shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Girdle Thickness - How important is it??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
A lot of the asschers that I'm looking at have ratings of:

sl thk
m-stk
thk
tk
very thick

I understand the risks related to a thin girdle, and it just so happens that based on my other requirements, none of the diamonds have thin girdles. No comments on the girdle is about as good as it gets.

How significant is the girdle thickness on an asscher? Is there a certain thickness that should be avoided?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... What happened with 'extremeley thin' - 'thin' ?
2.gif

Then, "very thick" does not sound appealing - who needs it
confused.gif

Otherwise, there are just two things that girdle thickness can do: hide some weight (the famous argument that deeper stones are 'smaller' for the weight) and make the average pavilion angle flatter than you would expect given table size.

About weight... Actually, girdle thickness has more impact on size than total depth: you get a wide, thick slice of diamond into a thick girdle - but only a small tip in the bottom if total depth is higher but the girdle is thin.

I would not know to explain what goes wrong in general if the crown of a step cut stone gets flat (sometimes the case when the girdle is thick and pavilion not high enough). Whatever the effect on brilliance and appearence would vary allot with the other stats of the stone
read.gif

Just my 0.2, of course
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results