or redness. I was a Retin A devotee for many years, but lately I feel like I just peel and get sensitive every time I use it. My other splurge was on the Bite Beauty Scorpio lipstick and I have been wearing that fiery orange color everywhere. The Bite lipsticks have such a nice scent and staying power.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Layla, here is the sunscreen I use.

For face:
https://www.dermstore.com/product_FACE+NonTinted+SPF+40_46376.htm

For body:
https://www.dermstore.com/product_Sensitive+SPF+40_46378.htm

As for special eye creams not everyone needs to buy something special for the eye area. You might just need something a bit more moisturizing.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/should-you-use-eye-cream-2018-8

Awesome, thanks Missy! Great link about eye cream. I've often wondered why regular moisturizers aren't good enough. I was actually at Kiehl's trying their creams, and didn't buy an eye cream exactly because of that thought.

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I use jojoba oil as a moisturiser (since moving interstate to a different climate and working in a highly air conditioned building I can't find a moisturiser that lasts all day) and sunblock SPF 50+ from Cancer Council for my face. I have a fairly dry skin and like to use coconut oil on my body.

Not much make-up, eye liner every day and mascara every now and then. I use micellar water as cleaner and Neutrogena Deep Clean Foaming Cleanser in the shower. No lipstick, I love ChapStick Total Hydration lip balm.

Sorry no fancy brands or anything but it works for me. Sunscreen is the most important thing.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am slightly ashamed to admit my obsession with the Laniege Lip Sleeping Mask and the Laniege Eye Sleeping Mask. The eye mask is almost liquid and goes on with a glass ball applicator, and it feels amazing at the end of a long day. I was pretty devoted to Clinique All About Eyes and I may go back for winter since it’s thicker, but the coolness of the Laniege applicator and how close I can get it to my eye has been fantastic.

The lip mask is thick and stays on all night, and my perpetually chapped lips finally have healed.

I bought the Sunday Riley Good Genes + Luna set during the most recent Sephora sale and am starting to notice a very nice change in the texture of my skin without any irritation or redness. I was a Retin A devotee for many years, but lately I feel like I just peel and get sensitive every time I use it. My other splurge was on the Bite Beauty Scorpio lipstick and I have been wearing that fiery orange color everywhere. The Bite lipsticks have such a nice scent and staying power.

Ooo I’ve been curious about laniege

Haha also I do agree the whole “cool” sensation in the eye area feels nice. I still remember my mom keeping her eye cream in the fridge as a kid

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MonkeysInk
Just bought the eye mask! Figured I’d take advantage of the rouge sale. And I work shift schedule so my sleep is often weird which results in puffy dark eyes :/

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a total beauty convert to La Mer skin care ever since Sephora has been carrying the brand.

I've been using La Mer treatment lotion, La Mer pefecting treatment, and Creme De La Mer which have made a huge difference in the appearance of my skin. It is a little pricey, but well worth the results to me!:$$):

My next purchase will probably be the La Mer eye balm intense...:!:

Reactions: AV_

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a total beauty convert to La Mer skin care ever since Sephora has been carrying the brand.

I've been using La Mer treatment lotion, La Mer pefecting treatment, and Creme De La Mer which have made a huge difference in the appearance of my skin. It is a little pricey, but well worth the results to me!:$$):

My next purchase will probably be the La Mer eye balm intense...:!:

I got my mom the La Mer little miracles set for Christmas. They’re already sold out of them. Yeesh! Seriously popular brand it seems

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@MonkeysInk
Just bought the eye mask! Figured I’d take advantage of the rouge sale. And I work shift schedule so my sleep is often weird which results in puffy dark eyes :/

I was going to buy the Perfect Hair Day jumbo set this weekend (love that they spread out the Rouge sale), but it’s sold out. :(sad

I am picking up some of those Laneige Lip Mask sets for holiday gifts. Thinking about one of the Aquis hair turbans for my teenager with long hair - has anyone tried those?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite beauty products would be the Living Proof full volume hair products. I have fine hair and all the products in this line really work and make my hair look the best it can be. For the last couple years I have stocked up in October (birthday month) at Ulta and racked up enough points so I have free stuff coming in the year.

I love It CC cream (right now QVC has a jumbo size which is about 2 1/2 times the amount you get in a regular tube, I have it on auto delivery)

I love Lancome, and Benefit Rollerball mascara and I just tried the Thrive mascara and like that one too.

Most of my skin care comes from Paulas choice. As I have gotten older my skin has gotten more sensitive but she has a lot of things I really like.

I used to be a devotee to LaMer's eye cream for many years and I still use the moisturizer when I have a super dry or irritated spot on my skin-but mostly it is petroleum based so I try to stay away from it.

I love BE eyeshadows. They go on without aging. I have a few Laura Geller I like too (the marbleized ones).

I like the It lip balms but my favorite has to be Burts Bees. I buy those in bulk-6 at a time. I pink shade that looks like natural lip color.

Reactions: ame

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha. I have the opposite hair problem. Mine is super thick and irregularly wavy. Still trying to find a conditioner or mask that can tame it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha. I have the opposite hair problem. Mine is super thick and irregularly wavy. Still trying to find a conditioner or mask that can tame it.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Did quite make it through ALL of everyone's posts, buuttt...

I second the Biore Aqua Rich sunscreen. It feels so light on the skin and is amazing! I actually reacted to it a little bit (like little tiny tiny tiny bumps?) but I am the only person I know who has ever had issues with it. Everyone I know who has used it, loves it. And I would have loved it if my skin agreed with me. One of the few high-SPF super light weight sunscreens out there at a reasonable price point.

As for moisturizers with sunscreens, I definitely understand the convenience thing, but I have been told that they don't work nearly as well as an actual sunscreen in terms of sun protection. The SPF 30, or whatever they claim only applies if you use a really heavy layer of the product because the sunscreen active ingredients are more diluted in the moisturizer.

Simple HG moisturizer for me is Cerave PM Facial Moisturizer. :) :) :) So many great ingredients at a good price, and it's not greasy.

and EYE CREAM. Basically my understanding from conversations with the derm and r/skincareaddiction lurking (heheh) is that eye cream is mostly a big scam. The skin under your eyes is the same as everywhere else on your face (though thinner), and eye creams are usually just a thicker formula of a standard moisturizer to make it feel "richer". Derm recommends just using the same face moisturizer. The exception to this is if you suffer from puffy under eyes. In that case, eye creams with caffeine in them can help stimulate blood flow and reduce puffiness. Same for keeping your eye cream in the fridge :)

Just my two cents! (I am also a face oil fiend, but won't even start on that haha)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results