Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

At what size is it hard to appreciate the overall Aesthetic Appeal of a Diamond Solitaire?

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
General question for the PS community at what Size can a Diamond lose its Aesthetic appeal when used as a Solitaire?

The two pics on the Left & Right are ones I've taken out & about, I am quite surprised with how much the Jewellers command for the smaller sized Solitaires!

I love some of the Dainty Style/Minimalist Stacking Rings but some of Super Dainty Style Solitaires are lost on me

But this is only my personal opinion I am eager to hear what the wider community thinks about the Tiny Diamond Trend?

inCollage_20191122_005255620.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored By:

Related topics:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek! I'd caution against answering that question.

There are people at all income levels who would cherish a diamond ring.
A thread telling them their diamond is unacceptably small seems unkind.

DiamondLil2468

Rough_Rock
IMHO I think anything that comes under 0.10ct can be hard to appreciate aesthetically especially as solitaires but it's personal taste, I don't think @Cosmetologist is being unkind I'm sure the question was posted in good faith with no intention to shame anyone's Rings.

I do think it's certainly an intriguing topic the whole Dainty/Tiny Ring trend is still very popular it'll be interesting to hear others responses on their own size preferences.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I don't think @Cosmetologist is being unkind I'm sure the question was posted in good faith with no intention to shame anyone's Rings.
Absolutely.
I don't think so either.

Sincere apologies to Cosmetologist if I've offended.

I certainly did not call you unkind.
It is the subject itself that some might interpret as unkind.

In my mind I separate the question itself from the person asking it, whom I'm sure has the best of intentions.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would think of them as band not solitaire rings. The smallest diamonds catch light as unexpected pinfire - think of diamond numerals on watches. Fun to dot things with them!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
A small diamond is infinitely better than no diamond. The appeal for me would lie in a cleverly chosen setting that looked elegant and accentuated the smallness of the stone.

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
@kenny you have a very kind heart
someone on here - lucky i forged who - called my great Aunty's ER sweet and i knew what that ment :angryfire:

i dont know why but my google feed sends me some dreadful stories about people on facebook groups ring shaming happy soon to be brides (slow news day or what ???) but its just nasty for the sake of being nasty and people transfering their expectations onto others

@Cosmetologist. i quite like the one on the right
but i have podgy small fat fingers
those delicate rings would be lost on me but that particular style with the wider band might just work

My Gary, whom i have been with unmarried for 20 years doesnt beleave in alot of jewlery
i don't know what his ex wife's ER looked like but if he brought me one of those teeny tiny rings - well im not lying id prefer a bigger one - but i would still love it for what it represented
however i suspect a man of his generation would look on it as too small

i have seen some very small ERs over the years - on very happy newly engaged young ladies who were so happy with their tiny sparkle - no one should burst a bride's bubble
these ones you have posted have at least been designed with a minimalist design aesthetic in mind and look stylish in a minimalistic kind of way

the WG one is nice, and if he presented me with that id design a stack around it - but honestly when i do the exchange rate calculation (everybody get ready for a cringe) i have seen nicer things at my mall jewler for that price in the promise ring displays

do those really thin bands stand up to daily wear?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have it all wrong from my side of the pond - 1pt. www I expect this type at the high end of things whatever the ring might represent to the wearer.

For the one stone raised in prongs above a band rings, I expect the stone to be wider than the band by 1 mm or 2. The opposite - band slightly wider than the stone, defines my favorite kind of ring.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Made me reminisce.
Decades ago (me in my early 20s) a work colleague got engaged and proudly showed off her ring. It was literally a pin head size diamond and she couldn’t have been happier.
I then bumped into her at a Conference many years later and she was carrying a designer bag, wearing a Rolex watch and on her left hand was her wee and precious diamond engagement ring. It hadn’t changed and neither had she.
lovely woman.

moneymeister

Brilliant_Rock
My hubby has a 7 point diamond in his band, but it pings me at dinner and makes me smile. I have a 3-stone e-ring type ring with a .15 center (or close to it) but it is a tiny, tiny little sparkle bomb. A coworker from years past also had an under .2 ring and it was quite lovely. Small is fine, but hopefully they have fire!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it also depends on your finger size, what looks big on dainty fingers, might look small on large fingers.

My friend has a half carat diamond solitaire on her tiny fingers and it looks huge.

DiamondLil2468

Rough_Rock
Very interesting hearing everyones opinion I think @Austina is spot about the importance of Finger size etc

In response to @AV_ and @Wewechew isn't a single stone Ring classed as a Solitaire?? Especially if Prong Set? It's certainly intriguing to hear how different individuals categorise a Band Ring from a Solitaire Ring :geek2:

Screenshot_20191122_171215.jpg

Aaron2789

Rough_Rock
I think it all depends on the Person...Like I know my soon to be Fiancé would probably Joke about needing a Magnifying Glass to see the Stone if I proposed with one of the rings above lol but to each their own, They are all Beautiful to different people for different reasons this doesn't detract from the emotional attachments one can have to them.

Honestly I don't think the question is meant to shame anyone...without jumping the Gun (New here lol) I would say most avg PS Members have Rocks that are well 0.25ct+ I think the chances of the general public seeing this post and feeling attacked/shamed for a smaller ct weight Diamond are extremely low.

I think the question itself is Harmless and made from general curiosity with no malice or Hateful intent I think it's sad that others here perceive it that way instantly but then again that's the Internet in 2019 lol expect the worst from ppl!

Mamabean

Ideal_Rock
Made me reminisce.
Decades ago (me in my early 20s) a work colleague got engaged and proudly showed off her ring. It was literally a pin head size diamond and she couldn’t have been happier.
I then bumped into her at a Conference many years later and she was carrying a designer bag, wearing a Rolex watch and on her left hand was her wee and precious diamond engagement ring. It hadn’t changed and neither had she.
lovely woman.
I LOVE this @Bron357!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I would prefer at least around 0.50 carat. However, I used to rock a .30 carat when I was engaged to my ex-fiance 16 years ago, and it sparkled quite a bit and I even got compliments from random strangers believe it or not.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I think everyone has their own preference limits - on the small and large ends. For myself, I like anything between .30 up to about a 2 ct but I don’t give a damn what another person has on their finger unless they plan on giving it to me.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Rough_Rock
I think everyone has their own preference limits - on the small and large ends. For myself, I like anything between .30 up to about a 2 ct but I don’t give a damn what another person has on their finger unless they plan on giving it to me.
Same. I like my .4 carat and 1.28 carat, too, and I've set my eye on a larger AVC in the next year or so. The more, the merrier!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At each size a diamond possesses its own beauty. I wouldn't say no to any size diamond as long as it is gorgeous. Having said that an old cut diamond has more easily appreciated facets in the larger sizes but sure are stunning in smaller sizes as well. See my above explanation. IOW there is beauty in all sizes. Same for people too.

beautycomesinallsizes.jpg

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank-You to everyone who has contributed - Sorry for the slow reply!

First of all I'd like to Apologise to anyone who was offended or upset by my Post & Question, That was not my intention at all & I would hate to Shame someone for having a Smaller Rock.

My question was mainly aimed at the Super Small Stacker Rings that are available at the moment some are 0.05pts & below I personally can't appreciate a Stone that size especially as a Stand Alone Solitaire I think Stones that are 0.10 & above inherently are Beautiful.

My question was based on a Practical & Aesthetic basis I don't doubt that any ring can hold great sentimental value & can be cherished no matter what Ct Weight.

The Size or lack of doesn't diminish the Feeling or Affection a ring can evoke.

I've requested the PS Admin to remove this Thread to save any Future anguish caused by this Post/Question.

Daisys and Diamonds

Ideal_Rock
Thank-You to everyone who has contributed - Sorry for the slow reply!

First of all I'd like to Apologise to anyone who was offended or upset by my Post & Question, That was not my intention at all & I would hate to Shame someone for having a Smaller Rock.

My question was mainly aimed at the Super Small Stacker Rings that are available at the moment some are 0.05pts & below I personally can't appreciate a Stone that size especially as a Stand Alone Solitaire I think Stones that are 0.10 & above inherently are Beautiful.

My question was based on a Practical & Aesthetic basis I don't doubt that any ring can hold great sentimental value & can be cherished no matter what Ct Weight.

The Size or lack of doesn't diminish the Feeling or Affection a ring can evoke.

I've requested the PS Admin to remove this Thread to save any Future anguish caused by this Post/Question.
oh :(2
it wasn't a bad thread
sometimes things written done can be read out of contex because you can't see a person's expressions to asistain a true meaning to a question sometimes

some very thoughtful discussion came out of it
no offence taken

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.