shape
carat
color
clarity

Baroque Pearl Drop Pair - 10-12mm

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I'm totally new to Pearls. I would love to make some drop pearl charms to be able to attach to my diamond studs.

I don't want to spend a lot so I think I pretty much have to go with Freshwater Pearls. Is there a vendor that anybody can recommend for top quality Freshwater Pearls. I would love some White South Sea Pearls, but atm they most likely out of my budget (500 USD).

Also maybe somebody can tell me how White South Sea and Freshwater Pearls really differ in appearance?

Oh and my last question is is there a weight difference between WSS and FW Pearls?
And also a big weight difference between FS Pearls and Costume Jewelery Pealrs?

Thank you for your help!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Depending on size you should be able to get a pair of really top quality freshwater pearls for that money. You could find a pair of south sea (if you were prepared to accept flaws on the back of the pearls, for example)
The main difference between the two types is that freshwater pearls have a much sharper luster while even the finest of SS has a luster which is towards the satin-ish.
No difference in weight between the two types as far as I know, though I have never done a scientific and exact weight/volume experiment. Fake pearls may be considerably lighter. They will appear to be top quality and will be very inexpensive!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with FW too. Mostly because finding a WSS drop pair that matches well in colour and shape will be really difficult - that's difficult regardless of budget!

Between WSS and FW of same size and shape - I don't know if there would be a weight difference, but I can say for sure that if there is, it won't be anything significant or worth basing a decision on.

Souffle pearls are large, and hollow (FW). Very light. I've got some. They're also often super lustrous and iridescent, but they've got very irregular shapes - you won't find a smooth teardrop shaped souffle.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I probably would not set a soufflé pearl as a drop for an earring - because it is hollow there is much less pearl for the peg to adhere to. It's a bit like putting up a heavy shelf on plasterboard. It can be done with special plugs and so on, but it's never as secure as on brick (I know construction methods are different in the USA but you perhaps get the analogy anyway, I hope)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably would not set a soufflé pearl as a drop for an earring - because it is hollow there is much less pearl for the peg to adhere to. It's a bit like putting up a heavy shelf on plasterboard. It can be done with special plugs and so on, but it's never as secure as on brick (I know construction methods are different in the USA but you perhaps get the analogy anyway, I hope)

This is a great point, I didn’t even think about this when I mentioned soufflé just now. I have soufflé drop earrings that have a pin going through the drill hole with flat wide “head” on the interior, so there’s no way the pin can slip through the thinner layer of pearl if it comes unglued… That’s probably the only reasonable way to do it. I wouldn’t trust the peg alone. Even then, as you say, it’s not as sound as a solid pearl, wouldn’t do rings or bracelets this way.

I also store each earring in its own box, since they’re hollow - no need to tempt a crushing fate right.

Last edited:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thank you for your insights on soufflé pearls. I didn't even know they existed.

Where did you buy and have yours mounted @yssie ?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank you for your insights on soufflé pearls. I didn't even know they existed.

Where did you buy and have yours mounted @yssie ?

Mine are from Pearl Paradise! I'm based in the US, so it's easy for me to shop with them. IIRC you're not in America though?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow
always something to learn in the world of pearls
thank you yssie

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Baroque shapes that are well matched are quite difficult to find no matter what type of pearl you are looking for...
Definitely if you are thinking of 11mm + for the pearls then you would want to consider Freshwater given your budget. Baroque South Sea have become ridiculously expensive. SS prices have increased over 30% in the past year and good baroques are getting very rare.

Freshwater come in all sorts of shapes - baroque are not hard to find. Perhaps small Fireball pearls would be a thought? This is an example ( she says hoping that the photo will attach)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results