shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Cut Men's Ring Settings

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am looking for Men's settings for a 2 carat Asscher Cut Diamond. I saw a thread showing these tension settings and was wondering if anyone knew of similar designs?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-four-tension-settings.139063/#top-post']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-four-tension-settings.139063/#top-post[/URL]

Kenny, I would love to see all of your Asscher rings if you would show them.
I am wondering what the name of the setting is (third from the left).

Also, does keeping the stone more open make it perform better than a closed setting?

I'd love your feedback! Thx.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this gym. :wavey:
I'll make some time later to post a proper reply.

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kenny! can't wait ;-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, Kenny, but since Gym started this thread I felt weird starting another one to ask you a question as well :lol:

Do you mind sharing the mm size of your largest tension-set asscher (I believe the other thread says its 2.2 carats?) I ask because I also want a BB tension setting, but he said that anything over 7mm is going to be really hard to set. So wondering if maybe I got a square shaped stone then I could get something larger than 7mm?

Thanks and sorry for threadjacking!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know about BB setting. Here is my 7.4 mm Octavia on a Palladium 500 Gelin Abaci tension setting.

img_12452.jpg

img_12453.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
DF i am so glad that you posted your pics....

I LOVE IT!!!

BB - Boone rings/ Bruce Boone?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1470792585|4064099 said:

That's what I was reading it as :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1470848513|4064345 said:
gregchang35|1470792585|4064099 said:

That's what I was reading it as :)

Yup, that's what I meant, sorry! I love his work (and the pictures Kenny has posted are amazing) so was trying to figure out whether maybe he told me 7mm was max because I was originally asking about rounds. But it seems like the rings Kenny has from him also have smaller than 7mm stones--just was curious. I :love: all of Kenny's rings :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I'm so very late.
I just got home from business trip.
The puter with all my pics was here at home and I'm not one of those who like the 'cloud' or synching devices.

Lemme see if the pics I have here help answer questions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, DF--I was too late to edit my post! I meant to compliment your ring and say thanks for showing it off! It's incredible and is a great size on you!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gym33019|1470609620|4063395 said:
Hi, I am looking for Men's settings for a 2 carat Asscher Cut Diamond. I saw a thread showing these tension settings and was wondering if anyone knew of similar designs?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-four-tension-settings.139063/#top-post']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-four-tension-settings.139063/#top-post[/URL]

Kenny, I would love to see all of your Asscher rings if you would show them.
I am wondering what the name of the setting is (third from the left).

Also, does keeping the stone more open make it perform better than a closed setting?

I'd love your feedback! Thx.

IIRC, the setting you asking about was Boonering "Princess" in Titanium.
I don't remember that name but it looks like it.

I do not recommend it.
It does not hold the stone securely enough IMO.
There are just grooves cut into each side and given enough force the diamond can slide along the groove ... given enough of a push it could be pushed right out of the setting.
Hopefully this pic illustrates this.

Here is the same setting after removing the 2.26 ct asscher.
Notice the continuous channel ... nothing is holding the diamond in place.
Next to it is another titanium Boone setting that used to hold a round diamond.

At times I'd look down and notice the asscher had slid over and I'd push it back to center it in the ring.
Bad news.
IIRC I told Boone about this and I'm surprised he sells a few designs like this.
DF's beautiful Gelin Abaci setting is much safer!

I've posted many pics over the years in many threads, but for your convenience I'll repost some again here.

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_12.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_0.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_2.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both Octavias in Boonering Sidegroove settings.
Titanium on left, Cobalt Chrome on the right ... notice how much brighter CC is.

Sideview of Sidegrooves, showing distance from skin to culet.

Both Octavias in Sidegrooves.

My Octavia in Sidegrooves.

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_3.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_4.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_5.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_6.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First pic is my Octavia 1.51 ct G VS2 in Cobalt Chrome.

Next two: My former 2.26 F VVS2 generic asscher on left, Partner's 1.38 H VS2 Octavia on right.
Both of these rings are titanium

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_8.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_9.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_10.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Notice how better-protected the diamond on the left is.

Fun lighting experiment:

Side view of Sidegrooves.
Notice how much area light can enter and exit diamond ... on my previous setting (Princess) this was all blocked by metal.

Corny shot. :lol:

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_11.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_13.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_14.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_15.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current asscher (the Octavia) is in Boonering Sidegroove setting.
It holds the stone securely and IMO the design compliments the asscher's shape and pattern, plus you don't lose view of the entire left and right side of the diamond.
Sidegrooves being a much more open setting lets more light into and out of the diamond - giving a much better light show.

I strongly prefer Boone's alloy of Cobalt Chrome.
It is much whiter and brighter than Titanium.
I've been wearing it a few years now it has not tarnished at all.
My partner's Titanium ring has tarnished to a very dark shade.

sidegrooves.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_16.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_17.png

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_18.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1470709005|4063718 said:
Sorry, Kenny, but since Gym started this thread I felt weird starting another one to ask you a question as well :lol:

Do you mind sharing the mm size of your largest tension-set asscher (I believe the other thread says its 2.2 carats?) I ask because I also want a BB tension setting, but he said that anything over 7mm is going to be really hard to set. So wondering if maybe I got a square shaped stone then I could get something larger than 7mm?

I found the old thread on my 2.26 asscher:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-asscher.123839/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-asscher.123839/[/URL]

It was 7.4 mm.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1470791978|4064094 said:
Don't know about BB setting. Here is my 7.4 mm Octavia on a Palladium 500 Gelin Abaci tension setting.

I love this ring, and I love the flurorence, this is one heck of a classy ring.. :appl: :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1470903464|4064677 said:
lovedogs|1470709005|4063718 said:

I found the old thread on my 2.26 asscher:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-asscher.123839/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-asscher.123839/[/URL]

It was 7.4 mm.

Thanks, Kenny! Your ring(s) are incredible, and that thread is full of amazing pics. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lovedogs.

BTW to the OP, I was wrong.
The Boonering holding my 2.26 generic is not the 'Princess' setting.
Mine was much more bulky.
I could not find it on his website.

IIRC the name might have been something like Eclipse or Ellipse, if you want to ask Bruce Boone about it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found it.
I overlooked it before because I was only looking at the settings shown with square diamonds. :wall:

Again, I do not recommend it for a square stone as IMO it's not safe.

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_7.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1470931782|4064782 said:
Thanks Lovedogs.

IIRC the name might have been something like Eclipse or Ellipse, if you want to ask Bruce Boone about it.

Kenny: overall, do you recommend the Sidegrooves for all stone shapes? Or do you think some of the other styles would be ok with a round? I guess the question is: do you think side grooves is the safest regardless of shape? Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Greg, Lovedog and Tekate for your nice compliment.. :wavey:

OP...Kenny gave you ex advises. He is very knowledgeable about tension settings. Beautiful pics Kenny!.. :love: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1470935014|4064804 said:
Kenny: overall, do you recommend the Sidegrooves for all stone shapes? Or do you think some of the other styles would be ok with a round? I guess the question is: do you think side grooves is the safest regardless of shape? Thanks!

First let me say I'm no expert.
I only have my reasoning and a bit of experience to go on.

I certainly don't want to hurt Boone's business.
He's a great guy who does fast, good affordable work.
I just feel any of his designs that have a continuous straight slot for holding square stones are not safe.
The problem has nothing to do with tension settings losing tension, opening up, and losing their grip on the stone, rather the diamond is just not secured in the gap well enough.
We've had two of his settings for round diamonds, and they are fine.
IMO sidegrooves is as safe as his designs for holding round stones.

We have two of his settings from which we have removed the diamonds, so I just took a new pic illustrating the two kind of cuts that hold stones.
The one on the left used to have a round diamond.
The one on the right, an asscher.
The cut for the round one holds the diamond securely; IOW, the diamond cannot slide back and forth in the gap.
The one with the slit machined into it for square stones allows the stone to move along the channel, and if pushed/hit just right may result in the diamond falling out.

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_19.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1470936324|4064814 said:

OP...Kenny gave you ex advises. He is very knowledgeable about tension settings. Beautiful pics Kenny!.. :love: :appl:

Thanks DF.
Wanna trade Octavias?
Your honker for my little chip?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Kenny! Your posts are always incredibly informative, and I really appreciate the pics showing the difference between the two kinds of "cuts" that hold the stones. I can definitely see the difference between the two, so it makes sense that for a square stone the side grooves is likely best, but for a round there is more flexibility.

I love Bruce Boone's work, and he's always been super responsive in answering my questions, so I totally understand that you're giving your own thoughts based on your experiences. But that is really helpful to me as someone who's never owned or really looked at a tension setting in person since you are on of the resident experts :)

Thank you again!! :wavey: :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome.

DF's Gelin Abaci does not have that kind of groove cut into it.
It's totally safe.
So it is possible to safely tension set an asscher in a setting with a solid side.

Perhaps ask Bruce to look into this and develop a new process.
I don't know, perhaps it's not possible with the metals Bruce uses.
Perhaps there's more flexibility working with gold and platinum, which Bruce does not offer.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1470935014|4064804 said:
kenny|1470931782|4064782 said:
Thanks Lovedogs.

IMO, the grooves is a MUST HAVE on all tension settings with any shape of stones so that there are no chance of the stone sliding out. The girdle of the stone will sit tight in the grooves if done properly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1470936439|4064816 said:

Thanks DF.
Wanna trade Octavias?
You can always upgrade. Jon is waiting for you to call.. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1470940490|4064845 said:
kenny|1470936439|4064816 said:

Thanks DF.
Wanna trade Octavias?
You can always upgrade. Jon is waiting for you to call.. :wink2:

I did, but Jonathan said you used up all the diamond rough that was left in the world. ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results