shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET images for final two cushion Brilliant options

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
1.8 H VS1 ($14,000):

7141AA03-3EE7-4764-AF10-E805E60237D5.jpeg 357EE5B3-4CB7-4500-A54D-9D929C6FD80A.jpeg
1.72 D VS2 ($15,500):

AFA56590-601D-4614-9030-160A6A5FA8F4.jpeg 51A0FD4B-1B6A-46FE-837B-9806663ACD6E.jpeg Looking for a brilliant cushion around 1.8ct and have a hard time finding dealers that can find one let alone a few to sample. Today a dealer showed me three 8 facet Cushion Brilliants and one 4 facet CB.

Two of them were so unique and not quite as firey that I passed on them. Of the final two, one 8 facet was a D color which wasn’t necessary for me and the other was a four facet G. The dealer was so awesome to work with and made me ASETs and Ideascopes on location. Curious what you guys think of these two options. I have my clear favorite but curious to see what you all think?

Last edited:

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
286A7E67-EDA8-41B1-816D-2A6B9296048A.jpeg Any just for fun, here is the ASET of the stone I originally bought online before rejecting it. The light leak under the table was just too much.

1.8 H VVS2 ($11,200) (ASET shot on my iPhone):

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the first one but they both look nice

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you have large areas of the diamond in ASET that are black when there is blue present there are issues particularity in a ring.(some remove the blue top and the blue becomes black. AGS is ok with this as long as a white background is used)
These areas are pointing directly back at the center of the scope which means they are going to over obstruct in the real world.
The reason for this with this stone is explained right here:
80A.jpeg
See those numbers just above 40 those are the areas that show up as black in the aset image.
In the other diamond they are even more shallow and you get leakage over parts of them.
If it was not tilted in the image it would look worse.

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
When you have large areas of the diamond in ASET that are black when there is blue present there are issues particularity in a ring.(some remove the blue top and the blue becomes black. AGS is ok with this as long as a white background is used)
These areas are pointing directly back at the center of the scope which means they are going to over obstruct in the real world.
The reason for this with this stone is explained right here:
80A.jpeg
See those numbers just above 40 those are the areas that show up as black in the aset image.
In the other diamond they are even more shallow and you get leakage over parts of them.
If it was not tilted in the image it would look worse.

It looks like you are referring to the 1.8ct right? Do you prefer this stone over the 1.7 or are you saying this is the best one but still has some issues?

All things considered, are either or both of these ASETs reasonable for someone placing priority on cut but not wanting to chase after the perfect stone for months?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like you are referring to the 1.8ct right? Do you prefer this stone over the 1.7 or are you saying this is the best one but still has some issues?

All things considered, are either or both of these ASETs reasonable for someone placing priority on cut but not wanting to chase after the perfect stone for months?

I don’t believe Karl will be able to comment or make suggestions on your specific stones since he is in the trade, but just wanted to say if your eyes picked out a clear favorite after seeing them in person in various lighting, don’t doubt your eyes or worry about what we prefer. You do you! Having said that, I like the H.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

yea the 1.8 has the shallow facets and the 1.72 the even shallower facets.
I would consider them above average but not the best so maybe a very good grade.
Not knowing what else is one the market its hard to answer the second question.
Which was your favorite in person?

phaskellhall

Rough_Rock
yea the 1.8 has the shallow facets and the 1.72 the even shallower facets.
I would consider them above average but not the best so maybe a very good grade.
Not knowing what else is one the market its hard to answer the second question.
Which was your favorite in person?

In my mind there was no doubt the less expensive 1.8ct looked better to me.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results