shape
carat
color
clarity

AV/Heritage OEC (lab grown) setting & other questions

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

Long time lurker and admirer of shiny things! My boyfriend is reaching out to Jonathan of Distinctive Gem sometime over the next month or so, with plans to propose sometime soon-ish (I don't know when, exactly, but it's within the next 6 months). He knows I want a lab grown august vintage OEC (now Heritage), and he asked me to reach out to Jonathan with some ideas for settings that I like.

Ultimately, he will choose the final setting, and Jonathan's bench will create it, so I gave a solitaire idea (similar to this one, https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...llier-cathedral-solitaire-ring-platinum_41263) and a round halo idea I like (plain shank, minimal metal, 1.1-1.2mm melee, similar to some of the ones at Brilliantly Engaged)

I am curious if anyone here has opinions on which settings look best with the AV/Heritage OECs.

I am also curious the spread of different carat weights in the AV OEC cut - For example, compared to a MRB, how does a 1.5ct AV OEC face up? Is it more like a 1.3ct MRB?

Thank you in advance!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I love the AVRs and you should definitely get one. I just want to warn you that I’ve read a few threads of people who hat several iterations of their setting made by Jonathan because there was always something not just right . IMO the communication was bad on both sides. But if you’re looking at a straight forward setting then it shouldn’t be a problem. I personally would trust him 100% with picking a diamond but his settings really don’t seem extra special.

I would look at erstwhile jewelry and Victor barboje they have oec rings with 1.2-1.7 carat stones. These sites sell vintage/ vintage inspired rings what fits nicely to a old cut diamond.
Also Instagram or Pinterest could be a good start to look at pictures and see what speaks to you. Save the pictures you like and look at them a week later. Maybe your taste will have changed or you actually still in love. Just remember a 1.2-1.7 carat looks different in a setting than a 4 carat.

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
I love the AVRs and you should definitely get one. I just want to warn you that I’ve read a few threads of people who hat several iterations of their setting made by Jonathan because there was always something not just right . IMO the communication was bad on both sides. But if you’re looking at a straight forward setting then it shouldn’t be a problem. I personally would trust him 100% with picking a diamond but his settings really don’t seem extra special.

I would look at erstwhile jewelry and Victor barboje they have oec rings with 1.2-1.7 carat stones. These sites sell vintage/ vintage inspired rings what fits nicely to a old cut diamond.
Also Instagram or Pinterest could be a good start to look at pictures and see what speaks to you. Save the pictures you like and look at them a week later. Maybe your taste will have changed or you actually still in love. Just remember a 1.2-1.7 carat looks different in a setting than a 4 carat.

Thank you for your feedback! I will check those out for inspiration. The setting is just a halo around the OEC, on a plain shank, OR a solitaire cathedral.

Requests for halo are minimum metal, a tilted halo, and 1.1-1.2 size melee, and a wedding band sitting flush. I am *hoping* they’re not too intricate of designs that communication would be lost. They seem pretty simple to me, but I’m not the expert!!

That being said... I am annoyingly communicative so there will be no shortage of it on my end! Lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use this website to compare the size of an AVC and RBs. You can enter the exact measurements of real stones to get the info. I find that diamdb
tends to overestimate the size of some stones if you let it default.

Congratulations! Its an exciting time for you!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
You can use this website to compare the size of an AVC and RBs. You can enter the exact measurements of real stones to get the info. I find that diamdb
tends to overestimate the size of some stones if you let it default.

Congratulations! Its an exciting time for you!

thank you! I don’t have an exact measurement of mine so I’m kind of just guessing based on some AVRs from the website! It looks like a 1.0 measures more like 0.9,and a 1.5 more like a 1.4 from face up. Interesting. I have a small finger anyways, so I’m sure anything will look good! I am a 4.25.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a halo I would research it on pricescope. A halo isn’t easy to make. Especially if you have a specific idea what it’s supposed to look like. Victor Canera handforges THE most beautiful halo the “Emilya” nur he won’t work an an AVR stone. And it’s not cheap.
IMO David Klaas makes a nice cast halo. Maybe check out his Instagram for a few examples.

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
If you want a halo I would research it on pricescope. A halo isn’t easy to make. Especially if you have a specific idea what it’s supposed to look like. Victor Canera handforges THE most beautiful halo the “Emilya” nur he won’t work an an AVR stone. And it’s not cheap.
IMO David Klaas makes a nice cast halo. Maybe check out his Instagram for a few examples.

thank you!! I think if I am not crazy about the renderings when I see them, I can select to put it in a solitaire and get something done at a later time. NOT sure about how future fiancé will feel about that (he can’t see the nuanced differences in jewelry, he won’t get it).

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
What would you ask to have the metal look less in this setting? It’s perfect otherwise. Does it need larger melee? Thanks in advance! A483CA8B-90C2-469F-BA75-EF9AD8E868C0.png B4CA0343-0DFB-41B3-B35E-3626B4200249.png

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Quick update - Jon has been AMAZING to work with, we actually changed this again to a cushion shaped halo, and it looks flawless. I cannot wait to see the final product (one day, who knows when, hopefully SOON)!!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful I hope it turns out to be all you expect. Did you decide not to have a donut, because you want your wedding ring to sit flush? (:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So excited to see the final product! Do you have pics of your stone yet?

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
It looks beautiful I hope it turns out to be all you expect. Did you decide not to have a donut, because you want your wedding ring to sit flush? (:

Wanted it to sit flush, yep!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
So excited to see the final product! Do you have pics of your stone yet?

I don’t have pictures of it and I don’t know if it’s even been ordered ‍♀️ The boyfriend is working on that part, my job was the setting!! Haha. I will post pictures as soon as I have it though! Probably WAY too many pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results