shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher help on particular stone for mom: pics and stats

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Lots of thanks to those who weighed in earlier to help me get to this point (and to everyone who volunteers their time here to help others - I have been a long-time mostly-lurker and while I don't buy a lot, I've thoroughly enjoyed learning over the years here).

I'm on the hunt for a stone for my mom. I've seen this asscher briefly in person and liked it. There weren't obvious problems like a dead center, but I've spent almost no time looking at step cuts and don't trust myself to be a good judge of the cut qualitty of step cuts.

I have some pics, and some stats. I'll try to get more, and please ask if there's something specific I can get, but the chances aren't great I'll get more info so I'd really appreciate any input based on the info that's here. I know an ASET would be helpful, and I will try to get one, but my general competence with photography and the ASET may prevent that.

The diamond is mounted, so the info below is an appraiser's estimates. There's no chance of unmounting the diamond or having it graded before purchase (though the appraiser has likely done a reasonable job given the diamond was mounted), and no return policy. I know this is not ideal, but I'm ok with that here.

The measurements are approximately 8.50 x 7.98 x 5.12 mm.
The table is approximately 62.5%
The crown is approximately 16% (percent of total depth, not an angle)
The girdle is approximately 2%
The pavilion is approximately 46% (percent of total depth, not an angle)
The depth is approximately 64%

The grade setting inclusion is a small colourless inclusion (maybe a crystal) under the table. There's a nick at the girdle, and minor abrasions on the facet edges on the crown.

The questions that are top of mind:
- Any thoughts on cut quality
- I'm not sensitive to non-obvious inclusions, especially if they're white/clear (si1/2 is my sweet spot). what do others think of the inclusions?
- Would polishing out the nick at the girdle and the crown facet abrasion hurt the cut quality?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on anything about this diamond - thank you very much in advance.
asscher_160609_1.jpg
asscher_160609_2.jpg
asscher_160609_3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm.
Not an easy one. I don't know what to think about that nick on the girdle. Hopefully a pro will comment on that.

I like the stone and it's culet, it may have a very slight P3 issue, but not a bad one (like that other stone I put in your last thread).

I don't see anything else that is bad. I don't know about the polishing issue. I do like the stone, from what I see, especially that culet.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1465433305|4041935 said:
Hmm.
Not an easy one. I don't know what to think about that nick on the girdle. Hopefully a pro will comment on that.

I like the stone and it's culet, it may have a very slight P3 issue, but not a bad one (like that other stone I put in your last thread).

I don't see anything else that is bad. I don't know about the polishing issue. I do like the stone, from what I see, especially that culet.

Hi Gypsy! :wavey:
thanks very much for weighing in. I know there are threads and articles about this (I had seen the thread you posted with the extreme example earlier), so I'm sorry to ask, but as I'm just not getting it - when I see it in person, to judge the p3 issue, I look for darkness under the table? and the square-shaped facets under the table to blink on and off in a reasonable pattern? is your thought on the p3 issue coming from the 3 dark facets that are west, north and east of the culet, fairly close to the culet?

Also, from the diagrams on the P3 facet issue page, it looks like it would be easy to fix the issue, as they seem to be wrong mostly to preserve weight ... would recutting them help? or do some p3 facet issues come from those facets being too shallow/angled? I read in one of the recent asscher threads that it's hard to find asschers without issues - is that right, and if so, how bad is this p3 facet issue in the larger scheme of things?

simurgh

Rough_Rock
Ok, one more pic. They said the image might have been altered, but I think that's the color (looks whiter) and not other things.

The black inclusion between 12 and 1 o'clock I think you can sort of see in the first pic (I think this one is upside down vs the first one, so it's between 6 and 7 o'clock). I didn't notice it in person but can look for it.

asscher_160609_7.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not something that I can diagnose from thoe pictures 100% I can only tell you what I see IN THAT PICTURE, and you'll have to decide how those facets perform in real life.

It's a really nice stone. My job is just to tell you my observations. I do not think anything I see is a deal breaker, at all. I just want to make sure your decision is informed.

asscher_160609_1-j.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results