shape
carat
color
clarity

*Baltimore PS-ers, I need your help!!*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys!!! My little brother is being relocated to Baltimore for his job. Him and his gf will be working in the inner harbor area, and they need to find an apartment (to rent) by the end of this month. They are having a hard time with what areas they should be looking in, avoiding, etc. Also, if someone has a realtor in the area that they can suggest that would be awesome too- I think they could really benefit from one at this point.

My brother and his gf are a young couple in their mid-20''s, so they want to be in a area where there are things to do, people around their age, etc. Any suggestions and/or info please!!!!

Thank you!!!!
1.gif

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
My sister and her FI just bought a house in Canton, it''s definitely one of the fun 20-something neighborhoods. She rented there for 3 years before buying. Fell''s Point is another neighborhood that trends toward the young, hip side. Both of these neighborhoods are relatively close to the inner harbor area.

Hamden is another great neighborhood, but is a little further from the inner harbor.

Good luck to your brother and his gf!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I agree about Canton and Fells Point being the relatively "happening" places in Baltimore. Harbor East would probably work well for them, too. However, despite these being the better neighborhoods, they are not particularly exciting (to me.) There is a TON of petty crime, unfortunately. One of my co-workers lives in Canton and his car has been broken into three times in 1.5 years. Most recently, they sprayed his wife''s tanning lotion all over the interior, ruining it
20.gif
ugh.

My husband and I live in the suburbs, though. He has a long drive and its much more convenient for him. I am a city girl, but Baltimore is such a disappointment. Sorry Dani, this turned into a vent rather than much help for your brother
3.gif
Hopefully he and his gf will enjoy it more than we do!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 10:31:47 AM
Author: icekid
I agree about Canton and Fells Point being the relatively ''happening'' places in Baltimore. Harbor East would probably work well for them, too. However, despite these being the better neighborhoods, they are not particularly exciting (to me.) There is a TON of petty crime, unfortunately. One of my co-workers lives in Canton and his car has been broken into three times in 1.5 years. Most recently, they sprayed his wife''s tanning lotion all over the interior, ruining it
20.gif
ugh.

My husband and I live in the suburbs, though. He has a long drive and its much more convenient for him. I am a city girl, but Baltimore is such a disappointment. Sorry Dani, this turned into a vent rather than much help for your brother
3.gif
Hopefully he and his gf will enjoy it more than we do!

Oh that''s terrible, icekid!! He''s hoping to get back to our area (northern NJ) in about 2 yrs. Believe me, they are not planning on staying there long-term. But in the meantime, we''re hoping they can find a decent place to live in a decent neighborhood!!!
2.gif
YIKES!!
6.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure if this is close enough or even if there are yound people there, but I am fond of the Timonium and Hunt Valley area.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 10:54:04 AM
Author: Dani
Date: 1/5/2010 10:31:47 AM

Oh that''s terrible, icekid!! He''s hoping to get back to our area (northern NJ) in about 2 yrs. Believe me, they are not planning on staying there long-term. But in the meantime, we''re hoping they can find a decent place to live in a decent neighborhood!!!
2.gif
YIKES!!
6.gif

I thought I recalled that you were from the NY area; somehow Baltimore is not going to compare haha! Fells Point is really my favorite part of Baltimore. It is pretty cute, but very small- literally a few blocks. Oh well.

2 years sounds reasonable. We just moved here 6 months ago; 2.5 years left for us
9.gif
36.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Towson isn't far from the city, and it's a bit cheaper and generally safer, if that's an option. I went to Hopkins and Fells Point was the go-to place every weekend - lots of things to do.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can go just a few blocks in any given direction in downtown Bmore and wind up in a completely different neighbourhood - walking uptown from campus for ten minutes takes you to Roland Park, a very old-money, wealthy neighbourhood; walking ten minutes downtown takes you to some of Baltimore's most unsavoury areas - keep going straight for another twenty minutes or so and you're at the inner harbour.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 6:50:30 PM
Author: yssie
Towson isn''t far from the city, and it''s a bit cheaper and generally safer, if that''s an option. I went to Hopkins and Fells Point was the go-to place every weekend - lots of things to do.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can go just a few blocks in any given direction in downtown Bmore and wind up in a completely different neighbourhood - walking uptown from campus for ten minutes takes you to Roland Park, a very old-money, wealthy neighbourhood; walking ten minutes downtown takes you to some of Baltimore''s most unsavoury areas - keep going straight for another twenty minutes or so and you''re at the inner harbour.

Yssie, what year did you graduate?
1.gif

Dani, I also used to live in Baltimore. If I were living in the city proper, I would want to be in Hampden because it''s kinda cool and makes me nostalgic for my college days. But, as much of a city person as I am, I agree that the best bet is to head for Towson or somewhere suburban. To echo icekid, there is a lot of petty crime in the city. Within a couple weeks of moving there, my friend''s car was broken into twice. The first time, they stole the change from her ashtray and some mints. The second time, they stole a pack of cigarettes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Class of '07
1.gif
Stuck around through '08.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 8:50:51 PM
Author: yssie
Class of ''07
1.gif
Stuck around through ''08.
Oh!! I feel old now...
2.gif
I was ''01.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results