shape
carat
color
clarity

Authencity of EMIL and IGI reports

njkasis

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I know this topic has been extensively discussed but I have a few questions on a Yellow Sapphire and Ruby that I recently purchased online from GemstoneUniverse.com. It's primarily an online store with an actual store in Bangalore, India for astrological use of gems. The two stones came with reports for Ruby (from IGI) and Yellow Sapphire (from EMIL). I am primarily using them for astrological purpose so it has be unheated/untreated and that's what the certificates are attesting. How much can we depend on these reports for authenticity of the gemstone and that it's unheated?

Many thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally speaking I wouldn't trust any reports from unknown labs like these. AGS/GIA, others are trusted for colored stones, but others aren't. I wouldn't personally trust a report that wasn't from one of the bigger well-known labs.

njkasis

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Now that I have the rings can I verify them from an independent certified appraiser? Would they be able to tell if it's an authentic gem and if any heat enhancements were made?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately there are a number of so called “gem labs” in India and other Asian regions that are at best not reliable at worst, outright fake. That’s why we’re here on Pricescope say only trust known reputable large gem labs like GIA, AGS, Lotus or GRS SwissLab.
The AGS, who are highly regarded for coloured gem identification and will assess (for a bit extra) a gem already set into jewellery, charges $180 per gem for a mounted stone for a Prestige ID report that confirms identity and enhancements. Such a report can tell you if the gem has been heated or otherwise enhanced.
Looking at the gems on their website (gemstoneuniverse.com) I would say that most people like me who buy coloured gemstones for the quality of the colour and cut wouldn’t buy from gemstoneuniverse.com. The colour (s) and cuts of their gems appear lower quality but of course if your purpose is to satisfy astrological purposes, these factors important to me may be of no relevance to you. For eg almost none of the rubies are “red”, they are pink and I would call them pink sapphire not ruby.

njkasis

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I am primarily looking for jyothish/astrological purposes. I am also looking for another ruby and yellow sapphire. So I have seen africangems.com, gemsNY (with GIA cert) and wildfishgems. Clearly gemsNY even with a GIA cert is cheaper. What is your expert opinion on some of the online stores with GIA certificates for unheated/untreated ruby and yellow sapphire?

Thanks a lot!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Generally speaking I wouldn't trust any reports from unknown labs like these. AGS/GIA, others are trusted for colored stones, but others aren't. I wouldn't personally trust a report that wasn't from one of the bigger well-known labs.
You didn't mean to say IGI is an unknown lab, right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results