shape
carat
color
clarity

Attention old stone lovers: My OMC needs a home, stat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Morning everyone.

Ok, so I am getting ready to set my 1.60 OMC (K, VS) from Erica Grace (love them!!) ...it needs a home! But, here''s my dilemma, I don''t know what to set her in. Pictures of the stone are in this thread.

So, here''s my question, If you owned this stone and had a choice to set it in a:
1. James Meyer unplated white gold?

2. Leon in platinum?

I''m not a flashy type, but I do like sparkle. So I would most likely be putting a diamond eternity band with whichever we end up with. I''m completely indecisive and need some help. My ring size is 6.75 and the stone is 7.05mm (cut deep, it is 100+ years old!!)

So, what do you think??

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would prefer the JM, however, I think the Leon would look better with an eternity band. Just my personal preference though.

Beautiful stone!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
If you are set on having an eternity band, I''d go with Leon. However, if I were choosing I''d go with the James Meyer.

Wait...... I DID!!

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
The girdles might be thin to extremely thin on some of those older cuts. That Leon style leaves much edge exposed to potentially chip. You might want to redesign the head so it that extends out beyond the stone a little, to take the hits.

The James Meyer setting doesn''t have that problem and it also is open underneath to let light into a deep stone.

You might experiment with enclosing the pavilion to see whether that adversely affects the stone''s performance. Some of those older cuts perform much better if they are high mounted in prongs rather than dropped into a more boxy head. Leon would probably tell you if your stone would be better suited to some other head. I don''t know much about how James Meyer works.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
JM for me! But I agree that it might be difficult to pair with an eternity.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
You might like some of the Gordon Clark settings, too. gordonclark.com (no affiliation)

edit: Or maybe not. They don't have any of my old faves.

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
I would love to go for something more antique-y and ornate, but my budget is somewhat limited for now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The JM would be my choice (over those two). I don''t like the clawed prongs on the Leon, plus there is a thread in the hangout about his C/S being a bit unsatisfactory.
2.gif

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
I was reading about his C/S being iffy, but I will say from the two quotes I requested from Leon, they were fine. But those were just quotes. I''ve also inquited with Ari at single stone, but his prices for platinum settings were way out of my budget and offered me 18k WG instead. Ari was super, super sweet and fast in replying!!

I just cannot decide. While I love the JM, I''m not sure if I want to set our stone in something that may not work with a diamond eternity band.

Usually I don''t have such a problem spending money...
25.gif

Thanks for the replies so far.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
James Meyer --fabulous and suited to the stone

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be the leon for me (I hate to say that after reading some recent threads). Actually I might
have BGD do it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JM all the way - I think that setting would fit your stone like a gorgeous vintage butter-soft leather glove.
27.gif

And I think it would look lovely with an eternity band, also, if it was the *right* eternity band. A bezel band? Check! A nice antique band with fishtail prongs? Check! And so on and so forth.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is gorgeous! I''m getting my 1.73 JBEG cushion set in a Leon, but the look I went for is a bit different than what it seems like you want -- so based on that, I think the JM would be a good match for you. His stuff is absolutely fantastic and I anticipate getting a colored stone set in one fo his creations.
1.gif

Good luck making a final decision; I agonized over settings for weeks!!

PS - I thought by the title, you were trying to adopt out your OMC. I came running!
9.gif

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Ginger:

Congrats on your Antique cushion! I saw your 1.73ct cushion on JBEG website (I still stalk it)and it's beautiful!

I'm curious...what are you having Leon do for your cushion? I was searching around PS and found tiger007g's 3ct antique cushion in a GORGEOUS Leon and now I may put that into the mix as well...I am in LOVE with the head on her ring.

Back to the drawing board.
1.gif

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear I''m not the only one who stalks JBEG regularly, even after making a purchase!

After going through 4 completely different designs with Leon (poor man, I think I ran him ragged), and much angst about trying to modify an existing setting that I loved just to make it a bit different, I decided to get the same setting as Reena. Alas, on PS, it will always be "the Reena" and not "the Ginger." However, I got some good advice on here that suggested not making alterations just for the sake of doing so - that if I loved it, leave it as it is and no one in my real life will know it''s the same as anyone else''s.
1.gif

So, mine is the Heidy 523. I will be picking it up when I''m back in the States later this month, and am very excited to see it. I suppose it will differ from Reena''s in the fact that it''s an antique cushion instead of a modern cut, though.

Good luck on muddling through the decision making process. I probably still would be alternating through options if I simply hadn''t run into a deadline!
28.gif

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
You know, my FI actually bought the stone and I had no idea he did so - even with my regular stalkings! He did a great job picking the stone, but never had it set because he knows how picky I am about jewelry. He told me just the other day that he was going to send it to Leon anyway, but wasn''t 100% sure. We both so indecisive!

Reena''s cushion is gorgeous and I know your cushion will be fabulous in such a gorgeous setting as well. The best of luck you and don''t forget to show us pics!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JM stone is really unique and would be very cool.

The Leon is very classic and the prongs look very cool.

Both settings are just lovely. And both would wear well with everything. Are you a unique person or more of a classic person???

HTH

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
my vote is for the 1360 - I love Jims work

but I am biased - as I am the lucky lady who just got that very ring for her ering!!

31.gif

FYI - I am a size 7 and the stone is 1.59 and I just love the finger coverage I am getting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results