shape
carat
color
clarity

Attaching charms to bracelet?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have collected sterling silver charms for my two daughters in hopes of making charm bracelets. Most of the charms are from countries that we have visited together. Some 'charms' are actually earrings ( I will remove the ear part) and or pendants that represent each country to attach to the bracelet (these are from countries that did not sell actual charms). So my inquiry is twofold:
First: I have been quoted a price of $10 a charm to solder them onto a bracelet. I have nearly 40 charms for each child and this could be costly. Is there any other way I could attach the charms myself with rings and pliers? Or should I just learn to solder (I am not handy or detail oriented at all). They have been sitting in a drawer not being used and my girls are getting older and may not want a charm bracelet. So I would love a DYI if possible to save some $.
Second: I have too many charms for one bracelet. How should I divvy up the charms? A bracelet per hemisphere? A bracelet for each Continent (but Australia would be only one charm)? A bracelet for each five years of travel? A charm necklace?
Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have collected sterling silver charms for my two daughters in hopes of making charm bracelets. Most of the charms are from countries that we have visited together. Some 'charms' are actually earrings ( I will remove the ear part) and or pendants that represent each country to attach to the bracelet (these are from countries that did not sell actual charms). So my inquiry is twofold:
First: I have been quoted a price of $10 a charm to solder them onto a bracelet. I have nearly 40 charms for each child and this could be costly. Is there any other way I could attach the charms myself with rings and pliers? Or should I just learn to solder (I am not handy or detail oriented at all). They have been sitting in a drawer not being used and my girls are getting older and may not want a charm bracelet. So I would love a DYI if possible to save some $.
Second: I have too many charms for one bracelet. How should I divvy up the charms? A bracelet per hemisphere? A bracelet for each Continent (but Australia would be only one charm)? A bracelet for each five years of travel? A charm necklace?
Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

You can buy sterling silver split rings just google and do the job yourself, though it can be hard on your nails! Personally I find a charm bracelet can get in the way, I prefer a necklace. Etsy seller Lisa de Bidaph has a lot in varying styles and with 'themes' you might get some ideas.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second split rings for attaching charms to a bracelet, and one can get a pair of split ring pliers from the likes of Rio Grande.

DK :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks perfect. I don't know if I should do 4mm or 5mm but will probably buy both as charms vary in size. I saw sterling silver ones on the internet. Hopefully I can get the small ones open as the special pliers designed for these type of clips do not get good reviews for the small split rings. Any suggestions without breaking my already crappy :oops:nails?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've lost several charms from bracelets when they were "attached" with split rings. I wouldn't take that chance for charms that have special significance. For bracelets, I'd swallow hard and cough up the dough to have the charms soldered on. Necklaces might pose less of an issue, but personally, I'd have those soldered on too. I received a charm necklace from an uncle when I was 5 or 6 that is now, unfortunately, a one-charm necklace.

tand*m

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I have no good solutions to suggest, but I love your idea! Even if your daughters don't get much wear out of them now, I hope they appreciate the charms even more as they get older. What a wonderful tangible way to preserve memories.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results