shape
carat
color
clarity

Aussie girl looking for help :)

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I posted a few years ago asking for advice but never made a purchase, so am back to research all the updated info! Have decided on lab grown due to cost (particularly here in Australia where a lab grown at same proportions is about 1/4 cost of mined).

However before I get weighed down with it all again, would also be happy for suggestions or just a quick 'overview' of how to exclude diamonds quickly when considering them. I remember reading in the education section a few years ago about how the cut can impact light return, and the best percentages to consider when looking at table size, crown height, pavillion depth, total depth, girdle thickness etc. I just can't remember what all these were!

Basically I'm in Melbourne, Australia. The two LG companies here I have been considering are Novita Diamonds and Cullen Diamonds. Am designing the ring for myself so my partner and I can eventually get married one day - he's hopeless with jewellery and basically said to me that whatever he picks will be wrong so I should do it myself. We have 2 little kids and twins on the way, so they have been our focus the past few years!

I am wanting:
Yellow gold band, pave setting
White gold/platinum (don't care) claw
6 prong setting

Diamond:
Round shape
Anything about 0.8ct, was probably going to stay under 1.0 due to cost/budget
G and above colour
Ideal or Excellent cut
VS2 and above clarity

Thoughts? Any particular proportions I should be considering or excluding when looking? HPHT vs CVD?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back to the forum!

Cullen seems to have much higher prices than Novita. I found a few options you can take a look at.

I would look at stones with close to these parameters.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 or 36 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

You also get 3 free uses of the HCA.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novita even has a setting similar to what you're looking for.

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Kim :) I think there had been potentially some concerns with the cast? that Novita uses to create their rings (that may be the wrong word) and claws becoming loose etc, but they seem to be a bigger company with a few different offices around Australia, whereas I think Cullen are a smaller family run boutique business here in Melbourne.

Thanks also for your stone suggestions, I'll have a look!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much Kim :) I think there had been potentially some concerns with the cast? that Novita uses to create their rings (that may be the wrong word) and claws becoming loose etc, but they seem to be a bigger company with a few different offices around Australia, whereas I think Cullen are a smaller family run boutique business here in Melbourne.

Thanks also for your stone suggestions, I'll have a look!

The pricing difference makes sense then. I did find a couple from Cullen.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lightbox are shipping to Australia now apparently.
They seem to be the only honest company since the retail and online margins on LGD are around 4 times the wholesale cost.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results