shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher photos and your reviews

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sado196

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m very excited that Tony at UnionDiamond was able to get back to me regarding this diamond and send me a photo. This is a follow up to my earlier post. I''ve gotten a picture of the diamond back and wanted some opinions. I will also upload the GIA report right after this.

To my eyes it doesn''t look perfect, but is this a good solid buy at $1200? It is a 0.48ct Asscher Cut Diamond, F in color and VS1 in clarity. The diamond features a 64.8% Depth, 57% Table, Polish – Excellent, Symmetry – Excellent, Slightly Thick Girdle, Polish – Excellent, Symmetry – Excellent, No Culet, No Fluorescence, the diamond measures 4.55 x 4.55 x 2.95.

UnionDiamond001.jpg

sado196

Rough_Rock

sado196

Rough_Rock
Hehe... oops. Didn''t upload the picture correctly...
20.gif
here it is...

048FVS1asscher_reduced.jpg

sado196

Rough_Rock
And here is the ring I want to put it in.

99U18.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id keep looking.
windmills are 2 small, corners not cut enough and the center of the pattern is not well formed.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty to me, but Stmdr''s the established expert around here. Could be worth looking at with your own eyes to see if you love it??

One note on your setting ... do you know what the widest point of the band is in mm''s? If it''s greater in diameter than your eventual center stone, the proportion of the whole ring could look "off", and make the center stone appear smaller. I''d check that out before ordering the setting just to make sure.

sado196

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much StrmrDr! All of your advice has been very helpful. I''ve distilled the following advice from your other posts and I''m using it as a guideline in my search! Did I get it right?

Type: Asscher
Carat: .44 - .49
Color: G or better & low florescence
Clarity: VS2 or better
Cut Guidelines:
Length/Width: 1.0 - 1.1
Table: less than 61%
Depth: around 60 - 65%
Girdle: around Medium
Crown Height: 10-15% or above

Ultimately it should have defined step, nice windmill pattern and a
deep appearance.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the size, you get some sort of bonus.. that color would not show nearly as much as it does on larger diamonds. I'd go down to 'I' if options are scarce.

Dunno, why... it may be a coincidence, but isn't the picture coming from the database of 'Stones' at www.Stuller.com ?

If so, you could take a look. Prices are up the sellers (this is one strictly wholesale business), but you get the stats and the pictures.

In theory, I agree with Strm that deeper cut corners (an ingredient of that 'windmill' pattern) are a good thing. Less cut corners do make these stones look larger though. And either shape has its followers - you would not get a premium or a discount for the corner clipping - whichever you like, that's the right choice.

You mention the picture doesn't look great. Well, it doesn't look great to me either - but I doubt this is because the diamond is ugly. The perfectly aligned and focused pictures floating around Pricescope from Whiteflash, Good Old Gold and others, are quite a special thing - few if any other shops do this. probably a side-effect of having the gear in place to shoot perfect H&A patterns in rounds. Sure I like tho see that
3.gif
... and even how! But wouldn't require the same from other sellers that do not have such service in place.

My 2c

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 1:16:17 PM
Author: sado196
Thank you very much StrmrDr! All of your advice has been very helpful. I''ve distilled the following advice from your other posts and I''m using it as a guideline in my search! Did I get it right?

Type: Asscher

Carat: .44 - .49

Color: G or better & low florescence

Clarity: VS2 or better

Cut Guidelines:

Length/Width: 1.0 - 1.1

Table: less than 61%

Depth: around 60 - 65%

Girdle: around Medium

Crown Height: 10-15% or above

Ultimately it should have defined step, nice windmill pattern and a

deep appearance.

You best bet for looks might be in the 64-67 depth range.
For these smaller asschers the drop pattern may be better because it will be more visible than the others.
The asscher thread in the faq has pictures.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
38.gif

D-VS2 $860, same .47cts and 4.5mm.

And half carat D/VS2 $1200

The stats were:
weight: 0.52
size: 4.62x4.61
GIA grades: D / VS2
depth: 66.2%
table: 60%
girdle: med-stk
finish: vg / vg
price: $1212

This was in fact the largest bit for $1200, down to I/VS2. Weight is what makes most of the price in this range.

Would I expect a huge difference, visual or otherwise from the stone already in? Not really. It may be that shapes are a bit different, who knows at this point.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And speaking of Stuller's:

E-VS1

67572.jpg

And F-VS1

67578.jpg

D-SI1

75884.jpg

Can't quite see what makes this SI1, but the description reads: "Feather in table, cloud under table and crown, crystal under second row."

Not sure which I would pic... these are all ~ half carat and 4.5mm. Cute stats and nice (IMO) looks. Perhaps the first in line (E/VS1) wins the day though.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 1:57:23 PM
Author: valeria101
And speaking of Stuller''s:

E-VS1

67572.jpg

And F-VS1

67578.jpg

D-SI1

75884.jpg

Can''t quite see what makes this SI1, but the description reads: ''Feather in table, cloud under table and crown, crystal under second row.''

Not sure which I would pic... these are all ~ half carat and 4.5mm. Cute stats and nice (IMO) looks. Perhaps the first in line (E/VS1) wins the day though.

1st too off square

2nd looks like it could be a good one

3rd dont like it

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I disagree with Storm here.

2nd stone show different width in windmill facets and either the table isn''t centered, the culet isn''t centered, or both.

Photos are simply reckless to render opinions from.

Post a Sarin report on these stones, that shows the centering of the table and culet data.

If the culet is off center then the pavilion is lopsided. If the table is miscentered then most likely the crown is lopsided.

But my opinion here is limited to what my eyes see in the photos, and that might not be accurate particularly if the stone wasn''t "squared" up for the photographs.

Rockdoc

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
RockDoc,
I saw that, its tilt I think.
Its why I said might... I would want some better pictures to make sure or a helium scan.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ya know, buying Asschers is SO TOUGH.

Finding ideal H&A rounds is to finding "ideal" Asschers --- like choosing from a litter of Lab puppies versus a WOLF in the wild.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results