shape
carat
color
clarity

Band too thin? It's brand new

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Just got this ring in. I've worn it less than 4 days for no more than 4 hrs a day. It already looks like its thinning on the side? I measured it and its less than 1mm thick and the width is prob about 1mm as well. I am thinking of having another jeweler add some gold to it? I tried to do a little reading and it seems to suggest bands under 1.5mm won't last. IMG_9598.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a very delicate ring!

Even in platinum, I am not sure it would stand up to daily wear.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
It's brand new and I'm pretty upset with the width and all that.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It won’t be thinning already after such a short period of wear. However it does look to have been made too thin to begin with so is likely to be easily deformed. Can you go back to the jeweller and talk to them about making the shank more robust?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the sooner the fashion for thin delicate rings is over the better ;)2

however im sorry Bonsai that your new ring is not going to live up to expectations
maybe just return it and buy something a bit thicker rather than going to the trouble and exspensive of having it modified

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you contacted the vendor yet?
Was any measurements listed in the sale, or on any other media for that style ring from that vendor?
Need that info first before blind advice on what to do can be given, IMO.

Plus need accurate measurements from caliper/micrometer

Last edited:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
These are the measurements. I did contact the vendor. She said its normal for her bands to taper to 1 mm. It said the width online but not what they taper to just that they taper. She said its for comfort and no one has complained. It's a well known seller on this forum a lot of ppl use. I asked in another thread if anyone else had issues they said she would fix them if there's a problem. she said there's no problem. I will prob just have the jeweler I use in NY fix the band. Its too thin. Everything I've researched says a band this thin won't last.

IMG_9600.jpg IMG_9601.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. I saw the other threads and know who it is. I am surprised if all the lily rings that’s been posted- no one else has mentioned it being that thin before.
I have a ring from HeartOfWater that’s 1.5-1.8 mm. It’s a drawn wire, so I believe stronger than a cast item of same size. I can’t imagine a 1mm one.
I guess ‘done for comfort’ is a subjective term. Anyways- I did ask HOW about the frailty of the shank and she told me they’ve never been an issue with damage.
But- I still would never want an everyday ring to be this thin, nor do much hands on /dog walking/carrying heavy items with the ring on.
I wonder if ‘adding metal to’ by another jeweler is really adding metal to it, or just a reshank. I’d ask.
And know if you have another jeweler work on it - any mfg issues that come up are no longer YR’s issue to resolve. Since you are in the USA, I’d ask her how much she’d charge you to redo it or reshank it to your liking. Her saying ‘there’s no problem’ is an answer to her doing it for free.
You should have that information before making decision?
If you have already decided to go to a different jeweler anyways - I’d almost wait till it bent before having it done. Maybe it won’t for many years? It truly depends on what forces it endures, and it’s evident around here that there’s a huge range between all of us.

Best wishes.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
If you look at my top pic its already bending that's the problem, and I've barely worn it.
and good point on the damage although if they don't touch the stones idk.
I was going to ask them to thicken it. from reading they cut the band and make a new shank

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still would ask the original vendor what they would charge to re-shank before sending to another jeweler to do.
She should have offered that information when you initially contacted her. But she didn’t.
And probably not because she didn’t want to - she probably just didn’t think to do so.

Source - have worked with her before.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I just sent her a msg and asked her. I should have asked her originally but I wasn't sure what she did in terms of custom work. I had asked her to do a design I had found as a previous sale in fact a PS-er had posted it and she said "that wasn't her design" and I'm like well ok....but it was in her shop. So I automatically assumed maybe she only works with the scope of certain designs she has pre made and specifications for those designs.. and cant do anything outside of certain specs. I shouldn't have assumed though so now I asked.

I would just as well her add the sizing if she can but the band as is now is too thin.

That was why I asked in the other threads b/c I wasn't sure if mine is a mistake being too thin or what but on the 1 side in that spot its super thin.

The reason it bothers me is I LOVE the ring. It's so beautiful and the top seems to be well enough thick in gold and quality enough. I had it done all sapphires b/c Iwant it to be a daily wear ring but with that band I cant. I had another one I wanted to do with her and I will if they can make the bands thick enough

So are your rings from her that thin?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring project with her didn’t come to fruition. It was not fun. There’s an old thread banging around the closet with a few skeletons. Knowing what I know now, I would have handled it differently and I bet she has different procedures in place, and I would expect a smooth project if her and I were to ever attempt again.
I do have a necklace from her though.
Her pieces are lovely.

Don’t give up on your ring yet.
If Etsy convo (if that’s what you are using- or whatever written word) isn’t communicating clearly-
Pick up the phone Monday and call her. I can’t imagine it will cost you a ton to have her bench reshank with a thicker width and it sounds like you need it resized anyways.
Persevere and all will be ok.

And move on with your daily wear gorgeous ring!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I totally understand how you're feeling as I get stressed about too thin shanks:). As beautiful as they are I just can't shake off the feeling that "any day soon something will happen to the ring" and I don't want to risk wearing them, which is not why we get them right?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s “normal” for the bottom of the ring to be made thinner for comfort, it hasn’t “worn down” in the time you’ve had it, it was made that way.
Is it too thin for longevity?
Perhaps, it might also be more likely to bend out shape so you might choose to have some extra metal added

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just sent her a msg and asked her.

I should have asked her originally but I wasn't sure what she did in terms of custom work. I had asked her to do a design I had found as a previous sale in fact a PS-er had posted it and she said "that wasn't her design" and I'm like well ok....but it was in her shop.

I would just as well her add the sizing if she can but the band as is now is too thin.

Do you have an update on your communication with her?

She does custom work all the time. Either a miscommunication or Maybe her reply was in relation to you ‘wanting’ a design her customer (another PS’er) had designed and shes not automatically allowing it for reproduction. You can always tag that PS’er here and ask their permission to copy or utilize elements of the design. Happens here and there - usually no issues. It’s nice to ask first :)

And the ring is not the correct size you asked for? Or you want to change the ring size?

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
@Bron357 If you look at my pic the ring is thinner in the one area on the side and already bending ie conforming to my finger after hardly wearing it.

@Rfisher she is putting a thicker shank on it. it's 3 mm wide and 1 mm thick... either replacing it or somehow adding the metal to it. I didnt quite understand but either way should be fine?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you are getting the work done thru her. Best choice - IMO

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it resized larger for you?
Often times, unless you request otherwise, they will just thin the ring to increase the size rather than adding extra metal.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Was it resized larger for you?
Often times, unless you request otherwise, they will just thin the ring to increase the size rather than adding extra metal.

It doesnt need to be resized.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results