shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Nurseries

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I figured I would start a new thread that was about our future babies (or current babies rooms). I am having second thoughts on the crib I picked out and would love to hear what other people think.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *think* I am going to get the dark one.

crib.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are going to get one dresser too. Which do you think would work better? Here is the 5 drawer shown in white. Imagine it in espresso.

5Drawer.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the lower dresser. I would not get the hutch/bookcase part.

What do you think???

ComboEspresso.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Tacori,

I can''t be of much help (since I don''t know much about baby furniture) but I LOVE the dark wood of that crib.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
fun thread; It is all so beautiful!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you started this thread Tacori, I love baby nurseries.
36.gif
I like them both, I know you have had your heart set on the darker crib from day one. I''m wondering why you are having second thoughts?? Go for what you love!!
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everything you''ve posted is beautiful! I really love the espresso. It''s a richer color than the white. I don''t think you could go wrong though, no matter which you ultimately choose.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
EBree, I like the richness of the dark too. I wanted black but this is close and much better quality than the black ones I have found. I guess I was just worried about how it would look with my bedding (though there is brown in there)

Skippy, I figured baby furniture needed a thread of its own
2.gif
There are so many styles available. It is crazy!

Lisa, I really like the style (I like more modern furniture) and even the legs match the legs of some of my other furniture (coffee table, kitchen table....) It is even the same color. I do really like the richness but I worry how it will look with the bedding. Also I don''t "love" the drawer style. I which it was flat. But besides that....It is much more modern than most of the styles out and is a convertable crib (not like I''ll be able to do that for 10 years but still...its a nice option). Which dresser do you think would work better for a growing child?

Thanks Zoe! I do love dark wood. The darker, the better. I think we are going to paint the room a light aqua/blue and I love brown and blue together.

I hope this thread will encourage others to post their baby rooms too!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
here''s my sons room...

turtleroom.jpg

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
another

room2.jpg

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
we''ve since hung pictures on the walls and stuff, but these were right before he came home.

room3.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
NYC, it is so cute how you painted his room! Did you do that yourself? Thank you for sharing. How funny I registered for the same boppy changing cover. Is it easy to clean?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
NYC,
I love your son''s room, too cute!!
36.gif
Did you do the painting yourself??

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i drew the stencil, put it on the wall and dh painted it.
20.gif
he was thrilled...lol the boppy is really easy to clean...you just unzip the cover and throw it in the wash.

E B

Ideal_Rock
NYC, what a cute idea! I love the waves.

I know I'm not a mom yet, but I saw this on a swatch at Home Depot one day, and thought it was such a cute design idea (for the walls...you could go with any theme, really). The colors are so soft and calming. FH and I are going to be moving into a 4 bedroom house in late July with a room that'd be so perfect as a nursery.
9.gif
31.gif

cloudsnursery.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Check out this cool mural from Zach''s Nursery Under the Sea!

I''d love to have something like that done to our future nursery. The trick is finding an artist that''d do it!

undertheseamural.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luckily I went to art school so I am a decent painter. I am not sure if that is the route I want to go. They have some really cool stuff on that website....Oh if only I could spend $1,200 on a crib....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also do you think it is a problem that the crib doesn''t have a drop down side? I am short. The lady at the store said now since the mattress is adjustable and one they are bigger (and you have to move it down) they stand up to be let out anyways. On the plus no moving parts to get little fingers pinched.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Tacori: I think the highboy dresser (not the one with the hutch on it) would be more versatile than the one with the little closet door thingie for a growing child. It will be more useful/practical down the road.

Ummm, yeah its an issue that it doesn't have a drop down side. I am 5"5' and I NEED the drop down side to lay him down at night and he's 2. I can't reach it otherwise.... He does stand up to be picked up, but they won't do that for most of their first year. And if they are feeling tired/sick they might not stand up for you. Yes the mattress is adjustable, but you really only use the highest & lowest settings, because once these little monkeys can sit up/roll around (6 months at the latest for safety), for your own sanity, its best to just lower it down all the way, just in case they decide to have a major developmental leap & learn how to shimmy on over. You aren't going to pinch any fingers with a drop down side. I'm a total scaredy cat when it comes to safety (My baby gates could secure Fort Knox) and I have no issues.

One interesting note....Basset Baby makes cribs for Pottery Barn Kids as well as Target. I got my Mission Style crib from Target (basset) for $200 and its the exact same one that goes for $599 at Pottery Barn Kids (Kendall crib). It's not a convertible crib, but I decided against that because I knew that if we had another baby --I'd need the crib for the new baby & just get the kids their own beds. Turns out that is not a bad way to go if you might want more than one, I'm just reusing Jake's crib, changing table, & glider in Delaney's room.

But that said....I LOVE the lines on your crib & the dark color is gorgeous. I'm sure I confused you more. LOL. you can smack me now.

NYC: Awesome paint job. I will try and post pics of ds's fishing cabin room tomorrow. I have a dark cherry crib/bookcase/glider/changing table, but his dresser & toy chest are the rustic red that his big boy bed will be. We are changing his theme to match his new Athletics bedding from Pbkids... :)

Diver

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 12:42:28 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Also do you think it is a problem that the crib doesn''t have a drop down side? I am short. The lady at the store said now since the mattress is adjustable and one they are bigger (and you have to move it down) they stand up to be let out anyways. On the plus no moving parts to get little fingers pinched.

I''m short also (4''9") and I''ll definitely need a drop down side, otherwise I''d never be able to get the baby out (unless I used a stool).
1.gif
I know you''re probably much taller than me, but I would consider it somewhat of a hassle to not have drop down sides. Sorry -- this might not be what you want to hear. There''s not a version or a similar styled crib with moveable sides?

golden

Shiny_Rock
My friend did the most adorable nursery for her daughter- she has the dark cherry furniture, but had them change all the regular wood knobs, to crystal knobs and it is gorgeous, I plan on doing the same one day!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I love it! DD's crib was very similar (but in white). You'll love the lower design. The espresso finish is very versatile...Girl or boy...Fancy and elegant to casual. I like it much better than plain white or natural wood. Are you going to have a changing table? The low dresser can probably be converted so that's a plus for the low design. OTOH, the tall one takes up less floor space. Is the room large or small? What about a rocker? Oh my, I could go to town on nurseries...I'd better stop now or I'll be obsessing about your baby's room LOL!

ETA: DD's crib did not have a drop down side and it never bothered me since the sides of the crib were fairly low anyway. I'm 5'2", not quite a giant.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the hutch piece for later, if you are using the bottom piece as a changing table now (depending on the height) and add the top piece later for books and stuff. The dark is rich looking. What colors are you using?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
NYC I LOVE YOUR NURSERY!!! It is so cute!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh!!! Now I am so confused. I am only 5''1". Hmmmm....anyone see a crib like this WITH a drop side??? The lady at the store seemed to think it was not a problem but then again she is in sales.
15.gif
38.gif

I am not sure what to do about a changing table. If we get the low dresser it probably will be used (though my mom hates that it is not all drawers too). Otherwise I figure I can buy a cheap $100 one at Target (the no frills kind).

I ordered a valance so I could see the color of the bedding. In the photo online (it is in the pregnancy thread) they painted the room a light blue. We will probably do something like that. There is also a green in it but it looks kind of dark from the photo. The reviews said it was more of a lime green IRL. The room is a decent size. I never measured it. It could handle its share of furniture. The carpet is a light tan so it should go with anything. It has a nice big double window. I already picked out my glider. I love it! It looks like a regular chair and is SOOO comfy. I just need to pick out the fabric which I will probably do this weekend/next week with my MIL.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I guess as the parent of a 10 year old, the most important thing I'd consider when doing a baby nursery is getting pieces that can be used for a number of years. They are really only in the "nursery" stage of life for 2 years max. Even a 2 year old's needs are completely different than a babies. That being said, here's my advice.

Crib--get whatever crib you like, just don't spend a lot of money on it (unless of course you have extra cash). The dark one you picked is very pretty. I'm 5'4" and I found that it was a pain to use the drop down sides. It seemed like I rocked the baby to he was almost asleep then I'd go in his room. I couldn't get the sides down with baby in my arms (mine would take both hands or else it made too much noise)...so I learned to just gently plop him in the crib. When he was really little I used a sturdy step stool. The drop down could work if you remember to put it down and leave it down when you get baby out of the crib. I guess I was just too tired and too busy to be that coordinated.

Dressers--I honestly found dressers to be a real pain. The high boy style has to be bolted to the wall to be safe. My toddler liked to open the drawers and hang on them and eventually climb them....if it weren't bolted it would fall on top of him. I found keeping kids clothes much easier in bins set on open shelving (in the closet or in the room). As they get older it is much easier to get clothes put away properly if you have individual bins that are labeled (first with pictures, then with words--tee shirts, pants, underwear, socks etc.). Drawers seem to just become chaos.

Changing table--I'm ambivilant on this one. I had a lower dresser and bought a changing table pad for this and it worked just fine. Looking back, the cheap, open shelving kind from Target probably would have been better. Realistically though, I changed most diapers with my kid laying on a blanket on the floor. Once they start to move around it's just safer.

Bedding--you don't really need a comforter. In fact, you can't even put it in the crib when your baby is small anyway. It can be used as a throw. You really just need lots of fitted sheets so you can change the crib after accidents.

Remember to prepare for the onslaught of toys. Baby/toddler toys are BIG. They take a lot of space. Plan ahead so that your nursery (or family room) doesn't start looking like a warehouse for Toys R Us. Think of what you are going to do with the hundreds of stuffed animals that will no doubt accumulate.

I honestly found IKEA to have some of the best suggestions on how to deal with baby/kids rooms.

I know my suggestions are different than most new mom's think when they are dreaming up that "perfect nursery" so please don't be offended.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Island, I am not offended at all! Trust me it takes a lot more than that! Your advice is very good. I understand everything you are saying. I guess one of the reasons I liked this furniture is it doesn''t look like baby furniture. I do agree that getting some sort of storage with larger bins would be ideal for our family room (since I think that is where the majority of the baby''s play time will be. I wish we had an IKEA closer. Maybe I can convince my SIL to taking a road trip to Alanta with me
27.gif
I also agree with the comforter but the bedding comes as a set and it can be used to play on, or for me while I am nursing, or with the toddler bed....I think I am sold on a cheapy changing table for upstairs and I will probably just use the pack ''n play downstairs. The nice thing about the cheap ones is they look light and we are going to have the baby in our bedroom for the first few months. Seems like it will be easy to move around.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Tacori--I forgot to add that I took the chests out of my kid's room once he started hanging on them. The lower chest currently resides in my living room and is filled with candles and table linens. I gave away the higher once because I didn't like the risk of it falling over even when I placed it in a different room. Definitely get furniture that you could use in another room. Your choice looks like it could be used a lot of places.

IKEA will send you a free catalog. I don't live anywhere close to one either (about 3 hours away). Even just looking at the catalog will give you ideas. You can usually find stuff that will work at other stores. But if you see stuff you really like, you can plan ahead and make sure they have it in stock. It's better to go to IKEA with a list anyway or else stuff just seems to jump into your shopping bag.

If I were to have another kid, I would do things so differently the 2nd time around. People would be shocked because I don't even think I'd buy a crib. I'd just use a pack & play and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results