shape
carat
color
clarity

At what temp do you think it’s too cold for shorts or skirts?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m curious to know. I live in skirts and shorts. Hate jeans or pants. Hate tights and leggings. So I absolutely wait until it’s freezing to wear pants. To me, if temp falls below 67 degrees Fahrenheit, I cant wear shorts Please share. Also I live in SO Cal. So there’s that. lol. No wind chill factor to consider.

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
80. I hate the cold!
Until last August, I llived in SoCal, too. Believe me, I miss the weather, so much!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only worn shoes instead of sandals twice this winter. (I'm not alone in this!)

The neighbor kid rode his bicycle around in shorts with four inches of snow on the ground. (29 degrees)

This is Washington... We wear shorts or skirts any time!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would wear longer skirts with tights in temperatures of the high 50s/60s. (had to convert from Celsius).
It's been 11/52 today and just warming up. I had a jumper dress and leggings on.
20/68 is pretty nice here, my house is about 21/70 inside.
For sandals, I think mid-70s. I'm in the midlands of the UK.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a temperature cut off or absolute for anything. I wear whatever I feel most comfortable in and don't go by the thermometer. So you might see me in boots when the temperature is 70 degrees F and you might see me in flip flops when it is colder out. Just depends on how I am feeling at the moment. If I am cold I will cover up and if I am hot I will wear less. But I rarely wear shorts and prefer leggings as tights with my short dresses which I wear year round actually. In the Northeast. So you might say I do what I want despite the weather and just listen to my body on that issue.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a cutoff?
I'm kidding(kinda?) I don't wear dresses, hate the things, so I don't wear them too often.
Shorts? Maybe 40F. Maybe less. Every weather is leggings weather:lol-2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
50 here in Chicago. Once it hits 49 the pants come out.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm seeing guys wearing shorts up here already. Mind you, I saw them wearing shorts in December as well. We're tough like that. I think anything in the double digits Celsius is fair game, lol. I'm always feverish though.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I saw a girl in shorts in 40F - that's too cold. With tights I'd wear a skirt into the 30s/40s, but w/o, I need it to be at least mid 70's

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't wear shorts much cuz I don;t like my legs! I wear dresses and skirts to work but always with tights (opaque or really sheer depending on the "season")

People wear shorts here in all seasons--despite the impracticality of it-- as we are beleaguered by precipitation (aka snow) and have a be dammed it all attitude.

ETA: Case in point: just saw some people out walking----most in "puffy" (down) jackets and boots/hats....but one in a short tank dress and boots. It is 0 C.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a temperature cut off or absolute for anything. I wear whatever I feel most comfortable in and don't go by the thermometer. So you might see me in boots when the temperature is 70 degrees F and you might see me in flip flops when it is colder out. Just depends on how I am feeling at the moment. If I am cold I will cover up and if I am hot I will wear less. But I rarely wear shorts and prefer leggings as tights with my short dresses which I wear year round actually. In the Northeast. So you might say I do what I want despite the weather and just listen to my body on that issue.

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Lol. How to prepare when I only have the weather forecast as my gauge. I’m extremely fussy if I’m wearing jeans that I feel constrict me. I should also mention that I’ve lost 30 pounds since last winter, so my body changed and now I’m trying to figure out my new normal. I’m almost thinking that I can handle 65 f.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a male friend who used to wear shorts all through the winter here in Connecticut and he was no kid; he was in his late 50's. There may have been days in the snow when he wore pants so as not to get his legs wet and icy, but the temperature didn't appear to deter him. Of course it looked on the weird side, but he didn't care.

I do not think there should be some sort of "moral" cutoff temperature for when a woman is supposed to become modest and put on her cold weather clothing. If she can bare it all in frigid weather, more power to her! I have to bundle up even in the warmest weather. It's all a matter of comfort, in my opinion. (Again, I'm with missy!)

Deb :wavey:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
we have a local "shorts guy" who is a kind of celebrity - someone made a facebook page about him. He wears shorts even in the snow.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never. Pop to the M&S, buy thicker tights and you're golden. I find skirts with tights warmer than jeans, but way more difficult for commuting to work by bike. I do have tights I bike in and then just put on a skirt over top when I arrive, that's the best way!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF. I want to clarify. Not asking for a dictate. I’m just asking bc I’m curious. Curious to see when others view cold. Curious to see if this barometer depends on your region, etc. I just started a thread. But this is not about etiquette. It’s just curiosity

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, just realized I got the question backward. Reading comprehension fail. For me, it's shorts weather inside the house all year round. In public, I'd say May through September. Only because I don't want to look too weird. I don't usually go out in shorts though. Skirts, dresses and those dreaded capris are more the norm for me unless I'm really dying from the heat and humidity. I have good legs somehow, but because I can't tolerate the sun, I'm really pale and insecure about that.:eek2:

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For me, the shorts come out once it hits 50. But as a BK amputee I can average the temp of my real leg and the pathetic one and that gives me a lower "cut-off" point than some other folks.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20 below zero, grab a light jacket . :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about men in kilts? Worn 'traditionally'? ;)) :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, the shorts come out once it hits 50. But as a BK amputee I can average the temp of my real leg and the pathetic one and that gives me a lower "cut-off" point than some other folks.

Did you mean prosthetic?? lol

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I live in Alabama and it would have to be in the 80s or 90s for me to break out the warm weather clothes. But I am a lot more comfortable in pants anyway.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get cold easily so pants come out in the 70's. You pretty much see everything around here (FL). It can be in the high 40's and kids will be wearing
shorts to school. I certainly dont judge...like Kenny says...people vary.

I hate wearing shoes that dont come off easily...in winter (Florida winter that is) I wear clogs with matching socks so they look like full coverage shoes...
I'm sure I'm not fooling anyone but I DONT CARE!:lol-2: My feet get claustrophobic!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wear shorts what ever the temperature out.
If its really windy and below zero and I'm going to be out for a while I may put on sweatpants over my shorts.
I cant stand pants touching my legs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Lol. How to prepare when I only have the weather forecast as my gauge. I’m extremely fussy if I’m wearing jeans that I feel constrict me. I should also mention that I’ve lost 30 pounds since last winter, so my body changed and now I’m trying to figure out my new normal. I’m almost thinking that I can handle 65 f.

Congratulations on your weight loss @nala! I’m like you in that I feel jeans constrict me. All but the most faded worn softened much used pair so generally I eschew jeans.

There's a cutoff?
I'm kidding(kinda?) I don't wear dresses, hate the things, so I don't wear them too often.
Shorts? Maybe 40F. Maybe less. Every weather is leggings weather:lol-2:

Yes to this. Same for me. Every weather is legging weather usually holds true for me to on all but the most humid hot days. Then a sundress with bare legs is my best friend.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Missy! I probably only have one pair of jeans that I can tolerate. Lol.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I never wear pants, shorts or skirts nor do I own any anymore. I wear dresses period, so comfy and a simple way to dress up or down for any occasion. Hate jeans, they hurt me. So do other pants although less. I would consider a very nice and unique, skirt from a comfy material. So when it is around 20-25 here like now, I wear overknees, tights ( normal not too thick), wool dress, wool coat and plenty warm enough. Likewise I hate pj-s but love silk etc. nightgowns. I am pretty sure I am in the minority style wise.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never wear pants, shorts or skirts nor do I own any anymore. I wear dresses period, so comfy and a simple way to dress up or down for any occasion. Hate jeans, they hurt me. So do other pants although less. I would consider a very nice and unique, skirt from a comfy material. So when it is around 20-25 here like now, I wear overknees, tights ( normal not too thick), wool dress, wool coat and plenty warm enough. Likewise I hate pj-s but love silk etc. nightgowns. I am pretty sure I am in the minority style wise.

I’m the same so then we are both happily in that minority. Love nightgowns and hate PJs. Dresses are my wardrobe staple no matter the temps. I just change the accessories depending on my level of warmth or cold. Bare legs or leggings. Boots or ballet flats. Easy peasy and super comfortable.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lol Missy. It is funny how similar we are. I have an assortment of dresses which I wear year around, with a few exceptions. A few are definitely summer, a few winter but I even hate wool dresses. Even if I wear wool like today it is like a short, more fitted, fuchsia. Otherwise it is mostly shorter dresses, I know exactly what I like, what looks good on me, I wear those dresses and change the accessories. It is only the colors that I go through stages in. Not per season so much but more longer periods. I recently had a pink phase, pinks, nudes, etc. For a while I did not wear blues and reds because they used to be my staple colors and got tired of them for a while. Now everything blue from navy to lavender blue to greenish blue is back in my wardrobe and reds, corals as well. Of course I have quite a few black dresses, those are always the basics in a dress wardrobe.

I got rid of all my pants, jeans, capris, shorts, skirts except for a few comfy ones I can wear if I go hiking or to some sporty occasion.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dresses are the best. They're only a summer option for me because of my problems wearing any type of shoes. :cry2: I feel the same about pajamas. I'm the only one I know who wears nightgowns.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dresses are the best. They're only a summer option for me because of my problems wearing any type of shoes. :cry2: I feel the same about pajamas. I'm the only one I know who wears nightgowns.

Lyra, maybe start a thread about supportive and comfortable shoes that might help you? I dont know what your restrictions are but PSers are a collectively wise bunch and perhaps someone can offer info that might help you?
((hugs)).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results