shape
carat
color
clarity

AVR Moissy or lab diamond??

jjdear

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I have been wanting a floating solitaire necklace pendant for daily wear for some time now... I was aiming for a 7mm stone on a yellow gold chain. With my limited funds (trying to keep project under 2K), a natural diamond is out of the question. I was going to go with an August vintage round moissanite but now I'm wondering if I should save and stretch my budget for one of the AVR diamonds. I think I would have to go down in size (closer to 6mm) but I'm wondering if I should just stick with a moissy. I've been watching lots of videos but just can't decide and would appreciate any input.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both.
moissanite is different to diamond in terms of its dispersion, it’s higher than diamond so more rainbow sparkles.
i love this trait of Moissanite but some find it “fake”. Prices for Moissanite have settled as the patent expired and many vendors (including in China and India) now produce the gemstone.
a lab diamond is a new thing. Prices are still high. The problem is that price/ value might plummet once production costs are reduced over time.
this doesn’t matter if you don’t ever intend to sell but buying a lab diamond now and reselling in 5 to 10 years might result in a considerable loss of value.

jjdear

Rough_Rock
I have both.
moissanite is different to diamond in terms of its dispersion, it’s higher than diamond so more rainbow sparkles.
i love this trait of Moissanite but some find it “fake”. Prices for Moissanite have settled as the patent expired and many vendors (including in China and India) now produce the gemstone.
a lab diamond is a new thing. Prices are still high. The problem is that price/ value might plummet once production costs are reduced over time.
this doesn’t matter if you don’t ever intend to sell but buying a lab diamond now and reselling in 5 to 10 years might result in a considerable loss of value.

Thanks for your input! Definitely resell value is something to consider since I can't say for certain what I'd do in the future... I think I am leaning towards the moissanite right now as I do personally like fire, though I haven't really seen one in person so that is my main hesitation.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
If you haven't seen one yet I would either find a local jeweller who carries some or order one with a decent return policy so you can have a look. I looked at my local jeweller and liked it as long as it wasn't in a size beyond about 1.5 carats. After that there was just something about it I didn't like. But there are some who do not like it at all so you want to make sure that you don't fall into the latter group!

jjdear

Rough_Rock
If you haven't seen one yet I would either find a local jeweller who carries some or order one with a decent return policy so you can have a look. I looked at my local jeweller and liked it as long as it wasn't in a size beyond about 1.5 carats. After that there was just something about it I didn't like. But there are some who do not like it at all so you want to make sure that you don't fall into the latter group!

Good point. I can be so impulsive but would definitely be good to check one out before committing.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes for sure. Keep in mind the local jewellers won't be August Vintage if you go that route to check it out but it should be a decent indicator about what you think about moissanite in general. I hope you like it. It can be quite pretty :)

jjdear

Rough_Rock
Yes for sure. Keep in mind the local jewellers won't be August Vintage if you go that route to check it out but it should be a decent indicator about what you think about moissanite in general. I hope you like it. It can be quite pretty :)

I will definitely keep that in mind. :)

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I resold my avr moissanite as it looked "fake" to me. But I'm a very ocd type of person and a normal passerby wouldn't notice.

Another point is that you won't even see it around your neck so maybe the cheaper option is more economical?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a 3 ct moissanite from India on ebay for $134 and set it in a ring and its spectacular. No one has questioned what it is. I just bought a .50 lab diamond for $400 and I’m waiting on it. If you go cheap moissy it won’t matter resale.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I have been wanting a floating solitaire necklace pendant for daily wear for some time now... I was aiming for a 7mm stone on a yellow gold chain. With my limited funds (trying to keep project under 2K), a natural diamond is out of the question. I was going to go with an August vintage round moissanite but now I'm wondering if I should save and stretch my budget for one of the AVR diamonds. I think I would have to go down in size (closer to 6mm) but I'm wondering if I should just stick with a moissy. I've been watching lots of videos but just can't decide and would appreciate any input.

Personally I would not be happy with the diamond simulant, especially a pricey one from AV. I would choose the lab made diamond. If you do decide to go with a moissanite, I would choose a much cheaper brand option. Then in the future you could also change the sim out if you so chose, without much of a loss.

Last edited:

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I have to put my vote in :). I recently purchased an AV 8.5mm H&A stone and I absolutely love it. No, it isn't a diamond, but I didn't want to spend that much money. In the future, (maybe), I might replace the AV 8.5mm moissanite with a lab diamond, as they're going down in price, but compared to my diamonds, (I have 2 cttw stud earrings), I much prefer the AV H&A.

How you mount the stone, I think, makes a difference. If you want for it to pass as a diamond, I would ask Jonathan for suggestions--he would know what mounting would be best to reduce the double refraction of the moissanite and get the most diamond-like look.

I put my stone in a six-prong claw Stuller mounting and I think that reduced some of the double refraction that moissanites have.

The cutting of the AV H&A stones in the larger sizes, for me, is different from the other brands of moissanite--far less "splintery" of a look, if that makes sense.

Also, if I ever do change out my moissanite stone, I will be asking Jonathan for one of his lab diamonds.

You can probably tell that I had great customer service with August Vintage, and yes, I bought two more of his 6.5mm H&As for stud earrings. I never wear my diamond studs anymore (lol).

Hopefully you can see in person comparisons, and then get what YOU want :).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results