shape
carat
color
clarity

Asthma and Dairy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had asthma all my life. It comes and goes now and I normally only have about 1 or 2 attacks a year. It can be exercise induced, stress educed, weather or illness related.

Last winter I went to Colorado to ski. I traveled from Miami at about 10 feet above sea level to Winter Park, Co at about 9,000 feet above sea level. While taking a ski class I started having trouble breathing and I''m not sure if it was asthma or the altitude... in any case I had to get tobogganed down the mountain after blacking out! (not fun!) During my stay at the ski infirmary, I was told that I should think about giving up milk and dairy products to help with my asthma. I love milk and I love, love, LOVE cheese. But that more that I think of it, the more I think it may be a good idea to try. Do any of you have any knowledge in this area?

I bring this up now because I just started a fitness boot camp for 6 weeks (Yea!) and I''m noticing asthma symptoms while doing the exercises. I always have my inhaler with me, but it sure would be nice to not feel the tightness in my chest!

Anyone with a similar situation? I''d love to hear the pros and cons of a non-dairy diet.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hi K. Like you I''ve had asthma all my life and and can be brought on through stress, illness, weather, exercise, laughing, dust, smells such as paint, air freshners etc. I don''t particularly like dairy, I don''t eat butter or margarine and only take a splash of milk in my tea and I limit my intake of cheese to the minimum because of the fat content however I was advised several years ago to cut it down because dairy can increase mucous production which makes it hard to breathe. I do find when eating ice-cream that my throat often feels tight once the ''frozen'' feeling is away so ice-cream is a once in a while treat for me and again I can only take certain types as cheaper versions often make my windpipe feel coated.

What you should do is cut it out of your diet and then slowly re-introduce it and keep a diary of how you''re feeling and see if it affects you or not. I did this and it really helps and if you can remove anything else that triggers an attack its worth making the adjustment.

Sadly I had a chest infection in April which means I''m going to have a bad asthma winter. I can go for a year or two without a serious bout then get a chest infection and struggle for months, picking up everything that goes about. Need to get my flu jab earlier this year I think.

Let me know how you get on?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have asthma and suffer the same triggers as the both of you. I have never heard of dairy triggers. I am going give them up for awhile and see what happens.

Thank you so much KQ, for starting this thread.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results