shape
carat
color
clarity

Awkward earring design?

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
D64BDAAC-DD81-4993-9D44-1E3493CC0DC0.jpeg
I chose these earrings for my birthday 13 years ago. We have a more casual lifestyle so they only tend to be worn to weddings. I feel like there is something off about the design so I have them listed on LoupeTroop but no interest as of yet. A friend suggested detaching the top cluster and making them into 2 pairs of earrings. Sell, keep as is or repurpose? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I think she's right if you want 2 pairs of earrings - detach top for studs, and bottom for dangles - but will you wear them? The studs I'd wear, but likely not the dangles, but you aren't me.

You could make an interesting ring with the dangly parts. Myself, as I wear a lot of studs, I'd make 3 or 4 pairs of studs. Also I can see an interesting 60's cluster stud made from the stones in the dangles, but maybe that's too dress up for your lifestyle. It is for mine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i too see huge potential in making them into studs and dangles like Begonia suggested
I'd hold of selling them for a wee momnet till you have time to visualize what you might have here

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
For very little cost, you could have them detached and hung on wires. If you aren't concerned, come over, I'll cut them off and hang them on silver French hooks. I'm a beader.

I’m leaning towards detaching but would hope to have a post put on. I have large earlobes so I want to have some coverage if possible. I think the detached dangle being smaller will look less fancy. I think the cluster just doesn’t go aesthetically with the dangle. Maybe if it had been a single stone it would have a better flow.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I think the top clusters would make lovely studs, and the rest a more wearable dangle. I actually like the look of both pairs separately, better than the whole.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would convert the earrings into two pairs, the flower clusters as one pair, and the dangles as a second pair with French hooks.

DK :))

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I’m leaning towards detaching but would hope to have a post put on. I have large earlobes so I want to have some coverage if possible. I think the detached dangle being smaller will look less fancy. I think the cluster just doesn’t go aesthetically with the dangle. Maybe if it had been a single stone it would have a better flow.

Do any of the portions of the dangle part articulate?

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Do any of the portions of the dangle part articulate?

Yes, that’s why the one looks crooked in the photo. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks the design is off. I’ve seen that quite often with earrings. More is not always better. I think the dangle by itself will look pretty but not too much. I have a ring with a FY and halo so they will complement each other nicely.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would need to see them on but I will be the dissenter. Spouse loves danglies -- I see nothing awkward about them. They are a range of design elements and diamond cuts but I would need to see them in action. =)2

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that’s why the one looks crooked in the photo. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks the design is off. I’ve seen that quite often with earrings. More is not always better. I think the dangle by itself will look pretty but not too much. I have a ring with a FY and halo so they will complement each other nicely.

So, if the marquise articulates, then I think you could put a post on the back of the marquise, as you prefer- either in the middle, or the top point, depending on where that would make them lay on your earlobe.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would need to see them on but I will be the dissenter. Spouse loves danglies -- I see nothing awkward about them. They are a range of design elements and diamond cuts but I would need to see them in action. =)2

Aww. I thought I was going to be the first dissenter! I think they’re perfectly fine - and beautiful - as they are, but I always prefer more ornate designs. I’m so bored of simple unimaginative jewellery being everywhere.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I rarely go anywhere "dressy" anymore, so if these beauties were mine, I'd use the clusters as studs, then have a simple, slightly long loop on top of the marquise so that the dangle parts could be worn on a shepherd's hook, or used with studs. Thinking that pearl studs with the dangly parts would be lovely! Plus, if you had a hankering, you could then use the dangly parts with the original cluster studs, too.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
EFA97343-04B9-40DC-9977-3075E5F70E54.jpeg
Here it is!
So talking through this is like therapy! It may be that the earrings themselves are not the problem. Maybe I’m the problem! And by problem meaning that I’d prefer simple designs and they were just not right for me in the first place. I am very tall and I have a lot of hair so I think dainty or intricate designs don’t suit me. I have a pair of 4ct hoops and have been thinking about getting jackets for my studs for nicer occasions.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Oh they look lovely on your ears! They actually look so much more proportional and well balanced when you see them worn. I wouldn’t actually dismember these - although you say you prefer simpler styles I think these really suit you.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like them as is and I think they look fabulous on you but you are the one that has to like them. If they are not for you then they are not for you, lol.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here it is!
So talking through this is like therapy! It may be that the earrings themselves are not the problem. Maybe I’m the problem! And by problem meaning that I’d prefer simple designs and they were just not right for me in the first place. I am very tall and I have a lot of hair so I think dainty or intricate designs don’t suit me. I have a pair of 4ct hoops and have been thinking about getting jackets for my studs for nicer occasions.

But they look so beautiful on you!! Absolutely perfect proportions! You could totally swing them as ‘a trip to the supermarket earrings’ *as well as* date night earrings.

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
Here it is!

I see what you mean -- while the earrings are very pretty, they look too dainty wiith your lovely long hair and especially if you are used to 4ct hoops.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
While I can see how these could be worn with dressy or casual styles, I can also see how they would not be worn by everyone. This is a style that one likes & wears or one simply doesn't. I don't think altering them will make the earrings more appealing to you.

You did choose them for yourself so there was something that appealed to you at one point. Do you still see what appealed to you at that time? Things can/do change over the years so maybe you're just over them now.

Wow, that was a really longwinded way to say that only you will know how you feel about them and, thus, know what to do. (HTH, best wishes to you with whatever you decide.)

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I think it comes down to they aren’t being worn as is. We don’t have a lot of dressy events to go to and I think I would wear the 2 separate pairs more often. At 40, I clearly thought I was going to have a more exciting social life!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it comes down to they aren’t being worn as is. We don’t have a lot of dressy events to go to and I think I would wear the 2 separate pairs more often. At 40, I clearly thought I was going to have a more exciting social life!
How about trying to find a way to rework the earrings so that they could be worn separately as a pair of studs and a pair of drops, as well as being able to be reunited to be worn together for dressier occasions?

For example, for a slight bigger jump ring to be soldered on top of the dangling section, so that it could go through the post of the stud or a French wire with a stopper or a simple plain small hoop/huggie?

DK :))

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you post the link to the LT listing here? I might be interested :D

jenzgemz

Rough_Rock

Love the idea of repurposing into two sets of earrings. If you just don't wear them, do what makes you happiest! They are very pretty but I can see where they are a little fancy for everyday wear.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I forget how to share a link and I'm running out the door. There is already a thread on these in the Preloved forum! Posted Mid October.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results