shape
carat
color
clarity

Aset scope?

masterlegend

Rough_Rock
When using the aset scope what would a fake diamond look like?
Plus when using the fog test is true that fog for more than 4 sec is a fake?
Thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, ASET scope will not be able to tell apart as it only tells the light return, a well cut fake can have as good a light return if the proportion is correct for that refractive index.

No, fog test is unreliable.

wedge

Rough_Rock
ASET cannot differentiate between diamond and fake; that's why the scope is sold with an "ideal CZ" for comparison.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
90% of the time you can easilly separate diamond from the various fakes with a simple inspection using a 10x loupe and looking at the inclusions, the girdle treatment and similar clues. If you don't know what to look for or if you can't find anything to pin your ID on, find a pro to assist. Most jewelry stores and pawnshops can identify diamonds quickly and easily using a thermal conductivity tester that they have on hand and they'll generally do it for free and while you wait. Ask.

masterlegend

Rough_Rock
So what could one use?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The fog test works OK if you have a diamond you know for sure is a diamond to compare with. The differences in heat conductivity make the CZ retain fog for longer. You can't say for sure how long a CZ vs. a diamond will fog up, because of differences in humidity of the air. But, between the two, you can definitely see the fog last longer on a CZ of similar size.

The girdle is usually the quickest, easiest check, if the stone is a round brilliant or other round cut. A diamond will have either a bruted (frosted appearance) girdle or a faceted one- not a perfectly polished smooth girdle. A CZ will have a polished smooth girdle with no facets. I've never seen any variation on this, every CZ I have ever seen has had a flat polished girdle. For princess cuts and others with corners, this doesn't hold true.

And of course a diamond tester will separate diamond from everything else. All it does is say "diamond" or "not diamond", it doesn't ID the material that is not-diamond.

Low quality common CZs have a weird look to them too- super, super white, very stark looking and no inclusions, and sometimes a strange blue tinge. Not many D/IF diamonds out there, and most CZ is "D/IF". They also are dirt and grease magnets, even more than a diamond.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe fog test and diamond tester both use the thermal conductivity of a diamond as a test, probably will not work with CZ coated with diamond and moissanite.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The big problem with the fog test, as LGK alludes, it that people don’t have a basis for comparison. If you’ve see a lot of diamonds it’s pretty easy,but, if you’ve seen a lot of diamonds, it’s usually pretty easy anyway. If you haven’t, it’s hard to know if the fog is clearing up quickly, slowly or if it’s just about right. The other problem is that cleaning makes a big difference on this. In the extreme, some stones are already foggy looking after all. :-o

Thin coatings on the CZ’s have no appreciable affect on this test (or the thermal testers) although Moissanite can cause some confusion for people as it is pretty diamondlike in it’s response to fogging as well as the thermal testers.

masterlegend

Rough_Rock
Well here is my scenerio one i am a very nervous person to begin with. Ive been married one year and my wife bent her tacori setting i got a post a while back if people remember. Tacori was greqt fixed the setting like brand new no charge. I took the diamond out as i Was not sending my gia certfied princess cut diamond 1.09 ct brillant vs1 color f flourescence faint out in the mail. So i got my setting back and went to a setter to set it. He let me sit with him and watch but im still nervous he could have switched. I dont know if im driving myself crazy but when i look at it seems different even though i have not really studied it in two years since its my wifes not mine. So should i have another Apprasial as i did one when i first got it and it was a great one. I will try to get some pics of before and afters.
Worried arghhhh

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Get it appraised, and then get it insured. That doesn't eliminate the risk that someone will steal your diamond but it WILL lower your blood pressure and that alone should be worth your money. *IF* the setter, Takori or the Post Office had lost damaged or stolen a covered piece during the process you describe it would have almost certainly been a covered loss under a standard sort of policy.

Your appraiser should have no problem both in confirming that it's a diamond but also matching it to the GIA report you already have, evaluating the craftsmanship of the rework you just had done and in documenting it so that you'll be properly covered in the case of a loss. If you were happy with the appraiser's work last time, go back to the same place. They may have some records on the piece already.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It is super, super unlikely a reputable jeweler would risk his reputation over swapping a stone. It happens very, very rarely. Especially if you were right there in the room, I would say you have nothing to worry about.

If you're still fretting go to any local jeweler or pawn shop- they'll tell you in about 10 seconds for free if it's a diamond or not.

And yeah- then get it appraised and insured and you'll definitely have less to worry about :bigsmile:

masterlegend

Rough_Rock
I know an apprasial is what i need its also just it being a lesser quality diamond. Im just nervous nelly

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results