shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut suggestion

Und

Rough_Rock
Hello

I am looking to propose to my girlfriend (wooohoo!!!!). I've narrowed it down to an asscher cut and thinking of getting one of these. I really worried about making a mistake and would love any thoughts you would have on the diamonds I am looking at

a Diamond 1.PNG

Diamond 2.PNG Diamond 4.PNG Diamond 3.PNG

Thank you!!!
Und

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum! :)

Has your girlfriend said she wants an Asscher?

They are very different to a 'classic' round diamond engagement ring, so you need to make sure it is what she wants!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love asschers. I think they are elegant and classy as heck, but they face up small.

What finger size is your GF.

You can see my asscher at my IG yatcube

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on just still photos, which is a bad way to judge an asscher, this is the only one that caught my eye.

But it might have a dead step. We really need to see the videos.
9569DC96-2908-4F4E-8A22-E175FEF28EA1.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asschers can only be judged in person in multiple lighting conditions.

That is the best way, sure, but for me I couldn’t find any jewelers who carried asschers, and so I bought mine blind from blue Nile without a photo or a video lol.

I kept it because it was gorgeous.

Just find a vendor that has a generous return policy. You may have to buy and send some back

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the best way, sure, but for me I couldn’t find any jewelers who carried asschers, and so I bought mine blind from blue Nile without a photo or a video lol.

I kept it because it was gorgeous.

Just find a vendor that has a generous return policy. You may have to buy and send some back

I think you are the exception to the rule, ww :D lol

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the 1.21 E the best, but that girdle reflection gives me some pause.

Let me poke around and see what's out there

Und

Rough_Rock
THanks for your comments everyone.

@OoohShiny we had a look instore and she did like the emeralds and asschers. She wasn't a fan of hte round brilliant cut, so I thought I go the asscher to get something unique

@whitewave - I love the cut is understated and yet has a shine to it. It's been my favourite and thinking of pairing with tappered baguetts, trapezoids or shield cut on the side. Thoughts?

I really can't tell the difference between Option 3 (F VVS2) and the E Vs2!! What makes you prefer the E VS 2 over the other other one

I'll ask for the GIA certs

Und

Rough_Rock
@kb1gra that will be fantastic. Girdle reflection, I'm going to google what this means
Looking around the forum, seems like a SQ emeralnd = asscher. The name shouldn't be concerning from this think

@oooShiny, my girlfriend is size 53 (she is petite).

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
@kb1gra that will be fantastic. Girdle reflection, I'm going to google what this means
Looking around the forum, seems like a SQ emeralnd = asscher. The name shouldn't be concerning from this think

@oooShiny, my girlfriend is size 53 (she is petite).

You can see the GIA number inscription on the facet in the video, which means the girdle is reflecting into the stone at some angles.

My avatar image is an emerald cut with baguettes - I also post my asscher setting a lot because it has shield-shaped round stones on the sides to give some extra sparkle. You could consider something similar.

1595985658466.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asschers are so tricky to choose and pretty much come down to personal preference in most cases (since the "flavor" differs between stones). Obviously some are objectively bad, but of the ones that aren't, you have to see what appeals to you. But videos are 100% necessary IMHO. You simply cannot choose a step cut or other fancy cut without seeing it in motion. I like the ones @kb1gra posted, and I also like these 2 from James Allen (but again, you might not like agree or like these)

Und

Rough_Rock
kb1gra - I really like the emeraland ring in your profile! Very elegant and I like the encasing of the main diamond. It makes every diamond on the ring feel unique.

I like the thought of the shield diamond on the side to give it some brilliance. I'm not sure how it would look in real life, would it detract from the asscher as it's not very "brilliant" / step cut.

Re the Girdle, do you think that makes it a bad cut / less brilliant in real life?

I love the diamonds you've shown. I'm little hesitant to buy online as a friend had his diamond get stuck in customs and given COVID it's going to make it worse

I'll ask the local guy for some videos. So out of those options, everyone seems to be leaning towards the E VS 2. Anything you don't like about F VV2?

@Love dogs - yeah good point. It's just so awkard being stuck in lockdown again and not being able to see stuff in real life for some time again!!!! I'll ask for video

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS!
So happy your intended has a love for step cuts!!
How exciting!
I love step cuts, too!! They are my FAVORITES (but don’t tell anyone ;)2).
I have not looked at any of the stones posted, above, yet.
I wanted to throw out some additional advice, first.
Online shopping is a whole new ball game, compared to in person shopping.
Virtual examination of a fancy cut diamond is far more involved, as you cannot rely on stats, specs, and paper certs, alone, to ensure you have a fabulous performer.
crown angles and Pavillion angles of fancy cuts vary, and only the right combo will provide optimal performance. Fancy cuts have variables, as opposed to MRB’s, which make extra visual aids necessary.
In addition to certs, and photos, you must have videos (multiple, with the stone in different lighting environments and backgrounds), as well as ASET images of each stone to see how the stones perform.
You should place any stones you like on hold, immediately, and request this info.
You are welcome to share that info here, where we can take a look, and chime in on our opinion of which should be the top dog.
As mentioned above, this process involves 100% preference.
Do you (does she) have a l x w ratio sweet spot (more square than elongated?) True square Asschers should fall between 1.00-1.03:1 squared l x w ratio. Anything beyond that would be classified as a sq. Emerald Cut.
Step cuts will show contrast. Some have more than others. You must decide how much contrast is desirable to you.
Step cuts have a varied number of Pavillion facets and crown facets, different table sizes, and variable facet sizes (thin v thick).
All of these little details will impact your preferences.
Asschers will face up smaller than their MRB competition, so you will want to focus on the mm spread of the stones to get maximum finger coverage for your buck.
There are MANY factors that go into choosing step cuts, but the ideal method to use to evaluate a step cut stone is with the naked eye.
Once you choose a stone, examine it at home, in varied lighting environments that are common to you (and her) to see if it performs as expected IRL.
You will need a great return policy, so choose a vendor with a great return policy.
If your intended may wish to upgrade, in the future, make sure that vendor has a desirable upgrade policy, as well.

That being said, I will check out the options above, and throw in my $.10, later.

This process can seem overwhelming. Do not get discouraged. We are here to help make this process smooth, and fun.
Enjoy this part of your journey!

I love the idea of side stones on the ring.
If you choose traps or shields, they should be step cut, as well, as to not distract from the center, but compliment it. The design will flow more consistently.
If you are going to add brilliant cuts, you should add accent stones around the head of the ring, along the profile of the ring, and/or along the shank.
I will stay tuned!
Heading off to work!
I will return, later!!
:cool2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Und Video did not work for me

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is your #2 Diamond.
F VVS2:

076A5888-C8CF-4691-8833-5394E8EF8087.png
of the examples you posted, this, based upon static images alone, is my top choice.
The pattern is consistent across the stone, the performance is strong across the stone. Without seeing it in motion, it’s subjective to say it will have nice contrast, and move as expected in real life....but I THINK it will.

These are the examples posted by @lovedogs. They are stills taken from videos.
Both of these are strong contenders.
The bottom stone is a fine example of how contrast can positively affect a diamond’s performance.

FB900996-207B-4477-95CA-BD40AA4883D4.png 95F6663A-B345-41CC-802E-432ED4BA8B8B.png

All 3 should be placed on hold, and examined using the tools I recommended, above.
If you would like some more suggestions, I will be happy to search for you, but I think you have really good candidates to start with, right here.

Und

Rough_Rock
@ Matthews1127
Thank you for your lovely post. extremely helpful. I agree with you, step cuts don't get enough credit :)
I am going through this now in detail. It's nearly midnight here, time for some coffee

I've uploaded the video of the diamond the dealer suggested I buy with the GIA Certificate. The dealer did suggest the F 1.2 was the best value and great cut. He is saying this E VV2 is even better but $700 USD additional
@ tyty333 uploaded video to youtube. Hopefully that works.

GIA.png

1.2 E VVS2.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link wouldn’t come up (error message) but I think this one would have possibilities.

I wish the video didnt cut off at the end the way it did. I want to see it go round and round.

You just don’t want it to black out in places.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video being a bit short is unfortunate but I think it looks pretty decent - not too much obstruction face on, which is good, and the faceting looks visually interesting to my eyes :)

It might window a bit when tilted/rotated? But that is not uncommon, from what I've seen.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a budget and preferred specs we are working to? :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ Matthews1127
Thank you for your lovely post. extremely helpful. I agree with you, step cuts don't get enough credit :)
I am going through this now in detail. It's nearly midnight here, time for some coffee

I've uploaded the video of the diamond the dealer suggested I buy with the GIA Certificate. The dealer did suggest the F 1.2 was the best value and great cut. He is saying this E VV2 is even better but $700 USD additional
@ tyty333 uploaded video to youtube. Hopefully that works.

GIA.png

1.2 E VVS2.png

My concern is there is too much leakage.
An ASET will most certainly be necessary to show this stone’s performance.
It is my least fav of the 4 potential choices.

Und

Rough_Rock
I wish the video didnt cut off at the end the way it did. I want to see it go round and round.

You just don’t want it to black out in places.

I agree!!! I've asked him for a longer video. He says he buys from wholesalers in USD from o/s and to keep stock / price down he only buys what he needs and doesn't hold "extra" stones for show.

He seems geniuine and he does show the wholesaler sites he buys from and their prices in USD. This particular one is from Israel

Would you say it is the pick of the bunhc he has suggested?
Is there a budget and preferred specs we are working to? :)

My girlfriend said she wants at least a 1C, when she mentioned to her family that I was looking at engagement rings. Her dad made a passing comment about 1.2C!!!!! Hahah so that is a target

Colour: I've been rec ~F
Price: AUD 10,000 for the diamond

My concern is there is too much leakage.
An ASET will most certainly be necessary to show this stone’s performance.
It is my least fav of the 4 potential choices.

Wow least favourite of the 4 he has put forward? I was hoping everyone would say it is a safe bet as the dealer is saying this is the one to go for
Hmmmm he doesn't have the stone, he importing this one from Israel. I am not sure I can can get the ASET, I'll give him a call now

Und

Rough_Rock
The video being a bit short is unfortunate but I think it looks pretty decent - not too much obstruction face on, which is good, and the faceting looks visually interesting to my eyes :)

It might window a bit when tilted/rotated? But that is not uncommon, from what I've seen.

Interesting, the last comment do you mean that it only has a window if it is tilted?

Und

Rough_Rock
I just got off the phone, he will send a new video. He took a video from his phone from the wholesaler website so he missed a bit.

He says it's the best cut and stands by the diamond he recommends and will refund if I am not 100% happy.

Re ASET, he says it is not relevant for an asscher cut and only for a brilliant?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results