shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just bought this stone from Dan Stair. I can''t wait to see it. He described it as a cobalt blue that shifts to a purple in different lighting. Not sure how I will like the size but I just had to go for it. I love the softer, lighter blue stones and have wanted an asscher cut since finding this forum. IF it''s a keeper I will eventually have it set but will have to wait until this Fall when I''m back to work (recently had surgery and am in recovery). I''m thinking ring because of the smaller size. Most likely antique as well. I''m always open to expert opinions. You all have such wonderful ideas. Thanks in advance for any input.

Jess

103SpinAsscher2.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Jess, it looks just beautiful. I love the color. When you receive it, please take a picture of it ok?

I do hope you are feeling better after your surgery.

Linda

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jess,
It looks lovely, love the color!! What is the carat weight?? Please take lots of pics for us once you get it. And best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would be yummy as a halo ring or pendant!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a GORGEOUS stone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2007 4:07:53 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Jess,
It looks lovely, love the color!! What is the carat weight?? Please take lots of pics for us once you get it. And best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!
Ditto Kaleigh and Dee- it is STUNNING!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery also. I love the halo idea of KC's too.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the comments and the well-wishes. I really appreciate both. The stone is 1.03 ct. , 5.2mm from side to side, and 6.2 from corner to corner. It''s on the small side but I just loved the color and cut so much I had to try it. It''s also "eye-clean to possibly flawless" as Dan stated. I''m hoping it looks just as beautiful in person. I love the halo idea. I''ll have to start my search now so when the time comes to buy, I''ll be ready
emteeth.gif

Jess

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Not only is the color gorgeous, but the faceting is great. I love step cut stones like that, they almost remind me of looking into mirrors reflectng off one another into infinity. It might also look good set on it''s side, as in a diamond shape.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wat for you to get it. I''d do a halo, that would be stunning!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great buy, GemLover.

To all, what would you consider the name/type of cut of this spinel? I have read the term French cut for it (I think Widget has sidestones with this cut to go with her asscher in a 3 stone ring). I don''t think it is a true asscher as there are no windmills. The center cutting of the stone looks very different. Modified asscher perhaps? What does Dan call this cut?

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a lovely stone!!! I can''t wait to see pics when you''ve got it in hand!

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Chrono,

Dan calls it an asscher style step cut square. I guess I need to look more closely at true assscher cuts.
emembarrassed.gif
Anyway, I''ll just have to keep looking for my asscher stone but hopefully keep this one as a bonus. Thanks for the info!!!

Jess

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love it!!! My favorite color is purple and that stone is gorgeous!!!!
Cant wait to see it set
21.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is so cool! I love the color
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone! You''ve got a treasure there, Gem Lover. I can''t wait to see what you do with it.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
It''s here!!!!! And it''s beautiful!!!! Much darker than I expected so looks a lot like a sapphire. It is pretty small but is so sparkley and clean, I''m going to keep it. I''ve already taken some pictures but am having a difficult time capturing the color shifting. It really does shift to a purpley color when indoors. I have a preety nice digital Kodak camera, with no directions of course. Does anyone have advice on how to take great pictures of stones and jewelry. SOOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!! Okay, rant over. I''ll post some pics soon. Thanks everyone.

Jess

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
use the macro function or flower looking button, hope that helps and can''t wait for those pics. hehehe

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Thanks Skippy123. The server won''t let me download pictures
emsad.gif
. Are they doing work on this site? I think I read that earlier today. Ohwell, I''ll try again later or tomorrow.

Jess

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
the image can''t be bigger than 100kb and it needs to be named something unique like 23214323asscher not just asscher.
Hope that helps.
35.gif

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Thanks again skippy123. Still not great pictures. It is much nicer IRL. I have to keep practicing.

4432659spinel.JPG

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
another

4435694spinel.JPG

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
last one

4435697spinel.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good! How are you planning to set it? I'm assuming it's a keeper?

ETA
How would you rate his picture and description of the stone compared to what you see in person?

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono,

His written description was pretty close but the picture he sent is quite a bit lighter. I do like lighter blue stones but am not disappointed. This spinel does have a color shift, I just cannot get a picture of it. As you can see, I can''t take a good picture at all
emangry.gif
. Anyway, I want to make a ring out of it. I really need help with this. I want something that will make it look bigger but not take away from the stone. I think WG will look better but am definitly open to any suggestions. A few people mentioned halos. I''m not sure what my budget will be yet as I have to wait until the fall. When I''m ready I''ll be back for help.

Jess

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
By George, I think she''s got it! Better pics I hope.

103mysp45.JPG

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
another

103mysp985.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, beautiful!!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2007 2:04:46 AM
Author: Gem Lover
Thanks again skippy123. Still not great pictures. It is much nicer IRL. I have to keep practicing.
Yay, I am glad you are showing us pics!!! Gorgeous
30.gif

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
That''s a very beautiful gem. Thank you for sharing more pictures. How large is it? I think it''s a versatile shape and size. You could find a vast amount of diamond solitaire mounts that it would look great in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results