shape
carat
color
clarity

baths

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
so in my lovely new home, we have a jacuzzi tub int he master bath. i swore i would put it to good use, but never haven taken a bath before, strangely enough, i kinda dunno how. now before anyone strats wrinkling hteir noses or sniffing the air, i mean i''ve always taken showers and have never had the luxury of owning a bath-able bathtub.
2.gif

anyway, got a couple of questions:

1) are you supposed rinse off the bubbles after you''re done? jump in the shower afterwards? or do you just get out with the soap on you and it''s ok? no slimy after feel secondary to left over soap?

2) what exactly are the purpose of bath salts other than smelling pretty?

3) do those little bath oil ball things really help moisturize?

4) any bath tips, fun bath toys, or bath related products?
1.gif

and if ya''ll are rolling your eyes at me and laughing cuz i sound like an obsessive compulsive for asking directions on how to take a relaxing bath...well, you prob have just cause
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. shower after and wash hair in shower is what I do.
2. helps relaxe you,, have to find one that works for you
3. yes
4. lock the door and tell anyone that if they interrupt you in the next 1.5 hours they die, relax :}

Nothing better than a hour long nap in a piping hot tub of water.

Now i can say iv answered everything online!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Ginger, congrats on your new house and fantastic bathtub!

Always rinse off the bubbles--they can be irritating to your skin if left on overnight.

Get a good tub and tile spray to clean with after every bath, otherwise you''ll end up with a ring of dead skin (especially if you exfoliate in the bath) and oil from bubble bath, salts, or oils.

Here are some fun bath related websites:

http://www.jellybath.com/

http://www.mcphee.com/devilduckie/duckies.html

http://www.folica.com/Bathrobes_322_1.html

Don''t forget the music, wine and candles! And DON''T plug in your laptop next to the tub to catch up on pricescope--it might make for a not so relaxing bath experience (electricity not mixing with water, and all)!!!
2.gif

35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats GingerBCookie ...

Welcome to "The proper way to take a bath 101"
28.gif

I could write a book, but tonite, I will give a short version. The possibilities are endless!

#1. Showering is for cleaning.
#2. Baths are for relaxing.

Think ahead, this is supposed to be an wonderful experience, so you will need:

Put nice clean sheets on your bed, turn down the sheets & blankets, light candles in your bedroom, and have your choice of music playing. Turn off the ringer on the phone, and let everyone in the house know ... this is your time ... no interuptions unless someone needs to go to the Emergency Room.

Have two luxurious towels & bath robe. One big and fluffy (for your body), one small to medium (for your hair). If you have a heated towel rack put your big towel and your bath robe on the rack to warm, or just have them near by when you exit the tub.

Light candels and dim the lights (in evening). Turn on music of choice.

Decide what your going to use in bath tub. Do not mix bubble bath and oil ... wont work. I don''t reccomend bubble bath anyway, it is overly drying to the skin, and more often than not can cause skin irritation, as well as yeast infections or urinary tract infections in women. Use either sea salts, and essential oils, or cream, milk, or powdered milk with essential oils in the bath. (Rose petals are nice to add to the milk one.)

Fill bath half way up with hot water and add ingredients. Turn on jaquzzi, remember if you do use bubble bath, and you use the jaquzzi jets, you don''t need very much ... the jets will create a massive amount of bubbles from the force of the water, just add a little at a time until you think it''s a safe level.

Ok, make yourself a drink of choice. Cognac in a brandy snifter will float! Red wine is good, just remember that alcohol can leave you dehydrated so a glass of water near by is good too.

Bite size nibblers are good to join you, bonbons ... truffles ... anything that sounds good is ok. (this is optional)

Reading material is good too. (this is optional)

Remember to breathe deeply, and relax ... think of meditation and yoga ... dream up a wonderful fantasy, think of someone special, pretend you are on a secluded beach ... what ever it is, stay focused & keep breathing.

I am going to make this really short, cause the power is flickering and I am going to loose this as we are in the middle of a huge rain & wind storm ... I will check in tomorrow morning and give you some ideas, and bath reciepes ... that you can make yourself for very little, or give away as gifts.

Your so luck to have a jaquzzi tub! Take care,
35.gif

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
To me, a bath is an extra and a luxury. We have a huge garden tub and I take soaking bubble baths whenever I have the chance, especially in the winter. I never rinse off the bubbles and have never had a problem. My mom taught us the luxury of a bubble bath when we were kids. I use Bath and Body Works bubble bath, different scents, depending on how I feel. I never jump from the tub to the shower because a bath is something I do before bedtime and I love the smell of the bubble bath. As for bath oil, I don't use it because it's a pain to clean out the tub everytime. With bubble bath, you just rinse. I also have a bath pillow and just lean back and read. Mrs Darlin Joy is right. A bath is for relaxing.

BTW, I was always told if have jacuzzi jets, you should never use bubble bath in it. The jets are easy to gunk up and they are meant to be used without anything.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ginger we have a jacuzzi jet tub in our house too, we adore it and use it alot in the winter...it was part of what sold us on the house and we love it.

Personally I think you will find that it's a very 'preference' oriented thing with what you like in your bath. I adore those bath confetti things which are like small round flakes of scented soap...my sister gave us some a year ago and we LOVED them...but then we ran out and didn't know where she got them, well a cousin got me about 10 bottles for xmas so I am in heaven.

We tried bath balls/bombs, like what they sell at Lush and I really didn't love them at all...they didn't work out so well for me personally. I have 5 other ones that I don't want to use after my first experience, so they just sit around the bathroom looking pretty.
9.gif
I did have another one that I liked alot so I kept the card and have to see if I can find more of those particular brand.

We also use bath salts...which are typically a mixture of salts and oils for both fragrance, good for skin properties, and relaxing capabilities..I actually get my salts typically on eBay in bulk and put them in glass vases in the bathroom so that it's attractive to look at as well as use. I have a shell scoop that I use for them as well.

But for me personally I love the bubbles and so far my fave for creating bubbles and scent that does not clog our jets is the bath confetti (you can get it at Cost Plus!) so we mostly use that and it seems to moisturize my skin as well. But we still use the salts sometimes for a different experience OR we mix the salts and the confetti if I want more moisture or oils for my skin. I just don't like how salts and other things leave the water clear/opaque/see through. It's so mentally ingrained in us that when you take a bath there has to be bubbles!

Oh and lastly, one thing I don't love about the jets in the jacuzzi tub is that it will take away your bubbles. So I do a bubble bath and just soak with that for a while before turning on the jets because the jets dissipate the bubbles pretty quickly, leaving the water clear for the most part.

Re: other suggested items, we typically drink champagne or wine and eat chocolates up in the tub, we both have bath pillows for our neck, reading materials, mood lighting...and we are going to get one of those bath chrome racks that you can stretch across to hold your wine, book etc etc. Oh and a glass of cold water because we are always really thirsty after a hot bath. I like the water VERY hot!

Have fun!!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I am back ... storm is still going, just not as bad ... debris is everywhere.
emotion-18.gif

Some things to remember:

Never take a hot relaxing bath right after eating, it is rec''d that you wait 2-3 hours after. Hot water relaxes your muscles, and you can experience acid reflux ... not enjoyable.

You can do bubbles in a jaquzzi tub, and bath oil, however you need to look at the manufacturers reccomemdations as to what brand of cleaner to use. I know that when you do clean it you fill the tub up just past the jets and let it run about 5 mins, and that will prevent any clogging or bacteria to form.

There are many possibilities as to baths.

I personally don''t like to do the oil capsules in the tub ... I find that you get more use from the oil if you slab some oil on your whole body a few hours prior to bathing (use olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, or almond oil) ... just let it soak in, and then take a bath ... or just after bathing, put some on some lotion or oil to lock in the moisture.
An ancient remedy the victorian ladies used after bathing to soften their elbows, heals or any other rough part were ... petroleum jelly and then covered themselves with cotton gloves, or socks and they went to bed like this, and in the morning, their skin was soft. I have tried this, it does work, it was hard for me to get used to the feeling on my feet when I tried to sleep.

Bath salts are used to soften & detoxify your skin. Don''t mix oil with these in th bath, you will loose the effect of the detox and softening as your skin will be coated in oil. Dead Sea salts are the best. They have a very high content of minerals that help the skin. If you use the sea salts, you can buy them in bulk over the net, get the small to medium course ones, they melt faster ... if you do get the huge chunks, you can always put them in your blender or food processor to make smaller. Also, you can use Epson salts, these will also soften the skin, just doesn''t have the high mineral content like the Dead Sea salts. I like to use both. Also, if your bath salts are overly scented and too strong you can easily dilute them with the plain epsom salts so you get the softening and floaty feel while in the water. I do one part Dead Sea salts to one part epsom salts. You can also use table salt, or rock salt ... however I have never tried those, but others have ... just don''t know if they would soften like the first two examples. One neat thing about the salts is that they can give you the floaty effect. If you don''t get that floaty effect, add another cup in the water, add until you float! Also, if you make your own, you can buy essential oil and add a few drops to give it your own personal preference for smell. Just a few drops will do the trick. I will start a different thread with reciepes for how to make your own bath potions.

I always find that if I put my hair up and not let it get wet, it doesn''t weigh my head down so much, and I can relax easier. So either use a head wrap, turban thingy, or pin it up, use a towel, sometimes the towel is too bulky though.

Sink your body slowly into the water being careful not to submerge too quickly. Once you are neck-deep into the water, allow the heat to penetrate down to your bones. Water temp is important, not too hot though, esp. if you are prego or have heart problems. Relaaax and soak allowing stresses and strains to leave your body and your mind. Cover your eyes, I find chilled sliced cucumbers are great and reduce puffiness, or chamomile tea bags that you have been dipped into hot water and lightly squeezed out work well too. Rest back into your bath pillow, or use a rolled towel under your head (hand towel size works great) or a floating headrest and enjoy.
emotion-5.gif

Another type of bath I enjoy is an herbal bath. This too you can make your own, or sometimes I cheat and use herbal tea bags! It''s pretty inexpensive compared to the fancy big bags you can buy called "Tub Tea" ... I usually take 4 tea bags and put them in a bowl and pour boiling water over them and make an infusion, let it sit for a few hours and when I am ready I just add this mixture to the bath water. (Be careful using like a raspberry tea ... they come out pinkish red and might stain the tub???)

One thing is for certain, after I take one of these kind of baths, I make sure I can at least lay down for an hour afterwards if I don''t go to sleep to get the best effects. Also, the other thing that is a luxury after one of these baths is a massage from my honey! And then drift off to wonderland!
emlove.gif
emotion-20.gif

Enjoy your new jaquzzi tub!!!
face23.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2006 5:58:17 PM
Author: Mara
I just don''t like how salts and other things leave the water clear/opaque/see through.
Mara,

You can always add powdered milk that comes in the box and add to the water. It will not make it as see-thru looking, and also, the lactic acid from the milk helps the skin!

One of my favorite baths is when I receive roses ... just as the flowers are spent ... I take the petals off & toss them into the tub and run hot water over them, the heat will release the rose oil into the water, and the petals are pretty floating on top of the water. I add some cold water to this so that I can enter quickly and it still be on the hot side. I also add a cup of cream or half & half, powdered milk works too, 2 tabls of honey if wonderful, and a few drops of essential oil to help with the aroma is so awesome.

Oatmeal put into the food processor and then added to hot water helps cloud up the water, as well as softens the skin, good for itchy skin too!

I love this subject!
emlove.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2006 3:57:46 PM
Author: Momoftwo
I use Bath and Body Works bubble bath, different scents, depending on how I feel. I never jump from the tub to the shower because a bath is something I do before bedtime and I love the smell of the bubble bath.
Momof2,

I agree with you about the Bath & Body products. With this brand, for the bubble bath, I don''t feel it leaves a sticky residue, and I don''t rinse this one off.

I love their massage oils, and also their pillow spray!

Favorite pillow spray is: lavender vanilla, and then comes sandalwood rose.

Favorite massage oil: Orange Ginger.

Favorite bubble bath scent: Sweet Pea.

Favorite aroma therapy scent (it''s seasonal though): Home fragrance oil in Orange & Cinnamon (sweet smell of Mediterranean oranges.)

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mrs Darlin Joy, showers are for cleaning and baths are for relaxing!
9.gif

We've had soaking tubs in the last 2 houses we built. My kids have gotten more use out of them than we have. When the kids were were very little, I'd put them in there together and turn on the jets. They'd have a blast and come out pruned from head to toe.

In the house we are in now, we have a corner soaking tub in our master bath but never use it. I thought it would be big enough for two, but it's just too tight to really relax. I'm not good with relaxing alone I guess -- I prefer having Mr. Diamond Lil to talk to (when you have kids, really talking is a rarity). So, to solve the problem, we put in a Hot Springs spa in our back yard. We can soak (
31.gif
) up to our earlobes and enjoy the stars forever. A nice glass of wine on the side, and I'm in heaven. Our back yard is very private (acres of trees) so we can use the spa al natural (after the kids have gone to sleep (
2.gif
).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so envious!! We have one tub and it''s in our son''s bathroom. I need a hot tub outside. We have lots of privacy too. Diamondlil you just inspired me, thanks!!!
31.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Man! MrsDarlin, you''re great! Reading this has made me want to go take a bath right now!
1.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
PS is so great! Where else can I post sucha silly question and get such awesome answers! I am savig all these answers on a little notepad so I can pick and choose different baths to try out. I''m so excited to go try them!
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks ya''ll! Keep the ideas coming. I''m off to ebay to find bath confetti and bulk salts.
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ginger I remembered I had this picture from when we first moved in...Greg in the tub on V-Day 2004!

you guys will have so much fun with the tub. ours doesnt quite fit us entirely well, but we worked out a comfortably sideways position where we both get 3/4 of ourselves in and i make the water so hot that is almost all we can handle! sometimes i soak by myself for 10 min or so first while he is reading the paper or takes the dog out or something so that is how i get my tub alone time. our next house will have a 2 person huge tub with extra room...now we are SO spoiled we will never want to be without one. it's very relaxing!

greg in tub on vday.jpg

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
Found this pic of my daughter in the tub...she LOVES it when I add bubbles and turn the jets on!
d3cdscd.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2006 9:24:42 PM
Author: kaleigh
I am so envious!! We have one tub and it''s in our son''s bathroom. I need a hot tub outside. We have lots of privacy too. Diamondlil you just inspired me, thanks!!!
31.gif
How about a 20th wedding anniversary gift to yourselves? We got ours for our 15th.
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
LOL, here is a pic of my kids in our old house. I told you they got more use of the tub that we did. This was taken in 1998!!!! My son is now almost 14 years old and my daughter is now 11.

kidsintub1998.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
This one is by Nan''s request. This is our current house. Pic taken in about 2003.

masterbath03.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that''s what I''m talkin about. Diamondlil that is just the greatest!!!! The pics of your kids in your old house is adorable!!! I am going to have to go the hot tub route. Unless we make a major change to an upstairs bathroom. We will be empty nesters, hmmm?? Nah couldn''t get away with that, Lol!!!
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh lil I''m on my way over!!!!! warm up that water!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
mmm there is nothing like a relaxing bath.. mmmmm..

I tell everyone not to bother me unless the house is burning down and they can''t put it out alone... (I have to... otherwise my children will be knocking ont he door every 5 minutes asking me about something and my DH will be knocking on the door asking me what to do about the children who are asking about something...LOL)

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 9:06:35 PM
Author: diamondlil
This one is by Nan''s request. This is our current house. Pic taken in about 2003.
Having seen this wonderful tub in person- pics do nothing for it.
It''s stunning Lil

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I looked for a picture of our spa in the backyard, but I don't think I have any. I'll have to take some in the spring/summer when the trees have leaves and the yard is in bloom.

I found this silly pic we took for Christmas 2001. Sorry it's a few years old, but we're in the spa, so here ya go.
9.gif

xmas2001.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are too cute. I love that pic!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great family pic Lil and that tub...divine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results