shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AsscherExplorer

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing an antique ring containing an Asscher diamond with the following specs:
1.68 ct, F color, VS1 clarity
6.54 x 6.04 x 4.99
82.6% depth
54% table
Girdle- thin to slightly thick
cutlet- medium
Polish- Good
Symmetry- good.

The diamond is part of an unusual ring which I really like. My main concern is that the cut of the diamond is too deep. I know that old Asscher''s were often cut deeper than modern, brilliant cuts, but I''m concerned that this diamond is cut too deep and will sacrifice brilliance. (I know the deep cut will also sacrifice surface area but I''m less concerned about that).

As an alternative, I could purchase a new diamond cut in the Asscher style and have a jeweler design a similar setting. My concern here is whether the newly cut asscher style diamond will be as high a quality cut as the antique.
(I''m not willing to pay the premium for a Royal Asscher.)

I would greatly appreciate hearing any thoughts on my dilemma. Many thanks in advance.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Is this antique stone a Royal Asscher??

AsscherExplorer

Rough_Rock
The antique is not a Royal Asscher. My understanding is that Royal Asscher is the trade name for a new cut (only produced within the last 2 years) with additional facets from the Asscher house. Because the design has some IP protection (I'm not an IP lawyer so I'm not sure whether its patented or trademarked), Asscher has been able to keep quantities of the Royal Asscher cut limited and has also limited distribution to select retail outlets. For these reasons, the Royal Asscher diamonds are quite pricey.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Royal Asschers are quite antique... More recently they have renewed the cut adding facets... Many modern stones do not have a culet, others have one, though --mostly small or medium and polished.

BTW, your stone is too deep for my tastes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results