shape
carat
color
clarity

AVR or AVC?

Smkq117

Rough_Rock
hi everyone! Longtime lurker. Finally can post, now that we are officially looking! We already know we're going to be working with Jonathan for an August Vintage cut. I'm so excited I'll get to own one of those soon :D our budget is $6,000-$7000 (give or take... if I get this new job I'm interviewing for we will have more to play around with, fingers crossed, could go up to 9,000 if I do!)

I've seen AVCs on the James Allen site and love them. BF wants me to get an AVR and since I'm calling all the other shots and essentially ruining his surprise as far as the ring goes, I think I will go for the AVR.

I'm curious how they compare... price wise are they about the same per size as an AVC? I'd be willing to go down to J color in an AVR to get a sizeable diamond. I'm only a size 4, so even 1.3 looks large on my hand.

Best settings for these beautiful cuts? Likely going with a solitaire, but possibly a halo just around the center stone (I'm too hard with my hands to handle band melee right now... two kids, always have my hands in water, would just be bad news).

Spread of AVR vs AVC?

I see a bunch of AVRs will be coming soon to Jonathan's site so I'm stalking it!! But any feedback on comparisons between the two cuts would be helpful - I've looked at the boards on here and they've been most helpful.

Thank you! :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might find 10000 testimonies on this forum, that near-colourless or obviously not colourless diamonds are cherished in old school cushion brilliants in particular ... J is stark white in this context.

Spread ... might favor AVR, but the deeper AVC with an even higher crown has presence otherwise. I'd say this needs to be fealt in the real world, not this 2D land.

2c

Jonathan might not be happy with my mentioning that there is at least one more breed of OEC & two of OMC around here - all in the same technical taste. There is never too much in stock anywhere, sure enough.

These are something else, slightly different & so old school they are very new: Peruzzi - WWW & Peruzzi - WWW.

Smkq117

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that info!! I'd consider a K color too... it's my long awaited engagement ring, so I'm hoping to keep "near" colorless (which in a good cut old cut round I am seeing K appears mostly white which is fine for me). In the future I want something as dark as a Q if I can get more brown undertones than yellow, but that's an anniversary request for down the road :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am one of the few people here who has both an AVR and AVC! I have an AVR for my main e-ring and a smaller AVC in a halo ring which is more dressy and I just wear on occasion. They are both beautiful and I cannot really tell you one over the other. I will tell you that I color is my favored color in the AVR. It's not too white but white enough to look bright. My AVC is on the other end of the spectrum..Y-Z light yellow! I think AVCs look better in low colors than AVRs do. So I guess if you eventually want both, I'd recommend the higher color for the AVR e-ring and a lower color for the AVC. If you only wanted one, then I'd go with an I-J in either one for a main engagement ring.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the future I want something as dark as a Q if I can get more brown undertones than yellow

Interesting objective !

Perhaps by then, more beautifully cut PQRST...Z will be around too ...

Smkq117

Rough_Rock
Q will be my last intitial so it has to happen :D I've been waiting tooooo long. Two kids later, it's time! Finally :D

Smkq117

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that info DiamondSeeker! I too like I-J colors from what I've seen. I'd like a rose gold setting too, I didn't mention that. I also actually like fluorescence (which makes me a weirdo probably).. my sister has strong blue in her ring and the blue hue it turns in the sun is gorgeous to me. So if he does ever have a J or K with that, I'd sweep it up in a second I think.

I've decided I like the brownish undertones in lower colored diamonds versus the yellow from what I have seen on here... mostly bc I love rose gold and will probably end up with 2 rose gold rings eventually when we can swing getting an AVC

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to tell you that I used to think that about brown undertone, but I have hated it in the two stones I have seen. First was a J AVR. It made the stone look dingy, not light brown. Then the other was an M AVR. Jon had (and probably still has) and M with yellow and one with brown undertone. The brown was kind of golden brown and I returned it. The other has the light yellow and is a much brighter stone. You really have to get to the end of the alphabet or fancy light brown to get a good color light brown. Right now I have an O AVR and it has a beautiful very light yellow undertone. Still very bright. It's going to be unlikely to find one with brown undertone just due to the negative aspects..harder to sell them.

Rose gold will be beautiful with an AV stone. I may set my O AVR with a rose gold edge around it and the rest platinum.

I highly recommend Caysie van Bebber for antique style settings. She stays very busy, so you need to allow 10-12 weeks for the process.

Smkq117

Rough_Rock
I am going to tell you that I used to think that about brown undertone, but I have hated it in the two stones I have seen. First was a J AVR. It made the stone look dingy, not light brown. Then the other was an M AVR. Jon had (and probably still has) and M with yellow and one with brown undertone. The brown was kind of golden brown and I returned it. The other has the light yellow and is a much brighter stone. You really have to get to the end of the alphabet or fancy light brown to get a good color light brown. Right now I have an O AVR and it has a beautiful very light yellow undertone. Still very bright. It's going to be unlikely to find one with brown undertone just due to the negative aspects..harder to sell them.

Rose gold will be beautiful with an AV stone. I may set my O AVR with a rose gold edge around it and the rest platinum.

I highly recommend Caysie van Bebber for antique style settings. She stays very busy, so you need to allow 10-12 weeks for the process.

Wow thank you for all of that information!! I didn't know that about brown vs yellow!! I do plan to set the Q AVC in rose gold when the time comes. I've always loved rose gold - far before it became popular again. It's so classic.

I will check out Caysie for settings! :)

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was set on an AVC but then I tried on both and found out that round diamonds just look better on my fingers. Ultimately I ended up with a MRB but I was seriously considering an AVR for quite some time

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are absolutely stunning in every way (biased here!) :roll2:. Have you tried on a cushion shaped diamond and a round shaped diamond on your hand? I would possibly choose by which shape you prefer on your hand. Some people are surprised at how opinionated they are about the shape of the stone once worn on the finger. But really if it's your goal to have both, then I would wait to see what Jonathan gets in AVR wise and decide based on what's available between the AVR and AVC inventory when you're ready to buy!

I can't wait to see what you choose, you must come back and show it off :P2!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've decided I like the brownish undertones in lower colored diamonds

I'd say that the amount of brown that gives out an ilusion of pink is very light (J ?) ... Further, the browns that look convincingly pink are certainly recognized & credentialed:

GIA 'Faint Pinkish-Brown' (versus 'Fancy Light')

2C

Last edited:

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I have a CER (Canera's version of the AVR) and an AVC. Both J's. Both look perfectly white to me. I preferred the spread of the CER for my ER and have the AVC in a pendant. Although I do admit that sometimes I like to put the pendant on my finger and consider converting it to a ring. I looked at a K CER and there was a definite tint when viewed from the side. Looked creamy when viewed upright. Still pretty, but not for me for an ER.

Good luck and Congrats!

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
The cut is a personal preference. I like chunky cuts - my first ering was an EC, and I now have a 3 stone AVR. However, I am not as big a fan of the cross pattern in the AVC. I prefer the flower pattern of the AVR. I've never been a MRB person for a ring (too "splintered" of a look for me). But, I sure do love them as studs!
I guess my point is, if you haven't seen many diamonds up close before, you may consider taking a trip to a good B&M with a selection of cuts to understand the shapes and flash/sparkle you prefer. This may help you decide on AVR vs AVC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results