shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher cut help?

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I realize there will be a lot of subjective preferences here, but since I'm just learning here, does anyone have anything to point out that I need to think about in terms of how these few asschers look straight on? Assume they are all eye clean. I'm just looking at the light, symmetry, design, etc. Asschers.jpg

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I look for asschers with even steps and even areas of contrast. I don't like seeing thick and thin areas of contrast. I also don't want a diamond that is too dark or contrasty at once.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Also, is there an issue with the stones that are showing yellow tones in the facets? I'd have expected to only see black, gray, and white.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, is there an issue with the stones that are showing yellow tones in the facets? I'd have expected to only see black, gray, and white.
There is something yellow in the environment they are picking up.
Do you have any video?

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I look for asschers with even steps and even areas of contrast. I don't like seeing thick and thin areas of contrast. I also don't want a diamond that is too dark or contrasty at once.
To this point, A & C are not pleasing to my eye.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

This - WWW

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock

I like the overall effect there and wish I could find one like only a bit cleaner - my eye went right to the many reflections of that crystal.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This is serious magnification - so it may be worth checking clarity grades in real life. I am certainly too tolerant of clarity characteristics!

Digressing,
... in fact, there were two diamonds on my shortlist before posting the one above: this is the other www - I would slightly prefer the faceting (crisp overlap of reflections - so broader looking 'steps') & expect no detraction from any other aspect (I assume you might raise at least three).

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
B and the one AV_ found based on the information available look very well cut to me.
You would have to see them in person to confirm.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the overall effect there and wish I could find one like only a bit cleaner - my eye went right to the many reflections of that crystal.

My advice is get this one and look at it in real life.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the one that AV found you and of the ones that you posted,B.. They are different flavors of asschers but both lovely. I love how a really good asscher draws your eye further in like a series of windows. The best step cuts possess an effect called a "hall of mirrors".

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
not bad but not as good as b and the one av found.

Are there any hints I can take from these videos, in terms of blacks, grays, whites, etc., as to what the light performance might be using an ASET? When you say, b and the stone AV found are better, would you mind specifically saying what B and the one AV have that make them better (or maybe what this most recent one lacks). I may be trying to make a partly subjective assessment an objective one, but I value the opinions.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The last one you see the dark zones under/around the edge of the table.
Static it doesn't look to bad and it gives the stone depth when viewing in person.
But in the video it looks a little lazy in that area with overly slow flashes as its rotated.
Static contrast and patterns are great but they need to flash when moved.
A great asscher has pleasing patterns when static and dances with even slight movement.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Ah, ok. I can see how that would make sense.

So, I'm looking for not just a pleasing pattern when static, but the moment it shifts, everything should start moving. No lazy stones! heh. Thanks. =)

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
And Karl, et al. , if you wouldn't mind looking back at B ( https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11185320 ) for a final opinion on that one. Do you think that's a good pick to have them send me to look at in person, given the price, and all? Assuming it is, what should I be looking to see (or not see) in person?

Though I do like a lot about AV's suggestion, in the end, I'm not too fond of the asymmetry in the shape's main cuts, for setting purposes. I've virtually set it myself in a few things, and it's just a little bit too wonky, not to mention the crystal.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The one AV chose is a stellar performer. It’s edges have a slightly softened look that’s you may or may not like. I believe it’s an effect cause by the cut style, which is 3 crown and 4 or 5 pavilion facets, I can’t tell which from the video. Of note it is a 1.05 ratio and will not look entirely square. Again you may or may not like this.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In terms of sparkle it will outperform the others.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In terms of sparkle it will outperform the others.
Based on what?
Its one of 3 that have high potential based on available information.
There is not enough information to call one better cut than the other 2.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Based on what?
Its one of 3 that have high potential based on available information.
There is not enough information to call one better cut than the other 2.
I’m not saying it’s a better cut; but it is different in dispersion from the video with more sparkle than broad facets. If the preference is for broader flashes that would be a better cut for the OP. Could be wrong of course; it’s just what I see in the video performance.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Are there any hints I can take from these videos, in terms of blacks, grays, whites, etc., as to what the light performance might be using an ASET?

I suspect that the blue/black of the ASET & the black in the front shots must overlap - but they do not coincide; similarly, the stark white in the front picture must overlap with the ASET red, approximately. The shots & videos are not standardized as ASET shots wished they were.

Of course, one can look at a tilted diamond with the ASET & find out how brilliant the diamond might still look at a small tilt: - to discover if the stone blinks off at the slightest tilt (like a shard of mirror, with caveats) & - to discover if gray facets (in face up position) turn bright with a slight motion or not - that is, if they contribute to a look of brilliance or not. I'd say this is the meaning of ASET green.

Then, the BN shots are hardly ever sligned as expected of ASET shots (perhaps by chance, give some pavilion angles, as the stones sit on a side...), so it is not fair to asess symmetry from the mangled black lines of the face-up shots.

This is bootleg ASET & I haven't put these notes on a ballot.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The one AV chose ... It’s edges have a slightly softened look that’s you may or may not like.

This is why I prefer the other one.

Then again, these are my choices from BN today - www & www - the first (second mentioned above) is an acquired taste (everyne here will know where from www) the other is my sort of thing. Yours @Venzen007 are much tamer!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
It was me! I'm going to take a look at it in person. I wish I was going to have something to compare it to. I'm tempted to choose another one for that very reason. I saved those you just mentioned to look at tomorrow. Which one would you recommend, if I did?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results