shape
carat
color
clarity

Backup car seat brand?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all. In the past, you have been fantastic at helping me choose car seats, so I thought I'd impose on you again.

We currently have 2 Diono Radians for my 3 year old. We love them. However, their steel construction doesn't make for the lightest frame and the price point isn't exactly cheap. We are moving to my home state later this month and will finally be able to see my parents on a routine basis. My Mum's car has an infant bucket and a rear facing Gracco for my nieces. My short little guy is only 28 or so pounds so he is fine with riding rear facing for brief periods. I would like to buy a front facing seat for my Dad's car since he has big dreams of turning my son into a pro golfer this summer. :roll:

I frankly don't want to spend $300 on another Diono for intermittent use and I dislike the hook style latch on the Gracco. Can you please suggest a brand/model that could be used with a growing toddler (and my nieces thereafter) with the stapler looking latch, fairly easy install/uninstall and strong safety specs?

Thanks in advance!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We just got a britax boulevard for this exact purpose. Albee baby has sales and coupons and free shipping pretty often. It Is a Breeze to install compared to radians. Although it isn't the cheapest back up, it is great for safety. Could also wait til kiddo is a bit bigger to go with the pioneer or frontier.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
All approved car seats in the US have to meet the same safety standards. It's a pass or fail system, and while each company might do their own additional testing, there is no proof that one car seat is any safer than another. When you pay more for a car seat you are just paying for things like brand recognition, added features, style, and convenience (easier to install, fits better in cars, easier to adjust).

We also went with the Radian RXT, because I liked the features (takes up less space, extended rear facing, the look).

But if we needed to buy a back up car seat, I would just find a cheap one that fits well in the car (some seats fit better in different cars) and is fairly easy to install (improper installation makes it less safe). It will be just as safe, and all the extra bells and whistles aren't as important if you are only using it once in a while.

Here is a link to a Car Seat group that I belong to and the car seats they recommend:
http://csftl.org/recommended-seats/compare-convertible-seats/

As you can see, there are some pricey ones on there (Foonf, Radian) but also some cheaper options. This group is really big on extended rear facing (almost annoyingly so) so that is one of the main things they are looking for when comparing seats. But they are also looking at other features that make a car seat more likely to be used properly.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I can even ask my group for more specific recommendations by telling them the budget, car, size of the child, etc.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and I wanted to add:

My fave tip is to go and try out seats at the store first. Then when you find a seat you like, look online for the best deal. If you have a BabiesRUs or Buy Buy Baby near you, they will price match Amazon. I used amazon price tracker websites and waited until the price was the lowest and then went in and grabbed my Radian. I saved like $100 or something, and didn't have to wait/pay for shipping!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I also belong to that group, Mia :wavey:

What about a Britax Frontier? I have had both the old one and the new one, and the new Click Tight installation is amazing! It'd make swapping the seat out a breeze and is a long lasting seat, so your nieces and kid would get a good number of years out of it. They're not cheap, though.

Absent that, I would learn how to do a seatbelt install so that you're not dependent on LATCH. I used to be very intimidated, but once I forced myself to learn (since I had two backup seats in my sister's car, which doesn't have LATCH), it's really easy and for me, quicker than LATCH.

We have Radians as well and I love them. I know they just released the new version (Ranier?) so maybe the old ones would be on sale?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1402317505|3689295 said:

:wavey: :appl:

Slight threadjack, but I've been dying to get someone else's thoughts on this group! I love the easy access to advice, recommendations, etc. And I agree with overall safety recommendations. We will rear-face as long as possible. But man can they be judgmental! Heaven forbid someone wants to forward face their 2 year old or hold their baby on their lap on a plane! I believe safety is more of a continuum thing and everyone has their own comfort level. The "safest" thing would be to never leave the house with our kids. On the other hand I think it's funny when members of the group, who know the vibe post things like "don't argue with me, I'm turning my one year old FF, which seat should I get?" Why don't they just lie and say it's a four year old? Hahaha!

Another thing: It's astounding how many people use car seats wrong. Like everyone I know does! Sometimes I think of why this is. I know some people point to "lazy" or uneducated parents, or blame the government for not having stricter laws or more PSAs. But the more I think of it, why don't car seat manufacturers make it easier to do it right? Sure it's all in the manual, and there are little warnings on the side that no one looks at, but they could easily put a big yellow sticker on the chest clip saying "your child could be seriously harmed if this clip is not at nipple/armpit level" or something on the straps saying "your child can still fly out if these straps are twisted or there is enough slack that you can pinch." I mean my gosh, they could be huge stickers that come off before the first use. I have been really educated on car seat safety for years but I still have to pull out my Radian manual out and read the fine print to double check things. We all know most parents don't do this and certainly don't have the time.

Lastly, have you seen the Ranier in the houndstooth? Ah! I wanted it so badly, but DD needed a convertible sooner, and I will probably get DS the same Radian so they match. I wish they made the head wings removable for the Ranier though, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Sorry for my huge threadjack!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mia1181|1402332690|3689487 said:
Logan Sapphire|1402317505|3689295 said:

:wavey: :appl:

Slight threadjack, but I've been dying to get someone else's thoughts on this group! I love the easy access to advice, recommendations, etc. And I agree with overall safety recommendations. We will rear-face as long as possible. But man can they be judgmental! Heaven forbid someone wants to forward face their 2 year old or hold their baby on their lap on a plane! I believe safety is more of a continuum thing and everyone has their own comfort level. The "safest" thing would be to never leave the house with our kids. On the other hand I think it's funny when members of the group, who know the vibe post things like "don't argue with me, I'm turning my one year old FF, which seat should I get?" Why don't they just lie and say it's a four year old? Hahaha!

Another thing: It's astounding how many people use car seats wrong. Like everyone I know does! Sometimes I think of why this is. I know some people point to "lazy" or uneducated parents, or blame the government for not having stricter laws or more PSAs. But the more I think of it, why don't car seat manufacturers make it easier to do it right? Sure it's all in the manual, and there are little warnings on the side that no one looks at, but they could easily put a big yellow sticker on the chest clip saying "your child could be seriously harmed if this clip is not at nipple/armpit level" or something on the straps saying "your child can still fly out if these straps are twisted or there is enough slack that you can pinch." I mean my gosh, they could be huge stickers that come off before the first use. I have been really educated on car seat safety for years but I still have to pull out my Radian manual out and read the fine print to double check things. We all know most parents don't do this and certainly don't have the time.

Lastly, have you seen the Ranier in the houndstooth? Ah! I wanted it so badly, but DD needed a convertible sooner, and I will probably get DS the same Radian so they match. I wish they made the head wings removable for the Ranier though, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Sorry for my huge threadjack!

I visited that site and agree with you- people are a little to judgy for my liking. Everyone has to make their own parenting decisions. We turned B when he was one. This was after I did my research and spoke to the pediatrician about it. He absolutely hated being in his car seat, especially since his legs were scrunched. Once we flipped him forward he was much happier (now if I could just get him to stop kicking the front seat!). And I totally agree with the chest clip. I always see pics posted by friends and the clip is almost always at the stomach level, with really lose straps.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Munchkin, I second what Mia said. Get something easy to install and affordable. We bought an extra Safety First Alpha Omega at Costo, on sale for something like $80. I know the car seat forums hate that seat, but it is pretty easy to install (with latch) and not too heavy. We can easily put it in our parents' cars when needed.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1402339488|3689559 said:
Munchkin, I second what Mia said. Get something easy to install and affordable. We bought an extra Safety First Alpha Omega at Costo, on sale for something like $80. I know the car seat forums hate that seat, but it is pretty easy to install (with latch) and not too heavy. We can easily put it in our parents' cars when needed.
We used to have that seat but then DS threw up in it and I could not for the life of me figure out how to take the cover off. I have a master's degree, able to assemble furniture with no instructions and had the car seat's manual on hand. Couldn't figure it out so had to throw it out. Will never buy another Alpha Omega in my life even though we could've bought 4 for the price of Britax.

I'm following this thread with great interest as we need another seat for granny's car. I love my Britax but it's expensive for random use.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
AMC-That is exactly what I am talking about! You've done your research (thoroughly, it sounds) and you are comfortable having your child face forward. It's not up for debate, only you are mom to your child! That whole pervasive attitude among moms that there is only one way to do things really annoys me!

Baby Monster- Sorry to hear about your Alpha and Omega. Anything made for children should be easily washed!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Mia, I agree- that group is rabid. I actually don't read much because it's too big and the people there, while well-meaning, make me want to turn my (imaginary) kid around at 6 months old just to spite them! And this coming from someone who RF'd a tall kid until 3.5!

Try Car Seat Safety. I believe it spun off CSFTL in response to the tone and judgment. The people are just as helpful, but they're willing to work with parents at all stages. I don't think anyone would tell a parent to turn a child at 1, but are much more easy-going than the other place.

I haven't seen the new Raniers at all in person! We're hopefully out of the convertible game, since my younger one is 4 and should be situated. We're actually getting into the new world of high back boosters for my 6 year old.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to pop back in to say thanks for the advice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results