shape
carat
color
clarity

B&M vs Internet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MBA

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

After lurking around here for the past few weeks I figured it was time to join up.

I am going to be proposing in the near future and thus am in search of a diamond and setting. I do not feel comfortable making this large of a purchase over the internet, especially for my first diamond. I have been checking through the prices here to compare against what various B&M stores here in Orlando are quoting me and of course it is cheaper on the internet. My question is, how much more should I expect to pay a B&M. I understand that they have more overhead to cover and therefore require a little more of a premium over the internet stores...but how much more?

Thanks!

Ty

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
every store in every location has different operating costs. you can''t just say ''b&m''s charge x % more than internet'' there are just too many variables.
i hope you find a nice diamond at a fair price! best of luck
35.gif

MBA

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply!

I understand your point, I''ll get all the info on a stone when I find it and bring that back here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

It's very difficult to say an exact figure - it depends on so many criteria. You have to compare apples to apples i.e a 1 carat G VS1 round diamond with a GIA cert and top cut etc, or similarly cut. Maybe the best thing would be to use the Pricescope your Diamond search tool, enter your search criteria and compare those prices to those diamonds which are similar in a B&M store. Of course these stores have higher overheads than online retailers which can make the difference. I would dare to say in some instances a few hundred more easily depending on what you want....

Am I right in thinking Abazias and NiceIce are in Orlando Florida? If so that might be a great compromise to be able to see the diamond first and get the online price.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belle is right. many people have found a stone at a B&M, got as much info on the stone as possible, including the price and then came back to do a search here on an equivelent stone from online vendors. Many online vendors are also B&M''s.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 9:31:05 AM
Author: MBA
Thanks for the quick reply!

I understand your point, I''ll get all the info on a stone when I find it and bring that back here.
you''re welcome
2.gif

looking forward to seeing what you find!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 9:32:56 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome
35.gif

It''s very difficult to say an exact figure - it depends on so many criteria. You have to compare apples to apples i.e a 1 carat G VS1 round diamond with a GIA cert and top cut etc, or similarly cut. Maybe the best thing would be to use the Pricescope your Diamond search tool, enter your search criteria and compare those prices to those diamonds which are similar in a B&M store. Of course these stores have higher overheads than online retailers which can make the difference. I would dare to say in some instances a few hundred more easily depending on what you want....

Am I right in thinking Abazias and NiceIce are in Orlando Florida? If so that might be a great compromise to be able to see the diamond first and get the online price.
If this is the case, then there''s your perfect solution! Get internet prices but see the diamonds in person! I would not pay the mark-up for a typical jeweler. And not only that, they rarely stock the quality of diamonds that these vendors do. I know because I looked locally, too. Ask to see only AGS0 (or maybe AGS1?) and GIA Excellent cut stones.

MBA

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for all the help and advice!!

I just got off the phone w/ Abazias and they are in Gainesville, which is within driving distance. So this is excelent! NiceIce turned out to be in Oregon.

What I liked about the local jeweler was that he is an independent, family owned company and he is an AGS gemologist.

Thanks again!

Ty

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ty, there is nothing wrong with working with a local jeweler. I also like the idea of supporting a local family owned business. I''d just educate yourself as much as possible and many times they will negotiate a bit with you once they know you and informed shopper
2.gif
. A trip to Abazias would be worth it though too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot depends on your negotiating ability.

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Ty, I just, yesterday in fact, made a sizeable purchase at a local B&M that I have dealt with for many years. While I thought that I would make this purchase via internet, there is something to be said with being able to stop in, have your jewelry repaired, polished or inspected, anytime, free of charge.

This B&M is high end and I believe their margin is high also. However, I let them know that I had been getting an education and had been shopping via the net. As a result, I got a lovely stone and ring at a competitive price. Also, they make their own jewelry, so the setting was unique, I fell in love with it and could not find it anywhere else.

With all that said, your decision needs to be based on alot of different factors. Do they have something unusual, will they accomodate you on price, do you need full service for your jewels moving forward.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 10:08:11 AM
Author: MBA
Thank you all so much for all the help and advice!!

I just got off the phone w/ Abazias and they are in Gainesville, which is within driving distance. So this is excelent! NiceIce turned out to be in Oregon.

What I liked about the local jeweler was that he is an independent, family owned company and he is an AGS gemologist.

Thanks again!

Ty
I hate to be negative, but I tried to give our business to local jewelers, but they couldn''t even access many AGS0 stones at all from their wholesalers. They mostly carried premium cut (very good) stones as their top stones, yet the prices on those were ABOVE the prices of the ideal cut stones listed with these vendors. So I just wasn''t willing to overpay for lower quality just because they were nice people. I do try to buy other things from them from time to time. But a diamond is just too important to settle for lower quality and too expensive to overpay significantly.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I live in Orlando also and I visited just about every jewelry store in the whole city (more or less
2.gif
). I can honestly say that there was not 1 place that I felt I wanted to spend a sizable amount of money. Some places had beautiful jewelry but the prices were not competitive or the employees were very uneducated.

I had thought I would buy from Abazias as well but ended up going through a different online vendor. They had the diamond I wanted and I didn''t have to pay tax because they were not located in FL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results