shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET/IdealScope images: Opinions needed...

AR1631

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Here are images for a GIA 3ex, F COLOR • VVS2 CLARITY
Measurements: 5.61 x 5.59 x 3.39
Crown angle: 32.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Table: 55%
Depth: 60.5
HCA - 0.8
Girdle: Thin-Slightly Thick (faceted) 3%
http://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cyorings/view_diamond/2556073/?sid=1151384

Looks pretty good from what I can tell, but most members on here are saying the crown angle is too low. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

1921079a_aset.jpg

1921079a_idealscope.jpg

1921079a_magnified.jpg

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
It looks pretty to me too. Maybe this is a case where numbers don't tell the whole picture? I'm interested in hearing what other people think.

AR1631

Rough_Rock
girlguineapig|1475162505|4081986 said:
It looks pretty to me too. Maybe this is a case where numbers don't tell the whole picture? I'm interested in hearing what other people think.
Hopefully I get some more expert opinions! I quite like the fact that this diamond faces up a little bigger than a regular 0.64C as well...

AR1631

Rough_Rock
Anyone?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With a crown angle of 32.5, although the light return (as demonstrated by the ASET) would be excellent, and nice apparent symmetry, the fire and/or scintillation may be compromised as the crown facets are relatively small. This is however slightly offset by a slightly smaller table of 55% which increases of the crown height %. ASET/idealscopes demonstrate good light return rather than measuring coloured light or pin fire flashes.

It will certainly be a pretty diamond, but one that favours bright white light return compared to a 35/40.6 diamond that may have more of a balance between white light and fire/scintillation. Although for your stone it does score excellent for fire/scintillation..

Ensure you have a good refund policy etc. I remember reading some posts a few months ago of some disappointed buyer who bought a nice shallow crown diamond and was disappointed with the sparkle factor afterwards.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gm89uk|1475178388|4082119 said:
With a crown angle of 32.5, although the light return (as demonstrated by the ASET) would be excellent, and nice apparent symmetry, the fire and/or scintillation may be compromised as the crown facets are relatively small. This is however slightly offset by a slightly smaller table of 55% which increases of the crown height %. ASET/idealscopes demonstrate good light return rather than measuring coloured light or pin fire flashes.

It will certainly be a pretty diamond, but one that favours bright white light return compared to a 35/40.6 diamond that may have more of a balance between white light and fire/scintillation. Although for your stone it does score excellent for fire/scintillation..

Ensure you have a good refund policy etc. I remember reading some posts a few months ago of some disappointed buyer who bought a nice shallow crown diamond and was disappointed with the sparkle factor afterwards.

I mostly agree with what gm89uk said. ASET/IS images reveal light return, leakage, and contrast pattern. It does not say anything about dispersion (or fire). Many diamonds with low crown angles don't show much light leakage. But they generally don't qualify for AGS Ideal, probably because of significant deduction in dispersion. This is why you need to use all assessment tools available to you (proportions, actual images, IS/ASET, etc..) to get the full picture.

I have a diamond with 32.5 crown angle. It is beautiful in its own right with white light return and amazing spread. Question is "is it good enough for you?"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results