shape
carat
color
clarity

ASSCHER ON HOLD-REQUEST ASET OR PASS? OPINIONS PLEASE

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
So I'm looking for a center stone to set in a three stone ring. I plan on doing a vintage/art deco look ala Tgal/Yenny but with step cuts. This would be for the center, I would like tsavs for my side stones.

I thought this diamond looked very "old cut"to me due to it's interesting octagon shape. Color is F, even higher than my ering stone. I wasn't really looking for a stone right now, just window shopping. But I thought I would put this on hold and get opinions.
Gia report is from 2004 so likely a trade-in of some sort.

Here's the link: http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.70-carat-f-color-SI1-clarity-sku-140893

Please note-the link carat size and clarity are incorrect. It is a 1.00ct F VS1. Somehow when they put it on hold for me the link got renamed but it as stated on the GIA report.
Carat weight:1.00

Certificate:GIA

Color:f

Shape: Asscher

Clarity: VS1

Depth %:69.90

Girdle: Thin-Medium

Table %:62.00

Culet:-

Polish:Good

Crown ∠: -

Symmetry:Very Good

Crown %:-

Fluorescence:None

Pavilion ∠:-

L/W/D: 5.65*5.58*3.90

Thanks in Advance!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry I don't know enough to comment on the actual asscher performance, but the shape is way cool!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Get an ASET it looks good so far.
Nice crown height.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has potential, but the corners look like they are cut a little more than I personally like. I'll wait until the ASET comes, though, to really give an opinion.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
GemFever said:
Sorry I don't know enough to comment on the actual asscher performance, but the shape is way cool!

I thought so too, GemFever! It's kind of an extreme octagon. Imagine it set in an octagon bezel with milgrain :lickout:

Karl_K said:
Get an ASET it looks good so far.
Nice crown height.

Karl thank you for replying. I feel not understanding crown height was my biggest mistake when I purchased my EC, but It's set in my dream setting, wasn't very expensive and I'm keeping it for now. I also thought the crown hgt on this stone looked quite good. Curious what your thoughts are on the extreme octagon shape. I spent hours googling "octagon asscher" last night and didn't find much. So is this really unique or not?

diamondseeker2006 said:
I think it has potential, but the corners look like they are cut a little more than I personally like. I'll wait until the ASET comes, though, to really give an opinion.

Thank you DS. Your asscher is stunning & I was planning on contacting Jon to pull a few options for me closer to summer. Really liked the K he has in stock that he called in for BeeCushion. However in my quest to simply study the cut I was browsing JA & found this stone to be very interesting. I love unique things and thought this shape could be perfect in an octagon bezel.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: Woofmama! I don't have sufficient asscher info to be advising you, but visually - I also love that cut! It is very balanced with the equal proportions of the sides and corners and I find that very pleasing! Great stone -- I would also say get an ASET before firming up.

Very nice!! Will it be ready for me to wear...ooops...um, I mean- for you to wear, when I get to Chicago in APril??? I hope so!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
woofmama|1359919362|3371279 said:
Curious what your thoughts are on the extreme octagon shape.
Love it!!!! They are rare because the smaller the corners the better the weigh retention for the cutter and there is preference by many for slightly smaller corners.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking that you'd probably have to have your sidestones custom cut to match because I don't think you'll easily find a matched pair of asschers period and if you did, the cut probably would not match well enough. I'd want all three bezels to be the same shape.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1359920275|3371291 said:
woofmama|1359919362|3371279 said:
Curious what your thoughts are on the extreme octagon shape.
Love it!!!! They are rare because the smaller the corners the better the weigh retention for the cutter and there is preference by many for slightly smaller corners.

Yippee!!! I knew it looked special. Okay I'm requesting an ASET. Thank you for the explaination.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi said:
:wavey: Woofmama! I don't have sufficient asscher info to be advising you, but visually - I also love that cut! It is very balanced with the equal proportions of the sides and corners and I find that very pleasing! Great stone -- I would also say get an ASET before firming up.

Very nice!! Will it be ready for me to wear...ooops...um, I mean- for you to wear, when I get to Chicago in APril??? I hope so!!!

Hey Enabler, ummm I mean Enerchi :wavey: Glad to see you! I doubt I will have a completed ring by then. I really wasn't shopping right now, just kinda window shopping/studying asscher cuts when this stone demanded I put her on hold :naughty:
If my DH doesn't throttle me I'll probably have it in the diamond holder thingy and we can take it to look at settings. The ultimate goal is to put this in a three stone ring with Tsav garnets on either side as my Mothers ring. I would do an art deco style.

diamondseeker2006 said:
I was thinking that you'd probably have to have your sidestones custom cut to match because I don't think you'll easily find a matched pair of asschers period and if you did, the cut probably would not match well enough. I'd want all three bezels to be the same shape.

I agree about the matching issue DS. I spent some time thinking about it and hope I can find some Tsav garnets to use as sidestones. I'll be hanging out in CS's to find out who would be the best cutter for those. Maybe Jeff White or Roger Dery. I have a few rings saved to my inspiration file that have asschers with asscher cut sapphires which are very art deco & amazing. The Tsav's are in honor of both my sons, January birthdays. Thank you for your advice and insight :))

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think the shape is really cool! I'm sure you could have one of the custom cutters mentioned over in CS cut 2 tsavs for you. A few possibilities - Jeff White, Peter Torraca, Gene Flanigan (Precision Gem), Gary Braun (Finewater Gems)...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what a peculiar cut! i really like it. You will have to defer to other people about the performance aspect though :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the shape, reminds me of Octavia!

To me it looks a little lazy under the table but you would need an ASET or in person viewing to judge that.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
While your requesting an ASET ask for a gemologist opinion also.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope all the info comes back positive for you - it is such a cool stone!! And I can totally see that set in an art deco style setting!! DiamondZone - here we come!! or even Dimend Scassi --- woohoo!! This will be the highlight of my Chicago trip!!

How long does it take to get an ASET and a gemologist opinion? Must be a week day Mon - Fri thing, so do you think you'll have info tomorrow? Very exciting!!

Sometimes these things just appear, whether you are looking for them or not, and whether you are READY or not! Even if you start with the stone purchase, the setting can be something you plan for later on. That's if you decide to purchase. But it is lovely and unique!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
potentially an octavia-esque type of asscher???

nice stone!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
stargurl78 said:
I think the shape is really cool! I'm sure you could have one of the custom cutters mentioned over in CS cut 2 tsavs for you. A few possibilities - Jeff White, Peter Torraca, Gene Flanigan (Precision Gem), Gary Braun (Finewater Gems)...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping it won't be too complicated to get the tsav's.

Karl_K said:
While your requesting an ASET ask for a gemologist opinion also.

I requested ASET, gemoligist opinion and sarin. They said I should get all on Wednesday.

Dreamer_D said:
I love the shape, reminds me of Octavia!

To me it looks a little lazy under the table but you would need an ASET or in person viewing to judge that.

Thanks Dreamer :)) I thought it was Octavia-ish, too! I hope Karl doesn't mind the comparison. Of course his stones are TDF!

nielseel said:
what a peculiar cut! i really like it. You will have to defer to other people about the performance aspect though :))
I'm a peculiar woman nielseel :cheeky: If something is different, I want it :)) Glad you like it!
Enerchi said:
I hope all the info comes back positive for you - it is such a cool stone!! And I can totally see that set in an art deco style setting!! DiamondZone - here we come!! or even Dimend Scassi --- woohoo!! This will be the highlight of my Chicago trip!!

How long does it take to get an ASET and a gemologist opinion? Must be a week day Mon - Fri thing, so do you think you'll have info tomorrow? Very exciting!!

Sometimes these things just appear, whether you are looking for them or not, and whether you are READY or not! Even if you start with the stone purchase, the setting can be something you plan for later on. That's if you decide to purchase. But it is lovely and unique!

I'll be posting the Aset and review on Wed. DH gave me the greenlight to purchase if I like it:bigsmile: We can have so much fun taking this little sparkly around to all the jewelers. I suck at taking pictures so bring your camera! You'll have to be my intrepid diamond setting reporter. Oh the fun we shall have :appl:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1359933788|3371458 said:
potentially an octavia-esque type of asscher???

nice stone!

Thanks Greg! I hope it has a great ASET. Can't wait to see it :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of potential. I'd get an ASET.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at asscher's on JA video is just AMAZING! :appl:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:

Thanks Gypsy! Both of those diamonds look amazing. I love the first one you linked & if the second is eyeclean that's a great price. I'm just going to see what happens with the octagon one right now. I really wasn't actively looking for a stone just yet but couldn't resist putting the one I found on hold. I should have the gemoligist review & ASET on Wed and will post them for everyones opinion.
The center I chose will be for a three stone ring which I wasn't planning on starting on until summer.

If this diamond doesn't pan out for me I'll probably wait a few months to look some more. Keep your fingers crossed for a beautiful Red & Green ASET!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1359942722|3371520 said:

DS I absolutely agree with this :)) I have also watched all of GOG's videos ad nauseum. My DH thinks I'm obsessed and my sons call me Frodo :lol:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1359943895|3371531 said:

DS I absolutely agree with this :)) I have also watched all of GOG's videos ad nauseum. My DH thinks I'm obsessed and my sons call me Frodo :lol:

NO, no, no... Frodo is only a guardian for a ring... you are just "mildly" interested in a stone.. (a bloody nice stone at that). Obsession is a cologne by Calvin Klien. Your son needs some education!!!! LOL..

Cant wait for the ASET!!
Also LOVE the new website for JA! OMG- how good is that??????

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1359946418|3371573 said:

NO, no, no... Frodo is only a guardian for a ring... you are just "mildly" interested in a stone.. (a bloody nice stone at that). Obsession is a cologne by Calvin Klien. Your son needs some education!!!! LOL..

Cant wait for the ASET!!

:lol: Okay I'll set the hubby & kids straight. No more teasing the household Matriarch or there shall be zero groceries or clean socks for them. I deserve diamonds,many,many diamonds for all my years of mediocre housework & cooking. I have successfully brought home a nice paycheck all these years so that makes up for it,right? :Up_to_something:
Bloody nice stone, love the sound of that :naughty:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1359948649|3371598 said:
gregchang35|1359946418|3371573 said:

Cant wait for the ASET!!

:lol: Okay I'll set the hubby & kids straight. No more teasing the household Matriarch or there shall be zero groceries or clean socks for them. I deserve diamonds,many,many diamonds for all my years of mediocre housework & cooking. I have successfully brought home a nice paycheck all these years so that makes up for it,right? :Up_to_something:
Bloody nice stone, love the sound of that :naughty:

Bolded: An Australian-ism: Bloody nice.......
underlined: Too right, it makes up for it!!!

C'mon ASET. Impatient here... do you know who we are?????

If i could- i would have bought it b/c of the shape, without the ASET. the video looks :loopy: :loopy: :lickout: :lickout:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing technically about asschers but I know what I like and that one is just gorgeous. Beautiful. So many gorgeous flashes!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Whoa - I don't think I've ever seen an asscher cut quite like this before. I really, really like it. Mesmerizing. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see the ASET!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
misskittycat said:
I know nothing technically about asschers but I know what I like and that one is just gorgeous. Beautiful. So many gorgeous flashes!

Thanks misskitty! I'm guessing it will be very flashy. Can't wait to see if I'm right.

justginger said:
Whoa - I don't think I've ever seen an asscher cut quite like this before. I really, really like it. Mesmerizing. :love:

Hi justginger :wavey: I think I stumbled across a cool little diamond :)) Glad you like it. Mesmerizing is appropriate I think...but Poppy is really, really mesmerizing :love:

Chrono said:
Can't wait to see the ASET!

Thanks Chrono! Got the confirmation email today from JA. I should have ASET, gemoligist reveiw & SARIN on or Wednesday. Very excited :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results