carat
color
clarity

Baroque Tahitian strand

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20180428_215117.jpg 20180428_214924.jpg 20180428_215043.jpg

I got this 18" multicolor baroque strand from American Pearl. I really don't know anything about pearls other than what I have read here. I haven't found any blemishes and the color is quite nice. I found it really hard to get good pics but maybe yall can get an idea of the quality from these. Thanks for your opinion!

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new necklace. They appear to be a pretty clean, well matched strand. It sounds like you like the color. Overall are you pleased with them?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new necklace. They appear to be a pretty clean, well matched strand. It sounds like you like the color. Overall are you pleased with them?

Thanks! I really do like them. They look well matched in my amateurish pics but IRL there is more variation of color which is what I like. I am not a dressy person at all. I think baroque multicolor is all I can pull off with my jeans, lol. It's a good thing because round ones would make me baroke! Lol, pretty sure my pun isn't original!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I really do like them. They look well matched in my amateurish pics but IRL there is more variation of color which is what I like. I am not a dressy person at all. I think baroque multicolor is all I can pull off with my jeans, lol. It's a good thing because round ones would make me baroke! Lol, pretty sure my pun isn't original!
congrats! No expert here but wanted to say it looks very pretty.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium

:D Good joke! When I said well matched, I meant for shape and tone.

You might have better luck capturing the colors in a picture if you take a photo on white paper or a paper towel in indirect natural light.

I think your new strand will look good casual or more formal. I've worn my AAA rounds with jeans and a t-shirt. Most people think my Tahitian pearls are beads. :lol:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your new strand will look good casual or more formal. I've worn my AAA rounds with jeans and a t-shirt. Most people think my Tahitian pearls are beads. :lol:
I love pearls with casual style! Do people actually ask/comment if your pearls are beads?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting a bit obsessed now. I want a long strand with variation in color and size. Do yall know the best place to find that?

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love pearls with casual style! Do people actually ask/comment if your pearls are beads?

Most people say, “I like your beads.” I take this complement and move on.

Unfortunately, I have two coworkers that realized my pearls were real and now ask me how much they cost…nearly every time I wear a different strand. I find this very rude.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Unfortunately, I have two coworkers that realized my pearls were real and now ask me how much they cost…nearly every time I wear a different strand. I find this very rude.

Oh my, terribly rude, how hard is it to just to say I love your earring/necklace/etc if unsure?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just plain bad manners, if you ask me!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asking how much it cost, or even if it's real...rude indeed! Just compliment it if you like it, that's all. If the person wearing the item cares to share more, that is up to them.

@ceg, I like your necklace! I think it will go just fine with jeans, but honestly they could go equally well with dressier clothes. I mostly wear non-round pearls myself. I find them interesting, and they suit my casual lifestyle.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice! I am also interested in long strands with smaller pearls. I think sometimes they can combine two 18" strands to make 36, for example. It just depends on whether they have enough stock to find two with the same type pearls. I also could not do round AAA Tahitians in a 38" length, so I'd have to do near round or baroque. I find most pictures difficult to judge color.

I feel like it would help so much to see many in person and be able to choose rather than ordering from a limited selection online.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and if you look at AP, many of their Tahitians have the option of long lengths in a drop down box on the page with a particular necklace. I'd want to stay in the 8-10mm range for a long one, personally. I imagine they can be heavy at long lengths.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent AP an email requesting a quote for a 32" strand with approximately 70% medium size 9-11 mm, and 15% each small 8mm and large 12-13mm. I really want a random strand of size and color. I like the boho feel of that.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent AP an email requesting a quote for a 32" strand with approximately 70% medium size 9-11 mm, and 15% each small 8mm and large 12-13mm. I really want a random strand of size and color. I like the boho feel of that.
That would be so pretty!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please let us know the feedback you get from AP, this sounds like a perfect long strand!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please let us know the feedback you get from AP, this sounds like a perfect long strand!

I sent the email Sunday night and I haven't heard from them. Probably busy for mother's day. I may call today. I am not in a hurry but I would like to get the mothers day discount.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have plenty that can be 32" on the site. You need to choose one so they know the colors and shapes you want. You need to start with strands they have.

http://www.americanpearl.com/8mm-10...sea-true-aaa-16inch-s11-peacock-color-b1.html

http://www.americanpearl.com/8mm-10...sea-true-aaa-16inch-s11-peacock-color-b4.html

http://www.americanpearl.com/9mm-11...ea-true-aaa-16inch-s11-peacock-color-b12.html

This one is showing a 32" and it has beautiful colors:

http://www.americanpearl.com/8mm-10...-sea-true-aaa-32inch-s10-multi-color-b37.html

Those are just examples, but there are several within the range of working long and they offer them at any length. I think you just need to choose one and tell them if you want to lean towards certain colors, etc. They buy the these already combined into individual strands. They'd be combining two similar strands to make one longer necklace.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @diamondseeker2006 !!! I think they would have to restring the whole thing though to get the random look I want. I am sure they would do it. I can't believe how many times I have worn the strand I just got. I really like them. I bought it thinking I could send it back if I didn't like them enough but I am sold. I am quickly tapping out my budget though! I got the DBTY from IDJ, the eternity from wf (similar to Tiffany legacy), and a preloved Victor Canera u cut eternity. Sweet hubby may kill me, lol!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @diamondseeker2006 !!! I think they would have to restring the whole thing though to get the random look I want. I am sure they would do it. I can't believe how many times I have worn the strand I just got. I really like them. I bought it thinking I could send it back if I didn't like them enough but I am sold. I am quickly tapping out my budget though! I got the DBTY from IDJ, the eternity from wf (similar to Tiffany legacy), and a preloved Victor Canera u cut eternity. Sweet hubby may kill me, lol!

Yes, they do have to restring any longer one. I am sure they have random extra stones from leftovers from making other length strands. But for 32", they need to know what you want for your base pieces.

You've gotten some nice things!!! Fortunately my husband doesn't really notice jewelry and that kind of thing, so I don't usually mention the smaller purchases! lol!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AP just got back to me. They will start with the base necklace http://www.americanpearl.com/10mm-1...-sea-true-aaa-32inch-s10-multi-color-b41.html
and replace 15% with 8mm and 15% with 12-13mm and restring the whole thing randomly. The price is the same as the base necklace. And of course the sale going on plus coupon. I am going to think on it a few days as I am trying to work on my impulsiveness, lol. Total would be $1850, which I think is great.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AP just got back to me. They will start with the base necklace http://www.americanpearl.com/10mm-1...-sea-true-aaa-32inch-s10-multi-color-b41.html
and replace 15% with 8mm and 15% with 12-13mm and restring the whole thing randomly. The price is the same as the base necklace. And of course the sale going on plus coupon. I am going to think on it a few days as I am trying to work on my impulsiveness, lol. Total would be $1850, which I think is great.
This is going to be SO pretty!!!!!! How long until it's ready?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be SO pretty!!!!!! How long until it's ready?

I haven't ordered it yet. I made a promise to myself that I will wait a few days before purchasing. I am impulsive and I need to work on it, lol! But I will for sure decide before the sale is over!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have a long multi colored baroque Tahition strand from PP, its 50", maybe 52, can't remember exactly. They were very gracious & good to work with me so I could get what I wanted. We sent that puppy back & forth a couple of times until I felt comfortable pulling the trigger. Chenai just sent me the blue tape you use for edging when painting, & I'd mark the ones to be deleted, she'd delete those & add in more, then we'd send it back & forth all over again. I'd inquire with AM to see if they'd do the same. I've also read on another forum that PP is very good about this, so I would not hesitate to ask AP if they would allow the same process. I wanted to throw this out here before you make a final decision. I do think having the ability to preview a strand before its strung to inspect the pearls and then make any changes if you found any you'd like replaced would be a bonus. What fun, I love Tahitian pearls!:love:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @sarahb ! That's good to know. I'm still deciding if I want this now or I may wait. I don't think I will wear them much in the summer. It's way too hot here for a heavy necklace.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's beautiful, Queenie! The 8-10mm is what I am going to aim for when I do a long Tahitian. There are some good choices of vendors for Tahitians.

@ceg My understanding is that there will be more sales. Someone said that PP has a Tahitian sale maybe around August. We just need to keep up with the sales at PP, AP, Tahitianpearls.biz, and the Pearl Source and let each other know. I also think I'd wear Tahitians most in fall and winter so that's my goal to look for later this summer!

Q

Queenie60

That's beautiful, Queenie! The 8-10mm is what I am going to aim for when I do a long Tahitian. There are some good choices of vendors for Tahitians.

@ceg My understanding is that there will be more sales. Someone said that PP has a Tahitian sale maybe around August. We just need to keep up with the sales at PP, AP, Tahitianpearls.biz, and the Pearl Source and let each other know. I also think I'd wear Tahitians most in fall and winter so that's my goal to look for later this summer!
Tahitianpearls.biz will give you a "sale" price throughout the year. Especially if you tell them DS that you were referred by me (my real name!) as I have purchased many pearl strands from them. My husband gives them to his female employees! I have one strand of silver/blue tahitians that I do wear during the summer months as it tends to blend with much of my summer attire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 Oh, I'd love a strand of silver-blue! That's the problem with Tahitians, you could easily need multiple strands with all the color options! lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results