shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so FI and I aren''t planning on having kids any time soon, but every now and then we start talking about what we''ll name our kids when we do have them (The fact that he likes to talk about this and will even bring it up on his own makes me love him even more
30.gif
).

We''ve never been able to agree on a name for a boy, but then last night we came up with an idea that I love and I''m so excited about it that I wanted to share. Definitely don''t want to say anything to our parents as I''m sure that will start the "so, when can we expect grandkids" talk. Anyway, FI is a JR and always said that he didn''t want to name his son after himself and his dad because it would be too confusing. I wouldn''t want to call the baby by its middle name since his middle name is similiar to my first name. So, we were thinking we could call him Trey since FI''s initials are TRE. It''s so perfect! Trey even means third born or three which is what he would be, the third born with his name! FI likes it, though he doesn''t seem as excited about it as I am.

Anyone else thinking about baby names?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I aren''t even sure if we''ll have children but I still toy with the idea of names on occasion, just because it''s fun. If we don''t have children and my sister has another I''ll have suggestions for her! We have an 18 month rule: No talk of major changes, including children, so I don''t really discuss it with him.

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
I definetly want to name my baby after his, I like his name and he loves the idea.. if it''s a girl I don''t know yet..

Katiemarie

Rough_Rock
thats cute and creative!

Yes we have been talking about baby names even before we talked about getting married i think! haha.

For girls we have Cecelia Grace (no meaning, just like the name) and Eliane ___ unsure on middle name. i''m also not crazy about the spelling of Eliane, but i''m not sure how else i would spell it. Its pronounced el-e-on-e, my future in laws foster kids therapist is named that and i''m crazy about the name its cute.

For boys we have James (Jimmy) David, my brother whos one of my best friends is David and James is a name i''ve alwasy loved and happens to be future grandfather in laws name. We don''t agree on any other boys names :)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Baby names are so fun! My husband likes to look them up on Gaelic baby name finders, haha. We want one to have a Gaelic name since he''s of scotch-irish descent, and maybe an arabic name for another one because I''m Jordanian... But it''s so fun to look!

Marisa

Erin

Ideal_Rock
He''s an Elvis fan so instead of thinking for a boy Elvis we thought for a girl Presley

The tradition in my family is for the first born female to take her mother''s first name as her middle, so I have to find a girls name that doesn''t end in a vowel sound because my first name does

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
We always have tons of girls names, but rarely boys names. But for girls I like Piper Ora (after my g-ma), and Dannan Lily (pronounced like the yogurt). As for a boy name, Donald (which I hate, but he''ll be Donnie) after my late uncle who passed away when he was 18 in the 50s and also my g-pa. The middle name will be Pete after my Fi''s late father.
1.gif
I love having names with meanings behind them.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I like everyone's ideas! Starset, I really like Presley for a girl. For a girl we're thinking Hailey Beth.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
We''ve been talking about them for years and we aren''t even sure we want kids. The name I''ve been holding onto forever, that I MUST use, is Julia. I just love it. My mom''s name is Julie, so it''s kind of in honor of her, but I also just like the way it flows and it would go well with his last name. He''s sort of indifferent on that one. His top girl name is Natalie. I thought it was because he has a crush on Natalie Portman, but he says no, that he just likes the name.

We''re not able to agree on a boy''s name. I like Jacob, he says NO but won''t suggest an alternative. If we have kids, we better have 2 girls!

We adopted a cat together a couple of years ago and it took a few days to name him. I would throw a name out and he would veto, he would throw one out and I would veto. Eventually we decided on Bill. Bill the Cat. Because he drools when he''s happy and coughs a lot. Who knows what we''d end up with if we used that logic on a kid!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2006 12:18:33 PM
Author: Katiemarie

...and Eliane ___ unsure on middle name. i''m also not crazy about the spelling of Eliane, but i''m not sure how else i would spell it. Its pronounced el-e-on-e...

There is a girl in my daughter''s preschool with that name - hers is spelled Alyanna, I believe...

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2006 2:25:41 PM
Author: sumbride
We''ve been talking about them for years and we aren''t even sure we want kids. The name I''ve been holding onto forever, that I MUST use, is Julia. I just love it. My mom''s name is Julie, so it''s kind of in honor of her, but I also just like the way it flows and it would go well with his last name. He''s sort of indifferent on that one. His top girl name is Natalie. I thought it was because he has a crush on Natalie Portman, but he says no, that he just likes the name.

We''re not able to agree on a boy''s name. I like Jacob, he says NO but won''t suggest an alternative. If we have kids, we better have 2 girls!

We adopted a cat together a couple of years ago and it took a few days to name him. I would throw a name out and he would veto, he would throw one out and I would veto. Eventually we decided on Bill. Bill the Cat. Because he drools when he''s happy and coughs a lot. Who knows what we''d end up with if we used that logic on a kid!
I''m cracking up over this. My last boss was named Bill. He definitely didn''t drool or cough a lot, but i''m imagining that he did now and it''s funny.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Great timing for this discussion. I''m actually pregnant right now and DH and I haven''t even started giving any thought to names! We''ve also decided to not find out the gender in advance so we''ll have to have names for a boy and a girl. It''s not easy. At least I have 6 more months to figure it out but I like hearing everyone''s picks!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2006 2:58:44 PM
Author: curlygirl
Great timing for this discussion. I''m actually pregnant right now and DH and I haven''t even started giving any thought to names! We''ve also decided to not find out the gender in advance so we''ll have to have names for a boy and a girl. It''s not easy. At least I have 6 more months to figure it out but I like hearing everyone''s picks!
My parents didn''t know if I was a boy or girl either so they had two names picked out Robin Kimberly and Michael Benjamin. They never had a boy, so they never got to use that one.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Robbie - it just occurred to me that you may be too young to get the reference! ACK! Here''s Bill the Cat from Bloom County

stressed.gif

and my Bill looking much more proper:

119922346_1af81e1fa5_m.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS CURLYGIRL!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
My parents did that too, but the part that''s funny to me is that they didn''t use my (older) brother''s if-he-was-a-girl name on me but picked out a totally new girl name!

We have tentative names picked out, but I have like 6 of each gender so whenever I talk about them he thinks I mean I want like 12 children, but I just want to have options!! But we have top picks for each too. But I''m too superstitious to share them with you guys now.
5.gif

And I have a friend named Ileana (ill-ay-ah-nah) which I think is the prettiest thing ever, and a nice looking spelling of a name that sounds like the one you (KatieMarie) were talking about!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2006 3:11:52 PM
Author: sumbride

Robbie - it just occurred to me that you may be too young to get the reference! ACK! Here''s Bill the Cat from Bloom County

stressed.gif

and my Bill looking much more proper:

119922346_1af81e1fa5_m.jpg

Haha I definitely didn''t get the reference. Makes much more sense now
1.gif

Forgot to say this in my last post, but Congratulations, CurlyGirl! I can''t wait to start having kids, but at the same time I can lol. I''m totally not ready, but so excited for when I am. In the mean time I''ve got 9 soon-to-be nieces and nephews to play with.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Strm and I had both a girl and a boy name picked out - actually years ago - giggle - but now we won''t be needing them, but you know, that is ok - it was fun to at least know we agreed and liked what each other choose...he picked the girl name and I did the boy name, and we just both liked it and seemed just natural...but who knows, maybe someday we will adopt or have a reason to use the names...so I personally do not see anything wrong with dreaming of the future and picking out names...even if you do not know what your future holds...mine just wasn''t too be, but I will never forget the names as long as I live :}

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun thread and CONGRATS curlygurl! I have 3 boys with names I like (Gabriel Raine, Donovan Skye, Adrian Zane) but my fi is a bit stubborn and insists he wants a girl named "Marie." Not that I have any REAL problem with it, but it just doesn''t jive with my other 3 kids'' names. It''s not like there is any family significance for him, so I''m trying to (slowly) convince him that we need to have a girl with a Hawaiian name (since we are getting married on Maui)
2.gif
I''m also trying to figure out alternate names LIKE Marie (Maribelle?) that would let him still call her marie for short.

Of course, when that time comes, watch us get pg with a boy....
jen

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Donovan Skye.... that is a scrumptious name! That is the only adjective I could think of to describe it... very nice
2.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I love the name Donovan and FI did for a while too, but then changed his mind. It doesn''t really matter though since his cousin told me a few months ago that that''s her boy name and I''m sure she''ll have another kid before we even start, so that name''s out for us. Your kids have great names
1.gif
. I have a little cousin named Zane and I remember when he was born everyone thought it was the strangest name, but I''ve always really liked it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
FH and I have NO trouble picking boy names. Every name I mention, he likes.

Of course, since I want girls (but would be happy with either), we've agreed on exactly one full (first and middle) girl's name. I love so many girl names, and he hates almost every name I suggest. I've actually kept a book and written down his "eh, they're okay" girl names (just in case) so we don't have to go through that struggle again. But yes, we have 1 girl name and about 7 boy names.

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
Aww..thanks Robbie and poptart
9.gif
I spent a LOOOOOOONG time coming up with boy names I liked that were acceptable to ex and that had one "real" name and one less-common type name. Really was trying to stick to the nature thing (w/slight tweaks) -- Adrian was supposed to be "Leif" but I lost out on that one at the last minute and since Zane is a derivative of John (my late father''s name) I was cool with it. Both Gabe and Adrian would have had the same first name if they were girls, feminine version of course.

I agree with EBree -- boy names are better/easier to pick out than girl names. Some of the girl names I have liked over the years have gotten popular and over-used so I don''t like ''em any more. Most recently, Isabelle. (Sigh). Time to start making up words....

2.gif

jen

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yea.... I used to love the name Isabelle, too. And still do, but it is getting to be more common. My favorite girl name is Kiora (pronounce keeora). I think it''s gaelic for little brown one or something like that.

Marisa

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
ooooooh pertty -- I like that! I have a weird thing for 3-syllable names too -- I''m liking a Hawaiian girl name of Leilani, but fi hates it. I like the Gaelic thing too....

So I''m curious everyone, how do we find cool translations of english words to other languaged? Is there a single website that does it all? (ie "beautiful" in french, spanish, chinese, whatever)

jen

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad died at 52 when I was 15. His name was Daniel.

Told my dh that boy or girl we would be doing Daniel or Danielle.

Had a boy so he was Daniel, and to appease his folks we used the middle name Harrison to pay tribute to dh''s beloved grandpa Harry.

Second son, my father in law died the year before. I could not stand him and refused to use his first name for my baby. I like his middle name, Maxwell, so that is my son''s middle name too. (Adam is his first)

Third son, I like Jordan, I had a grandpa John I loved a lot, and then I liked Alexander so that is his name.

Never had to use my girl names.

I LOVE (might not have used but love)

Lily
Anabelle (nickname Belle)
Claire
Olivia
Charlotte (nickname Charley)
Grace
Elizabeth (Liza as a nickname, love it and less common than the other options)
Alexandra
Roxanne (Roxy could be cute as a nickname)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love the name Kira too for some weird reason...

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
I had a bad case of babies on the brain when we first got married and it''s over now (for the time being) but we came up with our baby names:

Grace AnneMarie (just like the name)
Cecelia Elizabeth (middle name after my best friend)
Noah Francis (my great grandfather+DH''s grandfather)
Rogan Stanley (my great grandma''s maiden name+DH''s grandfather)

we''re such nerds...
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My name, which I hated growing up is very popular now too..

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m from America, he is from Australia. The first three letters of America and the last 3 of Australia give us Amelia. I also like the independent spirit, courage and vision of Amelia Earhart.

TGuy has picked the name for a boy: Aaron. Solid, no frills, and not trendy. It works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results