shape
carat
color
clarity

art deco yellow sapphire solitaire?

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
i bought this ring online from an antique shop in ohio. it was listed as simply beautiful yellow stone 10k gold ring. i have looked at the stone with a loop and i do see some inclusions. a finger print, there is a spot tht is cloudlike. i am hoping it is a yellow sapphire, and really hoping for untreated. any thoughts, comments appreciated :) ** also the stone appears to be ceylon cut** 20200719_224600.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pretty ring! The style makes me think 1940's.
I suspect it is citrine, because of the 10k setting.
A big yellow sapphire would be set into higher karat gold, like 14k,18k or platinum, and would probably have diamonds in the setting, too.

Last edited:

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
thank you! i was wondering, Citrine, Heliodor maybe. i havent often seen pale yellow citrine, most i have seen are orange or golden in color.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring.
There are a couple of gemstones that are coloured yellow including Citrine which is a form of quartz as well as laboratory grown gems.
It can be very difficult to identify between a natural sapphire and a lab grown sapphire. This is why it’s often necessary to get a lab report to be sure.
While it’s possible for the gem to be a natural sapphire, given that the setting is 10k it’s more likely to be either a Citrine or lab grown gem.
Most stores do do some level of testing and will send gems they believe natural out for a lab report or assessment as they can ask more money then.

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
thank you, i just love the look of the ring and the stone to be honest. i will probably at some point have it looked at. i would prefer it to be a natural stone obviously.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you, i just love the look of the ring and the stone to be honest. i will probably at some point have it looked at. i would prefer it to be a natural stone obviously.

I think its beautuful regardless and i love citrine although its not as hard as saphire

I love the shape

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
thank you, i too love the shape, and i am a very big fan of antique vintage pieces.

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
Lovely ring.
There are a couple of gemstones that are coloured yellow including Citrine which is a form of quartz as well as laboratory grown gems.
It can be very difficult to identify between a natural sapphire and a lab grown sapphire. This is why it’s often necessary to get a lab report to be sure.
While it’s possible for the gem to be a natural sapphire, given that the setting is 10k it’s more likely to be either a Citrine or lab grown gem.
Most stores do do some level of testing and will send gems they believe natural out for a lab report or assessment as they can ask more money then.

do lab created gemstones have inclusions?

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
2 other things with my handheld black light it glows a faint pink/orange. and when i use the cheap diamond tester on it, on setting 2 it lights up 5 more squares. not sure what either mean

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would’ve guessed later than 1940’s, but Stracci is much more knowledgeable than me so I will defer to her estimate.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would’ve guessed later than 1940’s, but Stracci is much more knowledgeable than me so I will defer to her estimate.

Hah! You give me way too much credit!! But thanks for your vote of confidence!
I think it has a 40s vibe, like these rings below. I might be wrong. Could be anywhere from 1930s-1950s.
753e2c0fb212f43e013fb5476ad4edaf.jpg bigblu3_3000x3000_l.jpg IMG_9400_7e3d76a6-9354-44ed-a483-3dca063e1d25_110x110@2x.jpg

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
from what i have read lab stones because of the controlled environment wont have the inclusions a natural stone often does. so idk if i would say that they often do, id go with they sometimes do. either way i like the ring for its look. if its a natural stone, bonus. if not i didnt spend a fortune so im all good with it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lab stones can have their own types of inclusions that help identify them. Take it to an independent appraiser to find out what you have.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Does the color of gold on the prongs match the rest of the ring? I suspect that someone put a new stone in an old ring. I know that a sapphire usually would not be put in a 10k ring, so I think the stone was changed later in it's life. I also would not be surprised if it was a yellow sapphire. What a fun ring and mystery!

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
i am not sure, it is in my safe right now. i noticed the stone was a little loose so im not wearing it. i need to have that fixed as well as it looked into at some point. i agree it is fun :) and i love the design as well as the stone. in the end i guess tht is all tht matters.

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
Does the color of gold on the prongs match the rest of the ring? I suspect that someone put a new stone in an old ring. I know that a sapphire usually would not be put in a 10k ring, so I think the stone was changed later in it's life. I also would not be surprised if it was a yellow sapphire. What a fun ring and mystery!

thank you :)

sebastianblue72

Rough_Rock
I imagine because of the size it is wishful thinking for sapphire. lol. we can all dream. i think it is most likely citrine and or maybe synthetic. however the ceylon cut throws me off, if it is normal practice to have that cut on stones that are not natural.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results