shape
carat
color
clarity

Artcarved setting opinions

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BD7BC2FE-5200-4E67-9435-18DEAAEB7EDD.jpeg 67DC774E-C112-4B30-96CE-D8BAC428BCD1.jpeg 1D656256-CA68-4F61-A4FE-F212C38AC817.jpeg so over the weekend I made the mistake of walking into a jewelry store and trying on this setting. I fell in love with how thin the shank is and how it raises the stone. Also love the 4 prong compass orientation. But mostly gravitated to it bc it reminded me of the antique style settings that I have always wanted for my right hand, but never got bc well it’s too high for a right hand and too ering looking for rhr. Also, when I’ve come across these, as antiques, they are for 1 carat stones or smaller. The sales lady told me that it is a replica of their most popular setting in 1910! Popular as in it was the setting that artcarved sold the most in 1910.

Now, I know that I’m a serial resetter and am just starting to appreciate my soli. But something about this setting really spoke to me! We all know that I’m not going to chAnge my resetting disorder. Lol. But please tell me if you think this setting looks to flimsy or would not be compatible with a modern rb. My concern is that the shank is super thin. In the pictures, it is set with a 1.25 cubic but artcarved would custom make mine so I have yet to find out if the shank would change in thickness

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Nala! I was just starting to enjoy you solitaire as well haha but the heart wants what the heart wants!
I have some experience with Artcarved and overall I think that they make quality settings. However, after seeing the antique ring design that you liked, I thought of another company - whitehouse bothers. https://www.whitehousebrothers.com/ their settings are beautiful and die struck vs cast. The above setting seems to be a combo between modern and antique. I personally gravitate toward more antique settings, but you will be wearing it!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Nala! I was just starting to enjoy you solitaire as well haha but the heart wants what the heart wants!
I have some experience with Artcarved and overall I think that they make quality settings. However, after seeing the antique ring design that you liked, I thought of another company - whitehouse bothers. https://www.whitehousebrothers.com/ their settings are beautiful and die struck vs cast. The above setting seems to be a combo between modern and antique. I personally gravitate toward more antique settings, but you will be wearing it!

Thank you! Oh that is beautiful. But tbh, I don’t like to spend a ton on settings bc of how fickle I am! So your option is a lot over budget! I’m glad to hear you like artcarved! That is reassuring! I’m not 100 percent sure that I will move forward with this one, am just doing my research in case the impulse takes over!

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Okay so I don't love this setting BUT I feel like your stone makes any setting amazing. Each setting you have, I think "this one is the best" and then you reset and I go okay "this one is the best now" so I have no doubt if you go with this setting it will be amazing!
Having said all that ~ I do love your current setting, especially with the double prong situation.....

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful but it does look very delicate. Beautiful filigree profile. I can see why it speaks to you. I think you could put an antique or modern cut stone in that setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the millgrain looks heavy

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so I don't love this setting BUT I feel like your stone makes any setting amazing. Each setting you have, I think "this one is the best" and then you reset and I go okay "this one is the best now" so I have no doubt if you go with this setting it will be amazing!
Having said all that ~ I do love your current setting, especially with the double prong situation.....
Lol! You are too sweet. Thanks for enabling me!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful but it does look very delicate. Beautiful filigree profile. I can see why it speaks to you. I think you could put an antique or modern cut stone in that setting.
Ty! I think it just lifts the stone so high and feels so regal!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get David Klass or someone to replicate it personally although no doubt a pretty design the actual ring is badly cast and unattractive because of that IMHO. And I like your existing ring a lot more.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your current solitaire a lot more. It radiates luxury and elegance. It also works so well for stacking.

I can see why you love the Artcarved ring though. In that case I second @arkieb1 ‘s suggestion to ask David Klass to make you a high quality piece as this one looks a bit cheap and might not work well with your bands.

I hope you will keep your current ring.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkieb and Acinom, agreed on the quality. I think that is why I posted. Still love the style. But not ready to move on from my soli just yet! TY!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this setting - it reminds me of the Stuller one @ringo865 modified for her ring - she had the prongs changed to compass set and it looks really great. So that might be an option too?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this setting - it reminds me of the Stuller one @ringo865 modified for her ring - she had the prongs changed to compass set and it looks really great. So that might be an option too?
Thank you! Its gorgeous.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: so the jeweler called and said they can customize it for my stone. I asked for measurements of shank and he said it is 2.5 mm wide. My current setting is 1.9 mm. Talk about optical illusions! The knife’s edge really appears thinner than mine. I plan to visit tonight and take hand pics. Just to see. Lol

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
66531C39-FF3D-4608-B0F5-05094CB5A97A.jpeg 024F9EA0-B47B-4FB7-A8EB-029DDD2A7F8D.jpeg 03B21025-B356-4C7A-9806-C8245908E58D.jpeg BD4D740F-E51D-430B-A31D-DCD929F0A521.jpeg Ok. So. I just got back. Got to say that after scrutinizing it, it doesn’t feel nor look Cheap! Also, played around with my stackers and found out that I like the stacked look with it bc it reduces the negative space since it sits flush.
Also, tried on another setting that has been on my bucket setting list only to discover that it doesn’t stack well. I discovered that I need a ring that stacks well for my short fingers.
Here are a few shots. Top one is with matching band.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2D080588-2C40-47AD-944D-E6839641FD1F.jpeg CB1E7DD6-B052-40F0-9C7F-65E60BB8DC3C.jpeg 743B1320-A548-4268-9386-5E6A46CD686F.jpeg More. First one was on my bucket list but I don’t like the gap for stacking Bc I have short fingers.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
151B620E-73CF-4CD5-811C-8E9F43AF14B6.jpeg 95FC29D6-BF1A-4E81-A52C-CC9A10B213A4.jpeg 2CFF91F7-AA0D-4BD1-A2CB-D68D985B5D24.jpeg Finally. An estimate of my stone set in compass orientation. Wish I could photoshop it on the setting. Lol

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I like your existing setting much better :saint:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks way better than I had expected. Love it with the matching band + your band(s), especially from the top view.

From the profile I like it a litte less stacked, because of the difference in height.

Was expecting for it too look cheap but it does not!!! The compass orientation is also really nice.

Howeverrrr... I do love your current set so much!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F70E724C-A391-4218-9506-D7A867E9061B.jpeg 4EAE2000-0FAC-4B67-939B-D106483452BE.png
Looks way better than I had expected. Love it with the matching band + your band(s), especially from the top view.

From the profile I like it a litte less stacked, because of the difference in height.

Was expecting for it too look cheap but it does not!!! The compass orientation is also really nice.

Howeverrrr... I do love your current set so much!

Yes. I was taken by surprise when I went back. I think milgrain Can be very misleading in pictures! Also, It felt a lot more substantial as well.
So I’ve been pondering why I’m infatuated with it. I’m posting a pic of the inspiration ring that I think this setting resembles. What I love about it is how tall it sits and how the basket seems to have a waist. Lol. I have always wanted this feel but like I said, wouldn’t be comfy for my right hand. And I don’t want the antique one bc I feel I need a more modern feel for my stone. What do you think? Am I way off comparing these two?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can clearly see the relation between these two rings. The inspiration ring seems much more vulnerable compared to its modern cousin though: the head of the antique version can easily be chopped off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results