shape
carat
color
clarity

Baught this at auction.whats it worth? ideas?

simon1929

Rough_Rock
1086932_2452141.jpg 1086932_3950466.jpg 1086932_4312768.jpg
So i bought this ring at auction.its a 1.3 Carat princess cut on 14k white gold.any ideas of whats it worth based on the info i have?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's not enough information. Do you have a GIA report for the center diamond? We could make a reasonable guess based on that plus the setting. But if not, we couldn't even guess. We'd need to know the weight, color, and clarity of the center stone at the very least. I can't tell but it almost looks like the center is actually a cluster with a small center with a halo of little diamonds surrounding it. That would bring down value as opposed to a larger center stone.

You can go to an appraiser and get a value. But tell them you want a reasonable value and not an inflated value. Most jewelry appraisals from jewelry stores are very inflated, so it is not an accurate indication of how much you could really buy or sell it for.

simon1929

Rough_Rock
i don;t have any of that just yet.i will pick it up tommorrow.just based on what u see give me a wild guess of what u think its worth.i would appreciate it.thanks so much for answering

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking it’s 1.3 cart total weight?
It’s very pretty. But I will say this, as a very experienced auction buyer, you should be working out what’s a good price BEFORE you buy.
The centre looks about .50, the two sides .30 and the rest melee adding up to 1.3 carats in total.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would guess that ring is about 500-800$ . Is that gold ? Platinum ?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others. I was estimating $900-1000 without GIA papers would be generous. If it was a recognized brand (e.g., Tiffany, Harry WInston, Cartier) that would change the value.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @Bron357 that is a cluster/illusion totaling 1.3 carat. I can't tell you what a reasonable price would be for that ring, but I personally* would not pay over $500.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are halos around each of the three main stones, so they are actually smaller than they appears. This looks to be a mass produced ring from a mall type store, and the stones are not well cut. They would probably sell it for around $1500 new, and you could probably get about $400 on the secondary market.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP said theirs is 1.3 vs the 1 carat RTG found...but he should get the idea.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying a diamond ring “new” will involve jewelers mark up and taxes.
When it comes to selling “second hand” diamond rings, nearly everyone wants and expects “new”. So the buyers are less. There is a definite “stigma” for want of a better word when it comes to preloved diamond rings.
At auction, I would only pay wholesale value of the diamonds and gold weight. As a preloved item, I’m not paying much if anything for the workmanship. That’s the harsh reality of the second hand market unless it is a Brand name.
Princess cut diamonds are now “out of favour” so another factor negatively influencing the price.
That said, I feel a $500 value is a little harsh, I would hope you paid $800 or less with auction fees.

simon1929

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the prompt responses.i definatelly learned alot about diamonds and jewelery in the last 24 hours.i had the ring appraised at 1200 dollars.i paid 1260 for it :wink2::wink2::wink2:.I guess lesson learned.Again thanks so much for the help and i really appreciate you guys taking time to answer.ill keep the ring for now.i was told in a retail store i would have paid around 2000 for it so i guess its not that bad after all.

Ring is 4.6 gr 14K white gold
3 Princess cut stones
G-H S1
1.25 CTTW

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the prompt responses.i definatelly learned alot about diamonds and jewelery in the last 24 hours.i had the ring appraised at 1200 dollars.i paid 1260 for it :wink2::wink2::wink2:.I guess lesson learned.Again thanks so much for the help and i really appreciate you guys taking time to answer.ill keep the ring for now.i was told in a retail store i would have paid around 2000 for it so i guess its not that bad after all.

3 Princess cut stones
G-H S1
1.25 CTTW
If you love it , def keep it !! The beauty is in the eyes . You are buying jewelries for yourself , for your joy and excitement! It’s one of those luxury things which are just for pleasure . But I would be careful with lots of those pave diamonds ! They like to fall out sometimes, and replacing them is gonna run from 50-70$ for each . So make sure the jeweler check the prongs regularly!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

3 Princess cut stones
G-H S1
1.25 CTTW
There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning experiences. A lot of good can come out of them.
Yes, you paid a bit too much, but we’ve all done that for something we love and/ or want.
Before buying at auction again, make sure you check out sites like eBay for comparable sales ie in the “sold” section. That way you can be better prepared to know how much you should expect to pay. You might then chose to pay more because it’s something you really love or want or you might decide, I’ll leave this one and wait for another to come up.
Always remember to read listings and wording very carefully.
It’s a very pretty ring and if it’s for the someone special in your life, I’m sure she’ll love it.

simon1929

Rough_Rock
DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0010.JPG
some more relevant pics

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also make sure to keep it clean (warm water, dish soap and soft toothbrush) to keep it looking its best. Diamonds attract oil and dirt like you
wouldnt believe!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results