shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion questions - color and inclusion

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello All, Hope you had a great holiday season! I have been looking for an AVC during the holidays and have some questions. I know a lot of the PSers own awesome AV diamonds so hopefully i can get answers here.

First question is about the color of AVC. I briefly talked with a custom service on their website. Basically what he/she told me was that AVC doesn't show color as much as other diamonds on the market because of the light performance of their stone. I asked how much yellowish tone would show for a K,L, or M AVC and he/she said "not much". It is a little hard to understand that though because everyone's interpretation of "not much" can be different. If any of you have seen an AVC in person, can you kindly give me some advice? When I view a modern modified or brilliant cushion, I am not bothered by J at all even though I can see a little yellowish hue. when it goes up to L, the yellow tone becomes strong to my eyes. I haven't had a chance to see a K in person though. How would you compare AVC vs. modern cut cushions color-wise?

Second question is about the inclusion of AVC. I found a couple examples see the links below. Do these inclusion show black color and visible to the eyes?

I appreciate it a lot for your help!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a K color AVC. It’s .78ct and definitely faces up larger than I expected! I love it! It’s also my second diamond but the first is a small fancy yellow so no other diamonds to compare the AVC to. I haven’t really tried to capture the yellowness but I definitely see it at certain angles which I think is to be expected at K color. When I was learning about OMC & AVC I saw people describing Ks & Ls as creamy or vintage lace colored. However, often it does face up very white! I’d love to be able to compare it to an D, E, F but overall I’m really happy with it & think the older cuts lend themselves to lower colors very well.

C9C4437D-888D-4676-9CFF-F5FE81B15B01.jpeg CBABB2DD-53AF-482A-9CE8-C17A6B08D894.jpeg B55307D0-EFD0-4665-ABA6-DFB7DA81CBF1.jpeg

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Re your question about color, it’s all about how the cut quality of the particular stone (AVCs are precision cut, so by definition well cut); well cut stones mask their graded colors when viewed from the top but I don’t know how to compare to what you have seen because the “J” you saw could be true to it’s graded color, or better if it was a particularly well cut stone.
Re inclusions, yes, those are the black spots you see in the video...I personally would not be interested in a stone with black inclusions, especially right under the table (vs. off to the side that might be hidden by a prong).
For reference, my OEC pictured on my avatar is an “M” but hides the color really well...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread might help

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello @Hivona for showing me your beautiful ring and how it reacts to different light conditions, and @EC8 for your good advice, and @dreamer_dachsie I read every bit of your previous post about the M color AVC. It is great information you all provided to me and I am so grateful!

I noticed that a lot PSers seem to prefer the lower color vintage cushions. I wonder what a colorless AVC, or in general old cut cushion, would look like? do they loose certain characteristics when they are too white and loose that buttery color tone?

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I recently upgraded to a 1.35 F VVS2 AVC in 3 stone setting and am IN LOVE. I previously had an I color AVR, and then a G Solasfera. The G made me realize I really do prefer less color in diamonds even though I normally prefer off white, totally appreciative the charm of lower color antique style stones, and wouldn't go to an icy D.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I don't have more at the moment as my new phone isnt as good at close ups as my old one. I see pale shimmery silver and gold tones, huge amounts of fire, and lovely reflections of environmental colors (my phone case is purple, so that is contributing to the purple tones you see).

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, was having trouble attaching pics.

Attachments

• 20191223_101000.jpg
    20191223_101000.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20191223_145729.jpg
    20191223_145729.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20191225_115444.jpg
    20191225_115444.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 98

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
This is a link to the GOG video that made me gasp and fall in love. The colors in the video are true to what I see in the right lighting environments.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello All, Hope you had a great holiday season! I have been looking for an AVC during the holidays and have some questions. I know a lot of the PSers own awesome AV diamonds so hopefully i can get answers here.

First question is about the color of AVC. I briefly talked with a custom service on their website. Basically what he/she told me was that AVC doesn't show color as much as other diamonds on the market because of the light performance of their stone. I asked how much yellowish tone would show for a K,L, or M AVC and he/she said "not much". It is a little hard to understand that though because everyone's interpretation of "not much" can be different. If any of you have seen an AVC in person, can you kindly give me some advice? When I view a modern modified or brilliant cushion, I am not bothered by J at all even though I can see a little yellowish hue. when it goes up to L, the yellow tone becomes strong to my eyes. I haven't had a chance to see a K in person though. How would you compare AVC vs. modern cut cushions color-wise?

Second question is about the inclusion of AVC. I found a couple examples see the links below. Do these inclusion show black color and visible to the eyes?

I appreciate it a lot for your help!

I think an M is always going to be noticeably tinted. Thay may or may not bother you, but it certainly won't look as white as a GHI color. If you weren't bothered by a J then K might be safe, but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing it IRL. I would call AV and try to speak to jon. He can help you and take pics/videos of stones you are interested in.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs I agree with you I need to see them to understand what I truly want. Maybe I can request a video for a lower color vs. a colorless stone for comparison. @josieKat gosh that AVC of yours takes my breath away!!! that elongated shape, the light performance, the size ... oh it is everything I want! I appreciate both of you for your advice!!

I was browsing around and found one interesting stone on JbG. Can anyone comment the difference of the light performance of this one vs. AVC? this JbG stone looks dark under the table in some pictures. is this how it looks in real life or just the way the cameras capture it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results