shape
carat
color
clarity

Beach Wedding dress- what is too formal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
I am getting married in December in the Caribbean only with my immediate family present. I wanted a beachy or "destination" gown, but all the ones I''ve seen just look kind of ...cheap somehow. How do you feel about a dress like the Pronovias Recife (below) for a beach? I''m scared I''ll feel silly in a real gown...but I want nice photos. Thoughts from other destination brides?

pronorecife.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear god that''s a fab dress! It would look right at home anywhere.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s gorgeous! What if you wore it bustled or cut off most of the train? Then it wouldn''t drag on the sand at least? Whenever I think about beach gowns, I always worry about the trains and sand. I dunno. Maybe it''s my weird thing...

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I think that gown is stunning! It has that "goddess" quality that is so fitting for beach weddings. It''s perfect IMHO!

I''m definitely feeling your pain with choosing a destination dress... I currently have a Nicole Miller dress which I got for a sensational price, but still don''t know if its "The One."

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 6:56:42 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I think it''s gorgeous! What if you wore it bustled or cut off most of the train? Then it wouldn''t drag on the sand at least? Whenever I think about beach gowns, I always worry about the trains and sand. I dunno. Maybe it''s my weird thing...

I am going to try the dress on Thursday- unfortunately it doesn''t look like the halter can be removed. I actually think we are going to get married on a grassy area overlooking the ocean, because I NEED to wear heels. I am 5''2 and my fiance is 6''
7.gif
I look so short next to him...certainly no barefoot photos. I''ve only tried on 2 dresses I really like so far- the Melissa Sweet Aurora (too pricey) and a simple Nicole Miller dress. Even though I''m having a tiny wedding, it still IS my day and I don''t want any regrets about the dress.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The dress is gorgeous! I think it would be great for a destination wedding. The key is picking a fabric that won't get too wrinkled on the plane, and that dress looks like it's chiffon, which would work perfectly. I think chiffon or taffeta would both travel well...satin, not so much.

ETA: You mention a halter...is that what it is? It looks to me like the straps go all the way back rather than come together behind the neck. Either way, the straps really define that dress and give it that goddesslike look - they're my favorite part!

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 7:02:53 PM
Author: Inanna
I think that gown is stunning! It has that ''goddess'' quality that is so fitting for beach weddings. It''s perfect IMHO!

I''m definitely feeling your pain with choosing a destination dress... I currently have a Nicole Miller dress which I got for a sensational price, but still don''t know if its ''The One.''

Which NM dress? I love her dresses. The one I tried on is the cq0010 I think. It is a plain tube, crinkly, with a gold bottom. It is beachy and fits really well, but I was told (not sure if this is true) that because of my size compared with the groom, if I wear something too plain the focus in photos will be all on him...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Oh, one more thing...if this dress turns out not to be the one, I'd check out Maggie Sottero's Destinations collection. I think they're beachy without looking cheap. Since you mentioned removing the straps, I take it you're looking for something strapless? How about this one? It's flowy chiffon and no train to boot.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 7:08:20 PM
Author: ScorpioNYC
Date: 4/13/2009 7:02:53 PM

Author: Inanna

I think that gown is stunning! It has that ''goddess'' quality that is so fitting for beach weddings. It''s perfect IMHO!

I''m definitely feeling your pain with choosing a destination dress... I currently have a Nicole Miller dress which I got for a sensational price, but still don''t know if its ''The One.''

Which NM dress? I love her dresses. The one I tried on is the cq0010 I think. It is a plain tube, crinkly, with a gold bottom. It is beachy and fits really well, but I was told (not sure if this is true) that because of my size compared with the groom, if I wear something too plain the focus in photos will be all on him...

I know exactly what dress you''re talking about! It''s very pretty, but I do like the Pronovias one better.

I don''t know what the style number of my dress is, but I''ve attached a picture. I bought it online during the Ruelala.com Nicole Miller Bridal sale a few weeks ago. It definitely needs to be altered (Nicole Miller dresses seem to run big), but I do like it - then again, I wonder if its too simple.

NicoleMillerGatherWaist.jpg

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I am a destination bride as well and I ran into the same issue, and I also WANTED to look like a bride. I think the dress you have choosen is absolutely stunning and would look wonderful on the beach.

Pick a dress YOU love because you are the one who will look at those pics over and over for years to come.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I think the chiffon makes it appropriate for a beach wedding, so if it looks good when you try it on I say go for it!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I think the chiffon will look great on the beach. I like the pronovias better but that''s just my opinion.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! It''s gorgeous! And I don''t think that there is such thing as "too formal" for beaches or any setting. It''s just that some dresses are inconvenient for the sand.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
W O W. That dress took my breath away. Soooooo pretty.

I think it would work for a beach wedding. Hell, in that dress, go wherever you want.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can pull off most any dress for a beach wedding, with maybe the exception being a heavy silk dress. I think the Pronovias dress is to die for, and would make a stunning beach wedding gown!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that dress is stunning, and perfect for a beach wedding. I am of the mindset that you have to love the dress and feel like a bride in it, so if it suits you, wear a ballgown on the beach if you like. Having said that, i can really imagine this material blowing in the breeze while you say your vows - it would be perfect
30.gif

p.s. i completely dig the straps and wouldn''t change a thing.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
That is a stunning dress! I would make want the train removed if you were truly going to be walking through the sand, but I see no reason why it couldn't be a beach wedding dress. Destination doesn't have to mean informal.

I am a DW bride (also only inviting immediate family, but am going to the mountains instead of the beach), and I am wearing a "real" dress. I am having the train and all the crinoline removed, though, to dress it down a bit. But, I was totally with you on the feel of the destination dresses. All that I saw were very low quality (except for J. Crew and Nicole Miller--and those just didn't work for my body type).

ETA: Please, please, please don't dare remove the halter. It is what makes the dress so fabulous, IMO.

missismene

Shiny_Rock
i love the dress! very dreamy and romantic. looks good for a destination wedding.
good luck.

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 11:36:33 PM
Author: katamari
That is a stunning dress! I would make want the train removed if you were truly going to be walking through the sand, but I see no reason why it couldn''t be a beach wedding dress. Destination doesn''t have to mean informal.

I am a DW bride (also only inviting immediate family, but am going to the mountains instead of the beach), and I am wearing a ''real'' dress. I am having the train and all the crinoline removed, though, to dress it down a bit. But, I was totally with you on the feel of the destination dresses. All that I saw were very low quality (except for J. Crew and Nicole Miller--and those just didn''t work for my body type).

ETA: Please, please, please don''t dare remove the halter. It is what makes the dress so fabulous, IMO.

I agree! The sandals dresses for example all have too much beading somewhere I don''t want, the fabric is too lifeless and silky. I think unless you are super thin, a more structured dress is more flattering. I''m petite (5''2, size 0/2) but anything loose in my stomach just doesn''t work. I think most of the J Crew dresses are too plain as well and I''m not sure if there is a store that carries them? I don''t want to order a dress sight unseen. Below is the only inexpensive destination dress (less than $400) that looks like it could work for me:

mori leedressresized.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Wear what makes you feel beautiful, don''t worry about being too formal. That dress is gorgeous.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I think that dress is gorgeous. Do whatever you feel beautiful in.
35.gif

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
What do y''all think of the second one I posted? It is from the Mori Lee Voyage Collection. I''ve searched on the style # and can''t seem to find any other photos of it. I think looking at dresses on real people, rather than models, helps greatly when making a decision on whether or not to persue the dress.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I like the second one as well. If you are a budget bride, I''m positive the Mori Lee would be less expensive than the Pronovias. Both are beautiful!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I was also going to suggest Mori Lee dresses. That is what I ended up with, and when I went through the gown shop I found at least a dozen that would have worked perfectly for my beach wedding.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the Mori Lee I am considering for my intimate wedding (location is still to be determined):

morilee2181.jpg

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
and the back:

ETA: Maybe this is something you would not like, as it seems maybe too lacy for you?

morileeback.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second dress is pretty, but it doesn''t have the immediate wow factor that the first one does. It might when it''s on though!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having a DW in Maui this August and struggled with this exact same problem. On one hand, I thought, "casual, light, flowy" and on the other, I thought "wedding dress!". At the end of the day, I agree with those who say wear whatever you makes you feel beautiful, period. I know what you mean about not wanting to blow the budget on a dress, I''m in the same boat, but I also don''t think that means you have to settle. The Pronovias dress is lovely and I don''t think it''s too much for a DW. The Mori Lee is also pretty, just simplier. Just depends on your taste. Try them on and see what you think. Maybe one of them will speak to you. Good luck!

ScorpioNYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 5:28:06 PM
Author: panda08
I''m having a DW in Maui this August and struggled with this exact same problem. On one hand, I thought, ''casual, light, flowy'' and on the other, I thought ''wedding dress!''. At the end of the day, I agree with those who say wear whatever you makes you feel beautiful, period. I know what you mean about not wanting to blow the budget on a dress, I''m in the same boat, but I also don''t think that means you have to settle. The Pronovias dress is lovely and I don''t think it''s too much for a DW. The Mori Lee is also pretty, just simplier. Just depends on your taste. Try them on and see what you think. Maybe one of them will speak to you. Good luck!

Beach Runner- that dress is really pretty! I don''t know if I want lace though.

The Mori Lee is pretty but might be a bit too mermaid, and I don''t like the hip detail. I don''t really have a budget, but I have a problem spending $3,000 on a dress for my 10 person wedding. If I was going all out and having a big NYC wedding, I''d feel differently. I don''t think Pronovias dresses run over $2,000, and they are having a trunk show this weekend so that''s an extra 15% off. I found another gorgeous one, but I think this one is a bit *too* full. Love the layers though!

sharon_primary.jpg

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I like the first or second one you posted (not so much the third with the layering). The first one is my favorite because it is a bit more unique. I got married on the beach and took pictures with the train down, but then kept the gown bustled for everything else and surprisingly my dress is still just as clean as it was when I bought it despite being splashed with sea water and rolling in the sand lol. And I do think there is such a thing as "too formal" for a beach wedding, but neither of your gowns cross that threshold, so whichever one you decide I''m sure will be great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results