shape
carat
color
clarity

Baroque Blue Akoyas

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I bought myself something pretty from PP this morning: 9.5-10mm baroque blue akoyas! I am so excited! I already own a strand of the 7.5-8mm blues, but they're too small for what I usually wear. I like my pearls just a smidge bigger. And, since the blues are on sale right now, I went for it. A friend is going to inherit my original strand from me because she has always liked them. I can't wait for them to arrive. Countdown is on! :dance:

Anyone else get any blue akoyas from the PP November sale?

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I do, but I won't know for sure until Christmas. I asked Santa for some blue akoya studs, so PP's November sale looked awfully serendipitous to me. :) And a mysterious fedex box from a certain address did arrive this morning... :appl:

I look forward to pics of your new strand!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see your blue akoya, ladies-- I bet they'll be gorgeous!

I was very tempted by the larger studs which I think were 8.5-9mm.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I'm tempted. But I already have a strand of 10 mm silver blue baroques and 9 mm Vietnamese blues in princess lengths. I'd love a rope of either type. I'm sort of waiting to see what PP posts on Black Friday. But I really shouldn't buy anything since I just had a unique silver blue pendant custom made for me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone please explain to this pearl ignoramus the difference between all the natural blue pearls that exist? I know there are Blue Akoyas but are there also other natural occurring blue pearls? Tahitian blues, etc? And if so can someone also explain the pros and cons of each? I really want to purchase a strand of blue pearls but before I take the plunge would like to know all the options. Thanks!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Akoyas will naturally be smaller than Tahitians. Akoyas will run in the 6mm to 10mm size range, while Tahitians will be in the 8 mm on up range. Also, the color is a bit different. The blue akoyas can be silver blue with rosy overtones to intense purply and aqua colors. The Tahitians will be a bit more on the green side and can be either silver blue without the rose tones to darker green blues. The baroque akoyas will be very free form, while the baroque Tahitians may be drops or circle's. There are plenty of exceptions to these rules. Well, they're not really rules, but just my general observations. Plus, you can get perfect rounds with both types of pearls. The Tahitians probably have thicker nacre, but the nacre on the Vietnamese blue akoyas is pretty thick, too.

I would recommend that you get on a website like Pearl Paradise and look at the blue akoyas and the blue Tahitians and just see what you like. It's really a matter of preference. One is not better than the other. I happen to love the blue akoyas because I own some, but I haven't seen any blue Tahitians in person.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
missy|1448051980|3952203 said:
Can someone please explain to this pearl ignoramus the difference between all the natural blue pearls that exist? I know there are Blue Akoyas but are there also other natural occurring blue pearls? Tahitian blues, etc? And if so can someone also explain the pros and cons of each? I really want to purchase a strand of blue pearls but before I take the plunge would like to know all the options. Thanks!

The difference apart from size and luster that's inherent to the type of pearl would be the tone/color. I do think they are all lovely in their own way. There are blue akoyas, tahitians and south sea as well as freshwater pearls.

If you are getting a strand, akoyas is probably the easiest and most affordable way to go. Blue tahitian and south sea strands are a lot rarer and more expensive. I've never seen a strand of blue freshwater pearl before either.

BWeaves said:
The Tahitians will be a bit more on the green side and can be either silver blue without the rose tones to darker green blues.

There are tahitians that are absolutely blue without a tinge of green. I've seen light blue and dark blue tahitians that are totally blue.

I took some pics of the blues in my collection a few years ago.

image_183.jpg

More pics/close-ups here: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/pearls-new/photographing-my-pearls-t192475-60.html

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank you girls so much for that detailed and helpful explanation! BWeaves and icy jade I really appreciate that. I have been toying with the idea of getting the blue Akoyas (Baroque as I cannot afford the perfectly round ones I wish I could get) and thank you for your excellent description and pics. Icy Jade you have a gorgeous collection of blues!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There's also natural blue Sea of Cortez pearls but for a strand you might need a mortgage! Very Very very rare.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearlescence|1448196776|3952739 said:
There's also natural blue Sea of Cortez pearls but for a strand you might need a mortgage! Very Very very rare.

Ooh you have my attention now. :love:

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Thanks IcyJade! That's why I did say that there were plenty of exceptions to my comments. You are right that there are perfectly blue Tahitians, but they are pretty rare.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
img_2754.jpg

Here are my light mix tahitians...several are without any green, on a blue, white, or silver base. I am so in love with the colors on this strand, that I just ordered some 14k white gold and diamond rondelles to string with them. I'm still searching for the perfect clasp, so for now, it's a 10mm white gold ball clasp.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Your Tahitians are gorgeous.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BWeaves|1448391643|3953625 said:
Wow! Your Tahitians are gorgeous.

Huge ditto. Those are spectacular Pirard. :love:

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
They're here, they're here!

I am so thrilled. I love these 1000x more than I loved my smaller strand of 7.5-8mm pearls. Like that thread about what you wish you had known when you starting buying pearls, I like my pearls just a little bit bigger and these 9.5-10mm baroque blues are awesome!

Thank you so much to PP for being amazing as always and for sending me the most beautiful strand I have seen. I am thrilled with them!

They are now wrapped and under the tree, but I got some pics of them before I put them there!

img_9962.jpg

img_9964.jpg

img_9965.jpg

img_9966.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I love these! My favorite strand was my 18" strand of peacock circled Tahitians from PP, but these are definitely in competition for my heart now.

img_9968.jpg

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
They are so beautiful! I love how they glow.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous. They just glow, don't they?

Chanukah is next week. Open them early and celebrate all the holidays!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
They look so lovely on you!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
They look beautiful on you. :appl:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow how beautiful. Really lovely. So tempted. :love: :love: :love:

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh beautiful!

Arialle

Rough_Rock
Beautiful!!!
Love the luster~

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I guess you don't go shopping for pearls were PP does. I've never had any problems with my Baroque baby blue akoyas and haven't seen any others here on this forum complain.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
The BBAs I've bought have very thick nacre. I've gotten all mine from PP.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
This is probably a silly question but does anyone remember how these baroque akoyas were described by PP? They appear to be so round and smooth in comparison to the free form baroque pearls. I love them!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Mine are from June 2009

_2730.jpeg

_2732.jpeg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Nacrelover!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Pirard|1448387707|3953613 said:
img_2754.jpg

Here are my light mix tahitians...several are without any green, on a blue, white, or silver base. I am so in love with the colors on this strand, that I just ordered some 14k white gold and diamond rondelles to string with them. I'm still searching for the perfect clasp, so for now, it's a 10mm white gold ball clasp.

Pirard: what size are your pearls? They are absolutely gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results