shape
carat
color
clarity

ATTN: GEM Industry of AUSTRALIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t know where the best place to put this is.

But here goes, I think someone (hopefully) will know.

Where is the best place to go and learn about gemstones?? Gemology course in Sydney??

Who is the best gem stone faceter/cutter in Australia (or Sydney)

Which is the best company to go to for gem stones.

Are their independent gem stone dealers in Sydney.

Who or where are you. Let me know.

Thank you.

Nacre

Rough_Rock
Hi Lasscreative!

I will try to answer you questions as best I can.

1. Where is the best place to go and learn about gemstones?? Gemology course in Sydney??

The only place you are able to gain your internationally recognised FGAA is at the Gemmological Association of Australia. The course is 2 years. You can also do a short introduction course over 8 weeks. Visit the website and follow the links to the NSW division. The course applications have may have closed for 2010 as I think Gem 1 has already begun.

http://www.gem.org.au/

2. Who is the best gem stone faceter/cutter in Australia (or Sydney)?

That depends on what you want cut! There are lapidaries who have won may international awards in Australia, I guess they would be considered ''the best'' for some people. You may find it helpful to visit a gem show in NSW to meet some lapidaries and show them your material.

3. Which is the best company to go to for gem stones?

There are several wholesale companies in Australia who have outlets in Sydney. You would need to have an ABN and be able to pass security and credit checks before you are allowed to visit their offices however. There is one company which will deal with GAA full time students I know of. The companies I go to vary in their ppc prices, cuts and quality which I compare, so again, it really depends on what you are looking for. It is very important to find a gem dealer who has their FGAA and is registered.

You will find these companies listed in the 2010 edition of the Suppliers Directory of Australia.

It may benefit you to visit a trade fair in order to make these contacts and look at their stock. You would need to pass credit, security checks have an ABN and be registered with a photo ID to go to these fairs.

4. Are their independent gem stone dealers in Sydney?

There are independent dealers who VISIT Sydney. You must be able to buy confidently and POD. Most are not contactable and will not reveal when they are coming. This kind of trading is not for the weak hearted or uneducated.

The established gem trade in Australia is fairly small and mostly family run, so ''independent'' to my mind really only refers to the international traders.

5. Who or where are you. Let me know

I am in Australia.

Just a side note for everyone, (this comment is may or may not apply to you lasscreative), please be aware that the GAA is an educational facility and any discussions between students/teachers about gemstones pricing and the business of gemstones/jewellery whilst on the premises is strongly discouraged.

The GAA is NOT the place to meet professionals in order to sell or buy your gemstones/jewellery.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results