shape
carat
color
clarity

B&M - Black Opal doublet? What?!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay I must share this story. (Warning...this is an extremely long vent)

I visited a nice B&M in my area. Usually have them do simple things like remove stones out it old settings, resize, etc.
I have a 3 carat black opal solid that I nicked so I asked them to remove it from the old setting because in gonna have Sally at HOW reset in a more protective setting to prevent further damage. I also requested the remove my tsav and blue sapphire from current settings.

Of course because I have a few color stones the rep shows the owner ( inguess so they can have a meeting of the minds about removing my stones from setting:roll:) and she then comes over and comments on how beautiful my gems are and mentions the nick. I tell her I'm aware thats why I'm having it reset to a more protective setting. Then she comments how my black opal is a beautiful "DOUBLET". A DOUBLET????? really? I was a tad offended and corrected her. I explained I'm apart of a network of gem and diamond enthusiasts that have a a trusted vendors we use. Then she wants to get into a discussion about vendors using fake diamonds and gemstones and not advising customer so 'you really have to be careful'. Then I stressed again that i have be apart of my network. Over five years now. Which is longer then her business' existance.

I was getting a tad heated because Owner was basically being condescending towards my gem knowledge as a consumer . its like there is no way 'me the consumer' could have more knowledge than her.

Then she examines my ring and earrings and my colored gems...changes the subject to How she has jewelry designers with BS and MS in jewelry design. I advised again my network has proven vendors, jewelry, gemologist, etc. And thats who i use for my settings. Owner then says I should use them for settings.

The fact that she was ignorant to call my black opal a DOUBLET I was so through with her and totally exhausted of the conversation.

So I went home and looked up "DOUBLET" , doubting my knowledge and basically to educate myself again about opals. Thinking: " is that what I have...a doublet?". The vendor on Opal Auctions description stated he only sold solid opals. Thats what i saw from the descriptive photos on the listing and thats what I saw when I recieved it.

Question: why the heck whould I work with a jeweler who minimizes my precious/semi precious gems?

Has any one else had anyhave...a doublet? experiences past or present with B&M's?

-
An Opal doublet is a piece of translucent or semi translucent Opal glued to a dark backing giving the impression it is a full piece of Opal. The dark backing can be ironstone material, potch, plastic or even other materials.
Opal doublets are generally cut to show off the most impressive part of the Opal and with the dark back enhancing the colours it can make for a great looking stone

-

An Opal solid is an Opal that is consists entirely of Opal. There has been no man made clear tops or backing stuck on and there is also no host material throughout the Opal.

Opal-Doublet.jpg 20190814_075107-1.jpg 20190814_075019-1.jpg 20190814_074939-1.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no expert, but it seems to be a doublet. @yssie

In the very least, I see what she is talking about.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? So i got duped by Opal Auctions vendor? It wasnt advertised/descibed as black opal doublet. :confused:
I hope @yssie or @TL or some knowledgeable PSers would chime in.
I absolutely love my black opal. I think the color play is stunning. Its the 1st i've purchased. Just would like to broaden my knowledge.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
It’s not a doublet, the back would be a solid color (gray, black..) and from the side you would be able to see a clear delineation just like the example drawing.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@EC8 thank you for your response.

I took additional photos of back and sides od opal for review. Also I suppose when I send it to Sally she will also have true assessment cause she will have it in hand.

20190814_092103_HDR-1.jpg 20190814_092110_HDR-1.jpg 20190814_091715_HDR-1.jpg 20190814_092028_HDR-1.jpg 20190814_092136_HDR-1.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I don’t see the line where the doublet part is supposed to be stuck together? :confused: So I would think it’s not a doublet too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an opal expert, but from your photos, that looks like a solid opal to me, not a doublet. I see some dark potch on the back, but it’s not a solid piece covering the entire back of the stone as a doublet would. Therefore, I suspect this confused your jeweler, who probably is not that familiar with opals, hence the doublet comment. I also see no distinct lines of demarcation between the opal and what would be a backing, as in a doublet. I think the jeweler is just misinformed about opals, as many jewelers are about most gems outside of white diamonds.

Another confusing issue is that the stone appears to only be polished on one side, which may have also confused your jeweler. You could send it out to be polished on all sides to expose more of the color play along the edges.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1881F859-9A73-4B13-BB54-90DA42627229.jpeg
This is the clear line of demarcation in a doublet. Some are a bit less obvious than this example.
I wouldn’t bet on it, but I doubt there’s a huge amount of material on the market with someone producing doublets to look like believable potch on the back.
I don’t think yours is a doublet.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an opal expert, but from your photos, that looks like a solid opal to me, not a doublet. I see some dark potch on the back, but it’s not a solid piece covering the entire back of the stone as a doublet would. Therefore, I suspect this confused your jeweler, who probably is not that familiar with opals, hence the doublet comment. I also see no distinct lines of demarcation between the opal and what would be a backing, as in a doublet. I think the jeweler is just misinformed about opals, as many jewelers are about most gems outside of white diamonds.

Another confusing issue is that the stone appears to only be polished on one side, which may have also confused your jeweler. You could send it out to be polished on all sides to expose more of the color play along the edges.

Owner of B&M could not believe I purchased directly from gemologist. She couldnt fathom my knowledge exceeding hers.

Polishing it could be considered. I wonder if the nick could be polished out?
20190814_074907.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on my iPhone and was in an office, so maybe what I am seeing is what others are calling not polished.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1881F859-9A73-4B13-BB54-90DA42627229.jpeg
This is the clear line of demarcation in a doublet. Some are a bit less obvious than this example.
I wouldn’t bet on it, but I doubt there’s a huge amount of material on the market with someone producing doublets to look like believable potch on the back.
I don’t think yours is a doublet.

I also thought doublet had defined/obvious demarcation which I dont see on mine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it might be polished out. I would consult with a lapidary if that’s something that you’re considering. It’s a lovely stone, but a full polish I think would bring out some more colorplay.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on my iPhone and was in an office, so maybe what I am seeing is what others are calling not polished.

Okay. I get how B&M could misinterpret as well. But she had it in hand she wasn't looking at a photo.:|

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't look like a doublet to me either :)) If it is it's very well done - to the point where I can imagine neither how it was done nor why anyone might spend that much time and effort on any opal doublet!

Don't worry, someone thought my blacks were doublets too. And I had the same Wait WTF?! initial reaction. If it's nagging you... IMO for a beloved stone an appraisal or a GIA report for authoritative confirmation can be such a relief, well worth the expense! FWIW I don't trust the parent OpalAuctions entity one bit, it's basically eBayForOpals, but there are definitely lots of reputable vendors on there ::)

Last edited:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it might be polished out. I would consult with a lapidary if that’s something that you’re considering. It’s a lovely stone, but a full polish I think would bring out some more colorplay.

Thanks @TL, I will contact gemartservices.

More color play would be even awesomer (not a word. Used for purposes of excitement only:)))!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re going to hide the sides in a halo, or a heavy gallery, then it’s fine as it, but I’m of the opinion that all sides of an opal should be polished. It just seems more finished to me, and allows you to explore more jewelry designs. Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say get an expert opinion before committing to a polish - there might be some reason polishing the back could lighten body colour or reduce face-up brightness or have some other NonAwesomeEffect.

Calling @jordyonbass for opal expertise!! :kiss2:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies!!!

Prefer to steer away from 'less awesome effect'. @TL The design Sally and I come up with will be protective possible bezel with halo so I will probably forfeit the polish. It was prong set when I nicked it on door and wasnt set tightly as I could hear it move in the setting a little.

I may send to GIA though only cost $70 for evaluation. Great tip @yssie;)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm almost 100% sure it's not a doublet. It's just that the back wasn't polished (they often aren't). The store owner is foolish and trying to make you doubt yourself so you'll work with them. It's happened to me a million times and I just smile and nod and ignore them.

I have doublets and love them, but obviously they are cheaper than solid opal. You have solid opal.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher and @stracci2000 I definitely see the difference with the two doublet illustration photos you provided. Thank you so much. I do have peace of mind.
Boy that B&M had me going:eek2::wall:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher and @stracci2000 I definitely see the difference with the two doublet illustration photos you provided. Thank you so much. I do have peace of mind.
Boy that B&M had me going:eek2::wall:
This is why I let things they say go in one ear and out the other. I have heard so many hilarious things at B&M. like how all excellent cut diamonds are the same, there's no such thing as anything better than GIA XXX, etc. Just nonsense.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm almost 100% sure it's not a doublet. It's just that the back wasn't polished (they often aren't). The store owner is foolish and trying to make you doubt yourself so you'll work with them. It's happened to me a million times and I just smile and nod and ignore them.

I have doublets and love them, but obviously they are cheaper than solid opal. You have solid opal.

I love this "smile and knod and ignore" :lol:.
I will just continue to use them for resizing ONLY.:))

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Solid Opal for sure!

The photo showing the back made this most obvious. It's a sure indicator that the stone is solid when you see some of the same colour play showing on the back as the front.

And I always polish stones double-sided when I get the opportunity, two stones for the price of one. Some crystal opal can go washed out with a double sided polish, however that can be alleviated by buying a stone with brightness and high colour saturation. Black Opal doesn't have this issue as it is generally opaque and the natural black potch helps the colour stand out better.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Solid Opal for sure!

The photo showing the back made this most obvious. It's a sure indicator that the stone is solid when you see some of the same colour play showing on the back as the front.

And I always polish stones double-sided when I get the opportunity, two stones for the price of one. Some crystal opal can go washed out with a double sided polish, however that can be alleviated by buying a stone with brightness and high colour saturation. Black Opal doesn't have this issue as it is generally opaque and the natural black potch helps the colour stand out better.

Thank you @jordyonbass!!!

I love my Pricescope buddies! I'm so fortunate to part of this family of gem wisdom and knowledge!!!

I appreciate everyones thoughts and thank you for taking the time to share!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@ZestfullyBling you are most welcome :wavey:

Also FWIW, I recently cut a stone that is 100% solid but anyone who looks at it swears it is a doublet. It had the colour bar form perfectly on black potch and I kept the potch on the back as this darkens the stone and improves colour, but the formation between the two natural layers is so perfect it looks like the edge on a doublet. So while we can check edges for that seam, it is important to remember that the seam can also be there naturally on a solid stone too sometimes.

I'm actually thinking about pulling it from my inventory as I feel like this one is going to cause me some problems just because of what it looks like on the edges :saint:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I don't think it's a doublet either. Don't let B&M sales people get under your skin - they often know very little and perhaps they was offended you were only using them to un-set the stones whilst openly discussing going elsewhere to re-set them... :think:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Err I imagine that having consumers who are educated and are able to source their own gems is a bit unusual and also a bit intimidating on first encounter. Their is always some weird undertoe of people thinking jewelers are overly avericious middle men who mark merchandise up massively. She may have just been unsure about what your views were and a bit perturbed by you effectively cutting them out of the transaction and just reacted poorly/weirdly defensively.

Also I can imagine most of the cases they see of people picking stuff up themselves are nightmare cases anyway, because lets face it most of what is sold online is heavily treated and not so good so if you sampled uneducatedly then your default scenario will be pretty awful. So she may have just reacted badly and it may be worth giving her a second chance. Otherwise in the other scenario she is a jerk who you should definitely ignore.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way it's doublet since there's colourplay on the flat underside and also where the darker suspected side is. A doublet bottom will not show any colourplay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results